Rhodesian War Documentaries

Discussion in 'Southern Africa' started by RhodieBKK, Dec 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking to see if anyone has a link to the docs made by one of the Dimbleby brothers [circa late 76-77];
    and the film made by Nick Downey & the late Lord Richard Cecil who lost his life whilst filming on ops.

They may be online or some copies for sale may be available.

Cheers
    Rhodie

2. Hey rhodie, yes, try the Rhodesian light infantry website, they have it now I think, if not they will know of who does, if not look upy old pal neil thain, he knows everyone, if not, I am a close friend of john Edmund, try writing to him at kunkuru, on web, he would know

3. Cracking band in The Final Parade of the Regiment.

The Hottentot pace and rhythm comes right through... funny that.

4. Thanks guys.
    Sadly Memories of Rhodesia only sell video that originated out of Rhodesia/SA.
    These two docs I'm trying to track down were made for UK TV
    and therefore do not appear to be for sale.
    If anyone else has some ideas/leads I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Cheers
    RhodieBKK

5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

It was called "Frontline Rhodesia" and was on ITV. I think it was released for distribution at longer film length. ITV have an online archive site where you can request footage. Don't know what the rates are, but at the least it will have contact details for you.

You can see some of the footage on youtube here: From Rhodesia To Zimbabwe

The Dimblebys didn't have anything to do with it, by the way. David D did make a doc prog about Afrikaners at about that time called White Tribe and later did a documentary about Rhodesia and Zimbabwe called 'Rebellion'.

6. The DVD is included with "Masodja: The History of the Rhodesian African Rifles and its forerunner the Rhodesia Native Regiment - Alexandre Binda" on Bushveld.net

Heres a link....

http://www.bushveld.net/store3/erol.html#316x0&&http%3A%252F%252Fwww.google.co.uk%252Fsearch%3Fq%3Dfrontline+rhodesia+amazon%26ie%3Dutf-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%26aq%3Dt%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial%26client%3Dfirefox-a

7. Appreciate the spoor.
    Many thanks.
    Rhodie

8. More than welcome on my part, I was only a visitor to the Flame Lily country, but it was "Super" and if it hadn't been for the BSAP I guess I wouldn't be around now to post this...

If one thing is certain though, it's a small world, am now mates with the Patrol Officer that saved our bacon that day in '74 as I bumped into him 12 years ago purely by chance with the opening line, "Might seem like a silly question, but were you ever in the BSAP?"

9. Hi Guys,

Frontline Rhodesia is sold as a DVD by 30 Degrees South UK with the book Masodja. I bought a copy last year - it's a cracker. Rhodesia Remembered is the best Rhodie DVD I've ever seen - 30 Degrees carry that too.

Lekker stuff!!!

http://www.30degreessouth.co.uk/masodja.htm

10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Read this interesting blurb ...

There was a former RGJ officer cum Major in the RAR who won the Bronze Cross during that campaign. Don't think he ever picked it up as he was purged soon after.

11. Watching those clips, you can see the lure it was for young British squaddies in the 70's to up sticks to Rhodesia!

12. try youtube mate - theres some good un's on there on the RLI

13. Do you read any posts apart from the first one?... :wink: