Rhodesia - Rhodesian Bush War

If you are still looking for information on the individuals in the picture, please get in touch.
Legends, the lot of them!

JenB

Crow
old_bloke's posting is incorrect.

The bloke in the front of the picture is definitely SGT Laurie Ryan (he was my brother), BUT, he was NOT KIA later in the war. He died on 1st May 1983 (three years after Independence), as a result of a shooting ACCIDENT while culling elephants in Gonarezhou.

EdMcDonald

Swinger
The Elite Rhodesian S.A.S
$50.00 $35.00

A must book for those interested in the Rhodesian Security Forces...printed back in 1984...we hold stock of this 20 year old plus title BUT stock is now getting very low and we are unable to source anymore..get yours now
The Elite author Barbara Cole, this book was printed in 1984 being one of the most slaught after books on Rhodesia. Paperback 450 pages... must book for those with interest in the Rhodesian forces. more info Rhodesiawassuper/Lekkerwear Custom apparel, Flags, dvds, cds, books and more

The Elite Rhodesian S.A.S
$50.00 $35.00

A must book for those interested in the Rhodesian Security Forces...printed back in 1984...we hold stock of this 20 year old plus title BUT stock is now getting very low and we are unable to source anymore..get yours now
The Elite author Barbara Cole, this book was printed in 1984 being one of the most slaught after books on Rhodesia. Paperback 450 pages... must book for those with interest in the Rhodesian forces. more info Rhodesiawassuper/Lekkerwear Custom apparel, Flags, dvds, cds, books and more
I bought this book a few years ago from Galago, but it doesn't seem to be available from them anymore. Currently a copy available on ebay.co.uk, with a damaged dustjacket.

For those interested in excellent, well researched material I can wholeheartedly recommend the works of Jonathan Pitaway. He has a level of access only afforded to insiders and presents his work in a very readable manner.

LRDG | Selous Scouts | SAS Rhodesia : Three important Special Forces books

The wider works of Peter Stiff beyond the well known Selous Scout book written with Ron Reid-Daly are also recommended for the contemparary student of insurgency and counter insurgency.

EdMcDonald

Swinger
Three very good books I agree. Just finished reading "The last defenders of the laager" Ian D. Smith and F.W.de Klerk. The book was writen by Dickson A. Mungazi. To damn political for me and parts are utter bullshyte.
The other book I'm reading is "From boys to men" by Ross Hesom" It's about a South African conscript who didn't like discipline. Enough said about that.

For those interested in excellent, well researched material I can wholeheartedly recommend the works of Jonathan Pitaway. He has a level of access only afforded to insiders and presents his work in a very readable manner.

LRDG | Selous Scouts | SAS Rhodesia : Three important Special Forces books

The wider works of Peter Stiff beyond the well known Selous Scout book written with Ron Reid-Daly are also recommended for the contemparary student of insurgency and counter insurgency.
I would agree with you re Jonathan Pittaway's excellent volumes. Sadly, though, it does not look his book on the Selous Scouts will now be published.
Peter Stiff's books imho are rather light weight, especially his illustrated 'scrapbook' on the Scouts.

Ron Reid-Daly had some issues with him and published an updated version of his book under the title Pamwe Chetwe.
Chris Cox wrote an excellent book FIREFORCE which is highly recommended,
One Commando, a 'novel' by Dick Gledhill is also worth reading.

If you can get hold of the original Contact by John Lovett then you will be a happier man than Mike Borlace!
It's follow-up Contact II by Paul Moorcraft is very worthwhile even with the sanitized honour roll.
Mike still being detained as a guest of Kaunda at the time.

I have both the Scout books in my small collection of relevant military books and I agree with you. Reid-Daly's tome is weightier and provides more depth than the earlier joint work. The jointly written book does provide some interesting material for the more impatient reader who is eager to get to the end.

Stiffs book detailing the history of the Recces I found a difficult read even measured against academic standards. He was however provided with access that the SA Govt and Recces later regretted and is therefore able to give a clear account of Special Forces selection, training and operations albeit South African.

I have Jonathans SAS book detailing the formation and history of C Squadron. Damn fine. I am saddened to hear that his Selous book will not be published.

There is a Selous book written by a former member, I forget the title but it is on my list of must get hold of's..........I'll look it out and let you know. Around '84 as a young Cpl I spent the entire Dover - Zeebrugge trip on the car deck talking to a bloke and his wife and I received a history lesson, when we parted he gave me a Reutler minted Scouts beret badge - still have it along with a set of wings picked up later.

If you can get hold of the original Contact by John Lovett then you will be a happier man than Mike Borlace!
This book is still available on the second-hand market starting at an eye-watering price and going up to a bollock squeezing level.

Got the title:

Only My Friends Call Me "Crouks"

Only my friends call me Crouks................he is a former member of the Scouts.

I know some of the C Sqn guys were working in Iraq but I always wondered what happened to Schulenberg, do any of the Rhodie's or SA's know if he is still around?

