Rhodesia - Rhodesian Bush War

There was a photo, picture of him and the small man Lt Col Garth Barrett and also I think Lt Col Ron Daily on the net about 7 years ago, Schuli looked rough. Always wondered why he never did a book and also where is his GCV.
It was a few years ago and I am not 100% sure, but I think he was in one or two of the photo's when the Standard of the Scout's was handed over to the present keeper's facility adjacent to the multi-coloured boat house. In the photos he looked a bit more like a version of Orson Welles rather than the racing snake of old.

I am also mighty surprised he never wrote a book about his exploits, in lieu of the pension he never received.

Edit: Been googling around to see if the photos are available and I found a couple on the Scouts web page:

The IWM is mentioned as the repository for the Standard, though I am pretty sure it ended up elsewhere.......willing to be wrong though.

Last edited:

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
@DaManBugs with your experience of the GDR, did you encounter anything related to their overseas "military advisers"?

I believe they participated in the Vietnam War and the Rhodesian Bush War (amongst others). Is this correct?

Lots of Cuban and Russian “advisors” in the front line states, many killed and recorded as such. Never a capture though and never heard or read of any from the GDR.

There is one account of , I think? the RLI on an ambush and amongst the African cadre was a White blond haired chap with a first aid pack, they were walking near a river. The RLI set off the ambush , cadre bomb shelled. White chap disappeared. One of the main group decided to rev up the water in case the blond chap was doing a ”James Bond” breathing through a straw?

Later the rumor was he was a Swiss Dr/Medic.

Loads of evidence that many of the Worlds charities at the time we’re sending food to the poor African nations and quite a lot somehow arrived in the Terrorist camps and in Rhodesia.

@DaManBugs with your experience of the GDR, did you encounter anything related to their overseas "military advisers"?

I believe they participated in the Vietnam War and the Rhodesian Bush War (amongst others). Is this correct?
I seem to recall that the GDR assisted the PDRY government with police training and building new prisons throughout the country.

I have a poncho picked up that I think may be GDR camo. There were a few other styles arounds as well, including the rice camo type which I think was GDR too, along with the usual FAPLA and so on.

As for food, plenty of the tins of scoff had 'Gift from the People of Sweden/Norway/UK/Other Western Country', along with western medical supplies and clothing.

Lots of Cuban and Russian “advisors” in the front line states, many killed and recorded as such. Never a capture though and never heard or read of any from the GDR.

There is one account of , I think? the RLI on an ambush and amongst the African cadre was a White blond haired chap with a first aid pack, they were walking near a river. The RLI set off the ambush , cadre bomb shelled. White chap disappeared. One of the main group decided to rev up the water in case the blond chap was doing a ”James Bond” breathing through a straw?

Later the rumor was he was a Swiss Dr/Medic.

Loads of evidence that many of the Worlds charities at the time we’re sending food to the poor African nations and quite a lot somehow arrived in the Terrorist camps and in Rhodesia.
Russki WO picked up during Protea/Daisy, along with his missus as I recall.

A bit off topic but as we're in the region here goes, I used to go out with a South African lady and her dad was a former officer in the SADF, I belief special forces. A quiet, dapper, little man, most unlike the big burly guys you'd associate with such a role, but by reputation a very tough and serious operator. If you got him to have a few drinks, he loved wine but given his nature he would only have a glass or two, he'd open up a bit about his service back in the day.

Anyhoo, one evening he mentioned how he had been involved in some fighting in the Congo. Intrigued I asked him what he was doing there, I knew the South Africans had been involved in one or two regional conflicts but I had never heard of any involvement in the Congo. He told me his role was on official business but unofficial at the same time if I got his drift, if he had been caught he would have simply been tarred as a mercenary and left to get on with it, but he assured me he was no mercenary, he was acting according to orders.

I have often wondered about that, was he shooting me a line? Just winding me up with an old bullshit story, like I said he was a quiet guy but he had a sharp wit and enjoyed a joke.

Anyway, without revealing any compromising details obviously, was he spinning me a line or does that sound like something that could have been true?

A bit off topic but as we're in the region here goes, I used to go out with a South African lady and her dad was a former officer in the SADF, I belief special forces. A quiet, dapper, little man, most unlike the big burly guys you'd associate with such a role, but by reputation a very tough and serious operator. If you got him to have a few drinks, he loved wine but given his nature he would only have a glass or two, he'd open up a bit about his service back in the day.

