Rhodesia - Rhodesian Bush War

Reckon your ordinary non ZANU-PF Zimbo would have been pretty relieved for a short while, until someone else came along to stoke up dissent and tell them how oppressed they are.

Reckon your ordinary non ZANU-PF Zimbo would have been pretty relieved for a short while, until someone else came along to stoke up dissent and tell them how oppressed they are.
Best leave it to stew in its own juice then. Just keep out of anywhere in Africa or the Middle East.

There are a few older folks in the minority who are completely fucked. Pull them out and resettle in the UK would be a good thing. They have nowhere else to go and no funds to leave.

Just been given an absolutely superb book South Africa's Border War 1966 - 1989 by Willem Steenkamp.

It is A3 size so photos can be bigger ( = more detailed to older eyes ) and the first scan read is brilliant.

Shall pour a whisky ( virtual Castle Lager ) and read this with the attention it deserves.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Shall pour a whisky ( virtual Castle Lager ) and read this with the attention it deserves.
You really don't want to try modern Castle.

Used to work with an ex BSAP Support Group officer. Some of his stories were insane, and made a long night shift far more bearable

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The great Warlord Tony Blair wanted to launch a military intervention in Zimbabwe back in about 2005 when he was at his most warlike, but GDS General Guthrie gave him a slap on the head and told him not to be so silly.

I wonder how it would have gone?Obviously the African Union would be jumping up and down and threatening to refuse our foreign aid and moving their ill gotten gains out of London. But how would the ordinary Zimbos have reacted? It would have been a more worthwhile project than all the blood and treasure spaffed away in Iraqi and Afghanistan.
Can you back this story with any real int? As in intelligence as I read it you are a moon howler . Any links , facts, papers . Would really like to know.

The great Warlord Tony Blair wanted to launch a military intervention in Zimbabwe back in about 2005 when he was at his most warlike, but GDS General Guthrie gave him a slap on the head and told him not to be so silly.

I wonder how it would have gone?Obviously the African Union would be jumping up and down and threatening to refuse our foreign aid and moving their ill gotten gains out of London. But how would the ordinary Zimbos have reacted? It would have been a more worthwhile project than all the blood and treasure spaffed away in Iraqi and Afghanistan.
Then how many immigrants demanding free stuff claiming to be from there?

Can you back this story with any real int? As in intelligence as I read it you are a moon howler . Any links , facts, papers . Would really like to know.
You insult people by calling them a moonhowler, but the link took two minutes on google

Tony Blair plotted military intevention in Zimbabwe

From the Daily Mail in 2013:

his week, South Africa’s former President Thabo Mbeki made the extraordinary claim that 13 years ago Tony Blair asked him for help in ‘invading’ Zimbabwe.

His revelation, though strongly denied by Blair, tallies with a comment made by Lord Guthrie, who was Chief of the Defence Staff and Britain’s most senior soldier throughout Mr Blair’s first government.

Six years ago, Guthrie disclosed that ‘people were always trying to get me to look at’ toppling Mr Mugabe by force.

You insult people by calling them a moonhowler, but the link took two minutes on google

Tony Blair plotted military intevention in Zimbabwe

From the Daily Mail in 2013:

his week, South Africa’s former President Thabo Mbeki made the extraordinary claim that 13 years ago Tony Blair asked him for help in ‘invading’ Zimbabwe.

His revelation, though strongly denied by Blair, tallies with a comment made by Lord Guthrie, who was Chief of the Defence Staff and Britain’s most senior soldier throughout Mr Blair’s first government.

Six years ago, Guthrie disclosed that ‘people were always trying to get me to look at’ toppling Mr Mugabe by force.

Oh dear. Its the Daily Mail. The "content" doesn't support the headline. First sentence is an unverified - and disputed - claim. It doesn't "tally" with anything Lord Guthrie said - at the time or later - as his selectively quoted comment is just "people were always trying to get me to look at".

Oh dear. Its the Daily Mail. The "content" doesn't support the headline. First sentence is an unverified - and disputed - claim. It doesn't "tally" with anything Lord Guthrie said - at the time or later - as his selectively quoted comment is just "people were always trying to get me to look at".
Did you read the Guardian article?

There are a few older folks in the minority who are completely fucked. Pull them out and resettle in the UK would be a good thing. They have nowhere else to go and no funds to leave.
I'd like to see Crab Air do an Operation Solomon and get the remaining old Rhodies out. Failing that, give me a Dak-full of tooled-up alkies and I'll have a pop at it. It's got to be a better option than dementia?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
It doesn't matter if it is the Mail, that Mbeki said anything at all on the matter should be enough to render further comment pointless.

It doesn't matter if it is the Mail, that Mbeki said anything at all on the matter should be enough to render further comment pointless.
amaXhosa are well known fibbers.

Interesting video recently uploaded on YouTube about Tsanga Lodge - the rehabilitation centre in Rhodesia. Filmed in 1979 at the height of the bush war the footage is a bit grainy after 41 years.

The young Engineer - Jim Datsun who loses a leg at the start of the film appears to be English by his accent. He says that he was Para trained before coming to Rhodesia so he could be ex 9th Independent Parachute Squadron RE.

Major General Derry McIntyre was from Scotland and did his National Service in the Gordons, receiving a N/S commission in the Parachute Regiment. He served with 1 Para in the Suez canal zone in the early fifties. He then joined the Southern Rhodesia Staff Corp as a sergeant before being commissioned. He served as the adjudant and CO of the RLI and left the Rhodesian Army in 1980. He died in South Africa in 2003.

Latest Threads