... I always wondered what happened to Schulenberg, do any of the Rhodie's or SA's know if he is still around?
Last seen when he made an appearance at Uncle Ron's Service in Cape Town in August 2010. Looks good for 60 something...

andy111s

Clanker
Evening all, I am searching for a bit of info too. I'm ex-Forces (UK and French, '85-'92) and probably as a result have developed a military watch collecting habit.
So, nerdy-ness aside, I picked something up the other day that I think may be related to a former Scout/C Sqn chap called PJ 'Pete' PUGH.

It's a long story but basically I have a UK service number (dating to 1967-69ish) and a name 'PUGH' engraved on an early 1970s watch that was very similar to the RA/ZA issued Roamer Anfibio watches. The watch was bought at an auction near Heeeerford.

Thing is, with the dates, surname, type of watch and location of sale I had a look through the S.Scts and C Sqn archives online and indeed found a PJ PUGH (with an Rhodesian service number) who served in both forces (I've also found a picture of him after completing his static line course in late 1970 in South Africa).

I have tried the 22 Association but there is no PUGH listed, but that may mean he just never joined the association. (I'm in another association with a fairly senior old boy who's a member who had a butchers for me).

I'm now trying to pin down whether '2415xxxx PUGH' is one and the same as 'PJ PUGH', and if possible, the history of the watch.

I'll be writing to the SA associations (blindly this time, as I have no contacts over there) if no one has any other pointers here.

All very boring stuff chaps so sorry for that. For the secret nerds here is a link showing the watch and pictures. It's not an issued one as it is missing the ZA/RA markings, nor is it particularly valuable one, but I'd like to get a grip of the provenance, for better or worse.
Roamer Anfibio - ATG Vintage Watches Forums

Thanks guys, and if I've broken any protocols just let me know and I'll remedy.
Andy

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
an old oppo of mine worked along side them, call sign Bailiff... he were a copper isnt it . called in a fire mission to the amusement of the gunners .

If you think these guys are scouts then:

The photo often quoted as being Scouts is not .

The photo is of some territorials on callup and 11 troop 3 Commando RLI.

The bloke at the front of the picture was SGT Laurie Ryan ex 4 RR tracker -
KIA later in the war.

Picture taken late afternoon 15 November 1976.

edited to correct my errors.
Right - Laurie Ryan was my Uncle (dad’s brother). Except he was KIA in war, he was killed on an elephant hunt in 1982 - my Aunt Dawn (Uncle’s wife) confirmed this to me 7 years ago.

Got the title:

Only My Friends Call Me "Crouks"

Only my friends call me Crouks................he is a former member of the Scouts.

I know some of the C Sqn guys were working in Iraq but I always wondered what happened to Schulenberg, do any of the Rhodie's or SA's know if he is still around?
There was a photo, picture of him and the small man Lt Col Garth Barrett and also I think Lt Col Ron Daily on the net about 7 years ago, Schuli looked rough. Always wondered why he never did a book and also where is his GCV.

Did national service with a bloke who claimed to be related to Schulenberg. Never really cared either way if it was true or not. A pity, as I'd have liked to have known more after I'd read RRD's book.

Evening all, I am searching for a bit of info too. I'm ex-Forces (UK and French, '85-'92) and probably as a result have developed a military watch collecting habit.
So, nerdy-ness aside, I picked something up the other day that I think may be related to a former Scout/C Sqn chap called PJ 'Pete' PUGH.

It's a long story but basically I have a UK service number (dating to 1967-69ish) and a name 'PUGH' engraved on an early 1970s watch that was very similar to the RA/ZA issued Roamer Anfibio watches. The watch was bought at an auction near Heeeerford.

Thing is, with the dates, surname, type of watch and location of sale I had a look through the S.Scts and C Sqn archives online and indeed found a PJ PUGH (with an Rhodesian service number) who served in both forces (I've also found a picture of him after completing his static line course in late 1970 in South Africa).

I have tried the 22 Association but there is no PUGH listed, but that may mean he just never joined the association. (I'm in another association with a fairly senior old boy who's a member who had a butchers for me).

I'm now trying to pin down whether '2415xxxx PUGH' is one and the same as 'PJ PUGH', and if possible, the history of the watch.

I'll be writing to the SA associations (blindly this time, as I have no contacts over there) if no one has any other pointers here.

All very boring stuff chaps so sorry for that. For the secret nerds here is a link showing the watch and pictures. It's not an issued one as it is missing the ZA/RA markings, nor is it particularly valuable one, but I'd like to get a grip of the provenance, for better or worse.
Roamer Anfibio - ATG Vintage Watches Forums

Thanks guys, and if I've broken any protocols just let me know and I'll remedy.
Andy
Just an add on. Big no no in Rhodesia with watches was to not wear without a leather cover. A mans watch back then ,we are talking 40 years ago all had tritium or some other radio active paint on the dials, hands. All or the majority had a leather cover to mask this, shite as after a few weeks it stank of sweat and mozzy repelant.

See if it has wear and tear from a cover .

Latest Threads