Anyhoo, one evening he mentioned how he had been involved in some fighting in the Congo. Intrigued I asked him what he was doing there, I knew the South Africans had been involved in one or two regional conflicts but I had never heard of any involvement in the Congo. He told me his role was on official business but unofficial at the same time if I got his drift, if he had been caught he would have simply been tarred as a mercenary and left to get on with it, but he assured me he was no mercenary, he was acting according to orders.

I have often wondered about that, was he shooting me a line? Just winding me up with an old bullshit story, like I said he was a quiet guy but he had a sharp wit and enjoyed a joke.

Anyway, without revealing any compromising details obviously, was he spinning me a line or does that sound like something that could have been true?
Possible.
Plenty of stuff was going on around sub saharan africa which RSA had a hand in.
Destabilisation was order of the day.
Also, cross border raids to take on terrorist training camps was common.

I think some of the talks held with the current regime were in then Zaire.

Having a sniff around for security reasons sounds about right.

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt

Obviously I don't know if it was true in his case.

But if you were a soldier and you were asked to go on an "unofficial" mission, what would you say?
"Yes, Sir, no problem. I'll just forget about government accountability, compensation, liability, pension, etc. I'll just open myself up to criminal liability for no discernable benefit to myself or my family"?

Or would you take the view that you were a government employee, a serving member of the armed forces, who was entitled to be treated as such?

But if you were a soldier and you were asked to go on an "unofficial" mission, what would you say?
"Yes, Sir, no problem. I'll just forget about government accountability, compensation, liability, pension, etc. I'll just open myself up to criminal liability for no discernable benefit to myself or my family"?

Or would you take the view that you were a government employee, a serving member of the armed forces, who was entitled to be treated as such?
Product of the times, and the nationalist government.
And yes, a lot of what happened wouldn't have stood up to the Nuremberg tests.

As I understood it that was exactly his attitude, and it's not as if he would have been the first person to act for his government in illegal activities knowing that if his cover is blown he'll be left to swing in the breeze. History is filled with countless "agents", "soldiers of fortune", "dirty warriors", "clandestine operators", call them what you will, who did precisely that.

Possible.
Plenty of stuff was going on around sub saharan africa which RSA had a hand in.
Destabilisation was order of the day.
Also, cross border raids to take on terrorist training camps was common.
Everybody has been or will be in Congo at some point, it is too crucial an area to neglect.

Product of the times, and the nationalist government.
And yes, a lot of what happened wouldn't have stood up to the Nuremberg tests.
People confuse my sneery attitude towards the law, as a complete rejection. When in actuality, I have always simply argued, that war is a continuation of politics and nothing more dirty than politics, particularly when your losing.

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
As I understood it that was exactly his attitude, and it's not as if he would have been the first person to act for his government in illegal activities knowing that if his cover is blown he'll be left to swing in the breeze. History is filled with countless "agents", "soldiers of fortune", "dirty warriors", "clandestine operators", call them what you will, who did precisely that.
I'm well aware that mercenaries exist. But they are usually employees of a private company and by definition not serving soldiers.

I think any soldier would be foolish to agree to any "unofficial" mission and I doubt whether he could be subject to court martial or dismissal for doing so.

I'm well aware that mercenaries exist. But they are usually employees of a private company and by definition not serving soldiers.

I think any soldier would be foolish to agree to any "unofficial" mission and I doubt whether he could be subject to court martial or dismissal for doing so.
I got the impression he went because he wanted to.

It might surprise you but there are loads of people, many of them soldiers, who will do devious shite in foreign countries for their government even if there is a possibility of them getting into trouble for it if they are caught.

One thinks of two Russian tourists recently who visited a very fine cathedral in England.

I have a poncho picked up that I think may be GDR camo. There were a few other styles arounds as well, including the rice camo type which I think was GDR too, along with the usual FAPLA and so on.

As for food, plenty of the tins of scoff had 'Gift from the People of Sweden/Norway/UK/Other Western Country', along with western medical supplies and clothing.

Russki WO picked up during Protea/Daisy, along with his missus as I recall.
I think his wife was killed in the attack in which he was taken prisoner.

Latest Threads