Rhodesia - Rhodesian Bush War

Discussion in 'Southern Africa' started by donquixotedelamanche, Sep 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Everyone,

I am trying to get in contact with anyone who was (or knows someone who was) involved in the Rhodesian Bush War specifically in the period 1972 / 1973 and probably served in one or other of the BSAP, or C Sqn, or the first year of the Selous Scouts.

More specifically, I would like to contact anyone with knowledge and/or memories of...

a) early covert ops/recces into Zambia across the Zambesi in the area from Kariba, through Mana Camp and Chewore Camp, to Kanyemba (Camp) Station.

b) The covert recce in early '73 to Chiawe.

c) Covert recces to near Rufunsa on the Lusaka ~ Lilongwe road in the period '73 to '74.

d) The first (abortive) attack on the camp at Caponda, Tete, Mozambique in March 1975.

e) The identity of anyone in the attached picture.

For obvious reasons (even after 35 years) please keep confidentiality.

Many Thanks...

Attached Files:

2. You're either a journo trying to research a story on the cheap or head of a Zanu death squad.

3. If you think these guys are scouts then:

The photo often quoted as being Scouts is not .

The photo is of some territorials on callup and 11 troop 3 Commando RLI.

The bloke at the front of the picture was SGT Laurie Ryan ex 4 RR tracker -
    KIA later in the war.

Picture taken late afternoon 15 November 1976.

edited to correct my errors.

4. The man behind him is Grayham Huntley

thats behind him not to his left.

Editid to speel Grayham.

5. Both the Rhodesian SAS and the Scouts have their own websites (with message boards).
    You are likely to get more feedback there.

6. Hi Everyone and Many Thanks for your very prompt responses…

Whiskybreath, you asked, “Why?”

~ Very simply I am conducting detailed research into little known aspects of the Bush War during this period as part of a larger project.

Mnairb said, “You're either a journo trying to research a story on the cheap or head of a Zanu death squad.”

~ Actually, I am neither and the hundreds and hundreds of hours spent on this project is certainly not cheap! In fact, research to find definitive, verified, and incontrovertible information can be rewarded from the most unlikely sources – hence, my query here. Success, as they say, would be Serendipity. :)

Old_Bloke said, “If you think these guys are scouts then:
    The photo often quoted as being Scouts is not .
    The photo is of some territorials on callup and 11 troop 3 Commando RLI.
    The bloke at the front of the picture was SGT Laurie Ryan ex 4 RR tracker -
    KIA later in the war.
    Picture taken late afternoon 15 November 1976.”

~ Thank you for your information and Yes, this has been said before to me and you have to bear in mind there has been much disinformation and many ‘walts’ associated with it as well. However, other sources state that it is most probably a definitive Selous Scout photo with many interesting aspects to its origination and how it came to the public domain.

~ I would be extremely grateful if you were able to furnish any further information (either anecdotally or as personal experience) as to the source(s) of your information which would be very helpful to me.
    ~ In particular…
    a) do you know where the photograph was taken and the circumstances?
    b) why you can be certain as to the date? – Other information I have agrees with the time as being between 16:00 and 16:30.
    c) do you have any further information on Sgt Laurie Ryan and especially his death as he does not appear in any Roll of Honour in my archive?
    d) how are you able to determine the others are ‘Legs’ in particular, and from the “Lovers”?

~ I would ask you to please message any responses privately because we are getting into very sensitive territory.

Old_Bloke added, “The man behind him is Grayham Huntley
    thats behind him not to his left.”

~ Any info as above.

~ Again, I would ask you to please message any responses privately because we are getting into very sensitive territory.

Sonofgreenfinch said, “Both the Rhodesian SAS and the Scouts have their own websites (with message boards).
    You are likely to get more feedback there.”

~ Thank you for your suggestions which are gratefully appreciated. I am, in fact, in contact with a number of sources.

Thank you Everyone.

7. That's a non-answer, then. If you'd care to be more open about your purpose (writing a book about a specific but little known aspect of the Bush War or whatever) I'd be disposed to help, but not otherwise; I've had experience of the CIO's methods, and this wouldn't be beyond them.

8. Whiskeybreath,

I have PMed my reply to you.

Many Thanks.

9. Seen. OK, I'll get back to you.

10. My Granfather was Rhodesian SAS.PM me if you like.

11. My mate AH fought there too, PM me too if you like, but I'll check you out also, as per the above

12. Just a question who are these sources ?

BUT

You came asking for specific information. I gave it, even naming some of the men giving their units and the DGT of the photo .:D

13. If you are interested I have a blog about Fireforce operations during the bush war in Rhodesia where you can get the Rhodesian's view of the Bush war can be found at www.choppertech.blogspot.com

14. Thank you for your PM reply acknowledging part of the information you gave me was incorrect.

However, I replied to you in this forum above with specific questions which you have chosen not to respond to so far.

My original post reminded everyone of the need for confidentiality because of the sensitive nature of events both present and past in that country. This you also chose to ignore which suggests to someone like me that you are more interested in playing to the gallery than pursuing this topic with sensitivity, tact, and caution.

Please excuse me if I have judged you harshly but as a professional I have to consider the Safety, Protection, and Welfare of anyone with whom I am dealing. To do otherwise would be both reckless and unethical.

This may all seem rather melodramatic to you but just occasionally; truth is stranger than fiction. My sources are both extensive and confidential.

Lastly, those who have and/or are helping are aware of how this matter is being handled and the steps being taken to protect them and/or their associates.