RHQ TA - LOOK OUT

Heard that most popular option for future of TA under TA FAS is that 'Hybrid' Regts are the way ahead. This would mean, most likely, the demise of RHQs of TA Regts, and their staff.

Any thoughts/considered opinion?

Hardfall

what is a Hybrid Regt?

Haven't you seen Battlestar Galactica?

Mixture/Crossbreed/amalgamation

DarkNinja said:
Haven't you seen Battlestar Galactica?
Well if thats the case Im all for it
Can I be Cylon??

Only if you be that blonde one! Just think a new challenge: moans about bounties from different regiments!

So what is a Hybrid Regt, this I need to know before I can give any opinion.
How would this affect the RLC?
Sorry Polar didnt realize this was your internet.

Sorry I meant the OP had made 5 posts on arrse and all of them were shite, and I don't own the internet although I would be interested in part shares on red tube, whatever that is :p

whats red tube? apart from a red tube I hasten to add.

Hardfall said:
Heard that most popular option for future of TA under TA FAS is that 'Hybrid' Regts are the way ahead. This would mean, most likely, the demise of RHQs of TA Regts, and their staff.

Already been in one, thanks.

The old "West Midlands Regiment" was a hybrid with RRF, Notts and Derby, LI and Staffords at different company locations, HQ C° in Wolverhampton.

Did it work? After a fashion, and got better as regimental rivalries became more distant after formation. However, this was still only a regimental size formation, so I guess if 'Hybrid' regiments are larger, they'll need correspondingly more staff to cope.

Regards,

b_flat

MSI64 said:
So what is a Hybrid Regt, this I need to know before I can give any opinion.
How would this affect the RLC?
"A hybrid unit is one where regular and Territorial Army (TA) soldiers serve side by side and are a recent addition to the Army's order of battle. Current examples are 254 Medical Regiment RAMC, 104 Force Support Battalion REME and 4 Regiment RMP, all of which are currently deployed in Afghanistan on Operation HERRICK 11."

From the REME Journal No 61, which has a a 4 page article asking "ARE HYBRID REME BATTALIONS A SUCCESS?"

Obviously polar69 with the 4394 posts knows everything about anything and no one is allowed to post or have an opinion without his/her permission!! Their first 5 posts were of course beyond reproach.

Getting past that bxxxxxxs though - the point is that a favoured (rumoured) option for the 'way ahead' on TA Regts is to attach Coys/Sqns to Regular Regts in their Geographical Location. If this comes to pass then RHQs and the Real Estate will be defunct. This has implications for Civilian Staff, NRPS and Regulars working in the RHQ.

My point is - has anyone else heard a 'whisper' about this and if so; can it really work?

Hardfall said:
Obviously polar69 with the 4394 posts knows everything about anything and no one is allowed to post or have an opinion without his/her permission!! Their first 5 posts were of course beyond reproach.

Getting past that bxxxxxxs though - the point is that a favoured (rumoured) option for the 'way ahead' on TA Regts is to attach Coys/Sqns to Regular Regts in their Geographical Location. If this comes to pass then RHQs and the Real Estate will be defunct. This has implications for Civilian Staff, NRPS and Regulars working in the RHQ.

My point is - has anyone else heard a 'whisper' about this and if so; can it really work?
No and no.

msr

Hardfall said:
Did you bother to read my post? The REME have had two hybrid battalions since 01 April 2008.

As to can it work, the punter writing the article seemed to think so. They took 4 locally recruited coys and 6 nationally recruited ones lumped them in together with a couple of regular coys, formed 2 bns and put one under OPCOM of 101 and the other 102 Bde.

More likely is an amalgamation of all TA units into central (city) locations. Massive costs initially, but think of the longer term savings and the money to be made selling off all the empty sites. The regular Army already has "super garrisons"..........................watch this space.

top_soldier said:
More likely is an amalgamation of all TA units into central (city) locations. Massive costs initially, but think of the longer term savings and the money to be made selling off all the empty sites. The regular Army already has "super garrisons"..........................watch this space.
Yes that is more likely than the reality. :roll:

As for the OPs worries about R/BHQ disappearing one of the coys has retained a HQ of 5+7 and the other 11+21, I don't know what their manning was beforehand.

top_soldier said:
That would seem more likely ... witin 10 minutes there are 3-4 TACs

There is a train of thought that goes along the lines of the TA centres being positioned where people were living in 1908, and that it is time to close some down, so towns with many TA centres get less and towns with no TA centres get one. This is used (in my opinion) as a fig leaf to cover real estate rationalisation, where if a town has five TA centres, all units share the one on the cheapest land and the other four get sold to pay RBS pensions.

The problems with super TA centres, is they wont be super, they will not be 5 times the size, so there will not be enough offices, stores and garages for 5 units, and all units will want to do drill nights on Tue or Weds, Monday Thursday and Friday drill nights are incompatible with weekend training.

As for TA squadrons/companys in regular regiments. While I am all in favour of cutting some fat from TA RHQs, I dont think a regular RHQ would really have any time, resources or interest in their TA sub unit other than when they wanted it to go on tour. No TA officers above Maj, or no TA officers above Capt if the TA sub unit has regular commander. The sub unit commnader would just be snowed under constantly trying to explain the the regular RHQ why the TA sub unit couldnt behave exactly as a regular sub unit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Army Reserve 0
H Health and Fitness 1
M Infantry 12