Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rhodesia - Rhodesian Bush War

QRK2

LE
To be honest it's a while since I've opened them but three decent reads around the subject sit on my shelves.

DSC_0001.JPG

Last edited:
To be honest it's a while since I've opened them but three decent reads around the subject sit on my shelves.

View attachment 513787
I used to have Pamwe Chete, but I fell on hard times and had to sell some of my book collection and that one went. I do have some more now, just not that one.

20201021_135748.jpg

Gents,

just a slight thread drift...

A while back I was browsing one of the South African / Rhodesian threads when I came across a post that had a link to a cockpit / ATC recording of some fighter pilots conducting a cross border attack on a rebel / insurgent / guerilla camp either on the SA / Angolan or Rhodesian / Zambia / Mozambique border. For the life of me I cannot remember which thread it was but if any of the Southern African Bush War SMEs know which it was could you please post a link?

Regards

Last edited:
Gents,

just a slight thread drift...

A while back I was browsing one of the South African / Rhodesian threads when I came across a post that had a link to a cockpit / ATC recording of some fighter pilots conducting a cross border attack on a rebel / insurgent / FF camp either on the SA / Angolan or Rhodesian / Zambia / Mozambique border. For the life of me I cannot remember which thread it was but if any of the Southern African Bush War SMEs know which it was could you please post a link?

Regards
GREEN LEADER, attack on terrorist in Zambia following the shooting down of the civi aircraft by the terrorists.

On YOUTUBE.

OP GATLING 1978.

Last edited:
Thanks very much, it's been driving me up the wall trying to remember the link
This book written by a Rhodesian Air Force pilot is mainly about the Raid on the Zipra base at 'New Farm' Zambia where the famous exchange between Green Leader, the late Sqn Ldr Chris Dixon OC 5 Sqn Canberras and Lusaka Air Traffic Control took place.

The last chapter though has a couple of pages about 'Operation Vanity' the attack by 5 Sqn Canberras on Zipras forward operating base at Vila de Boma in Angola 950 km from the Rhodesian border. It occured as retaliation for the downing of the second Viscount in Feb 1979 and was carried out by 4 Canberras from 5 Sqn and 3 SAAF Canberras and their crews.

It was mounted from Victoria Falls with the aircraft flying on the edge of stratophere on one engine to conserve fuel and then dropped to treetop level before entering Angolan airspace to avoid radar.Almost the entire flight was in hostile airspace with the threat of Cuban manned Migs in Angolan airspace less than 20 minutes flying time from the camp.

Operation Vanity

The book is expensive on Amazon in hardback but is only £3.79 in kindle.

download.jpg

Mufulira

War Hero

View attachment 513787
I'm checking my bookshelves -- it's obvious we read the same lists of exciting daring-do. It was a small country area and population so many names crop up time and again. My boarding school class had a fair number of commissioned Chaps in HMF and elsewhere they were required -- my last count at least 5 Lt Colonels plus some OR's who obviously didn't get enough adrenaline rush the first time around!

yank_eyetie

Old-Salt
Alan "Taffy" Brice of See You in November fame makes an appearance in the British Forces in Vietnam thread. Any truth to his claims in the book (The Edwards Patrol, Vietnam, the Hilton Assignment)?

Alan "Taffy" Brice of See You in November fame makes an appearance in the British Forces in Vietnam thread. Any truth to his claims in the book (The Edwards Patrol, Vietnam, the Hilton Assignment)?
I was very sceptical of his account of his time in 22 SAS. It all seemed a bit vague which is why I didn't buy the book but just had a quick lok through it when it was first published. I have no doubt he was in 9 Independent Para Sqn RE and worked as an agent for the CIO in Zambia and was involved in the raid by the Rhodesian SAS on Nkomo in Lusaka as this is corroborated elsewhere.

I have heard from former Rhodies/Saffers that the late Peter Stiff's reputation is not too good either. A bit of a carpetbagger by all accounts.

A similar reading list, as well as most of the others mentioned.

View attachment 514580
Counter Strike from the Sky is a good book. The DVD that comes with it is excellent. I found The War Diaries of Andre Dennison hard going. I also have the coffee table sized illustrated book of the Elite by Barbara Cole which is very good. Also the illustrated history of the Selous Scouts also by Peter Stiff.

Whats Sabotage and Torture like? About the arrest and torture of senior former Rhodesian Air Force white officers serving in the ZAF after the raid by Op Barnacle agents on the ZAF base at Gwelo in 1983, I know.

51XnG9TVhHL._SX345_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
41DeCIHPK9L.jpg

Mufulira

War Hero
I was very sceptical of his account of his time in 22 SAS. It all seemed a bit vague which is why I didn't buy the book but just had a quick lok through it when it was first published. I have no doubt he was in 9 Independent Para Sqn RE and worked as an agent for the CIO in Zambia and was involved in the raid by the Rhodesian SAS on Nkomo in Lusaka as this is corroborated elsewhere.

I have heard from former Rhodies/Saffers that the late Peter Stiff's reputation is not too good either. A bit of a carpetbagger by all accounts.
IIRC meeting him through a SA Mil Int. Major Paul *****( ex BSAP) at or near Umhlanga Rocks a few years back and was surprised at his even attending this get-together. Ian Sutherland (3RRR) a Lusaka area farmer who was arrested and tried, imprisoned and later released thro' Iron Lady's request.

IIRC meeting him through a SA Mil Int. Major Paul *****( ex BSAP) at or near Umhlanga Rocks a few years back and was surprised at his even attending this get-together. Ian Sutherland (3RRR) a Lusaka area farmer who was arrested and tried, imprisoned and later released thro' Iron Lady's request.
Is this Alan Brice or Peter Stiff? 3RRR was one of the two Northern Rhodesia based battalions that was disbanded on independednce in 1964 wasn't it?

Mufulira

War Hero
Is this Alan Brice or Peter Stiff? 3RRR was one of the two Northern Rhodesia based battalions that was disbanded on independednce in 1964 wasn't it?
Alan Brice it was, Peter Stiff was lolloping about Jo'burg. 3 RRR & 7 RRR were disbanded after 24th Oct'64 and reformed as 6th and 7th Zambia Rifles

Gentlefolk, Don't feed this hateful troll. This cretin wheedles his way into discussions, posting reasonable comments and engaging with you purely so he can then divert the conversation onto one of his pet hobby horses, invariably something that denigrates the British military. He's basically a subtle Bugsy, only not quite so amusing. His pretence of reasonableness is just a lure to suck you in.

Sooner or later he'll get round to spouting bile about Northern Ireland; that's when the mask comes off fully and you get to see the hateful, Provo loving slime in all his "glory". He's scum.
Its started its own threads now, as in the Nigeria thread.
I think it's a Bugsy sock, certainly never served in any military we would recognize.

Latest Threads