Ribs

I think I've bruised them, or had them bruised, by a german in thaibox training who was very generous in dishing out when we were practicing punching and kicking combos.

this was wednesday night. his kicks were hard and I blocked them alright, though my ribcage seemed to be battered into a new shape. his one left footed kick blew the breath out of me. I couldn't breath for a moment and had to gather myself. wasn't even harder than the other kicks... that must've been the culprit.

it was a good session though and I recovered since then, except for one spot, which seemed to have got worse since yesterday. it hurts if I take a deep breath, but it's not TOO bad. I can do press ups without much pain, but pushing down doorhandles and stupid things like that are slightly painful.

obviously I'm out for now, not much I can do about it. I was going to just focus on running until I'm okay for things like thaiboxing again. but how long could I be out for? at which point should I seek a doc to examine it if it get's worse?

is there any way I can accelerate the healing process?

should I just harden the **** up?

It could be a cracked/bruised rib, as you stated. There's **** all you can do but rest and take it easy. It will take at least a week of doing **** all.

Be careful when you sneeze!

Had a simmilar injury after regular boxing training a few years ago (good punch in the ribs). It took about 7 weeks before I could open doors, sneeze and lift a pint without feeling anything. You'll just have to be patient and as said before, see a GP if the pain gets worse. Other than that, there's nothing really you can do about it.

****, the training was going so well lately and an over enthusiastic boxhead ruins everything. we weren't even sparring ffs. I was ready to increase it's intensity.

is taking painkillers (if needed at all) and running a bad idea?

Be careful when you sneeze!
yes I learned that the hard way this morning!

7 weeks!

I want to attend selection before this year ends... hopefully it'll only be a week...

It'll probably take longer than a week - that'll teach you to use your arms and elbows properly.

If there's any swelling/bruising take jarrod's advice. Once it feels better keep the injured area warm and you'll heal quicker.

Should you be using isotonic drinks or protein drinks then for each litre you consume add 2 teaspoons of powdered cement and harden the feck up.

Stop wearing those girly baggy Muay Thai shorts, ankle wraps and bat wing tracksuits as well - they just make you look stupid.

Invest in a mankini - they're the outfits of champions.

It'll probably take longer than a week - that'll teach you to use your arms and elbows properly.
yeah, learned the hard way. I'm still a beginner...

If there's any swelling/bruising take jarrod's advice. Once it feels better keep the injured area warm and you'll heal quicker.
hard to tell if there's any swelling as it's just below my pectoralis major.

Should you be using isotonic drinks or protein drinks then for each litre you consume add 2 teaspoons of powdered cement and harden the feck up.
protein drinks is for eye-brow plucking metrosexuals.

Stop wearing those girly baggy Muay Thai shorts, ankle wraps and bat wing tracksuits as well - they just make you look stupid.
I don't need that shit to look stupid.

is taking painkillers (if needed at all) and running a bad idea?
Yep. I wouldn't take any unless it helps you relax your posture (preventing you to adopt an unatural one to relief the pain).

I say it again: be patient and don't try to rush it, or you might make it worse. I've totally fucked up my shoulder at the moment and have to take it easy for a few months. It would have healed the first time in just a few weeks, had I not rushed it....

a real bummer, I can do without this, I was going to step up the training and could've bombed selection. I've already been to selection and had a good run time, tst, pssr.... but my stamina was shit so struggled at PT... I had shinsplints before so had little time to prepare. there's always something!

I'll just sit it out for a week and eat healthy / resist going out for the piss with my new found time... then I'll see. who knows, it might heal quickly.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Had a simmilar injury after regular boxing training a few years ago (good punch in the ribs). It took about 7 weeks before I could open doors, sneeze and lift a pint without feeling anything. You'll just have to be patient and as said before, see a GP if the pain gets worse. Other than that, there's nothing really you can do about it.
Girls boxing? Whatever next.

the pain hit a peak yesterday and I was really beginning to worry about when I could get stuck in again.

It's much better today already though, if anybody has bruised ribs, I recommend vodka shots and throwing ridiculous shapes to cack music for treatment.

I was going to step up the training and could've bombed selection. I've already been to selection and had a good run time, tst, pssr....

but my stamina was shit so struggled at PT...

I had shinsplints before so had little time to prepare. there's always something!

I'll just sit it out for a week and eat healthy / resist going out for the piss with my new found time... then I'll see. who knows, it might heal quickly.

Sounds to me like you're not up to it.

Gays getting the vote I suspect.
My gay vote

Never thought a offence to vote, while your sexuality was at bone of contention with the law.

Back to sore ribs, nice skippy left me short for breath after a maul druing rugby training. Discolouration took a week or two to skedaddle, the lack of breath and pain a few weeks. My boot to his face was deliberate.

M

Mark The Convict

Your revenge will be all the sweeter because he's German*. His shin bones will shatter audibly beneath the surgically accurate, sadistically unhurried blows of your axe. 'Ribs, Adolf? I'll give you ******* ribs! Annexe THIS! *CRUNCH*

Alternatively, smile ruefully between blows, as though you don't approve, but can't do anything about it. You are going to kick **** out of him, aren't you?

*at least he wasn't French or Italian, that would be shameful.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SKJOLD The NAAFI Bar 46
ChunkeyKnob Sappers 9
dizzy_blonde The Training Wing 13