Rhodesia (and its Bush War)

Ja, maningi jiggy-jiggy doesn't have quite the same mellifluous flow.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
This chapter covers white Rhodesian units in the Second World War. Two mistakes, however. The first is that only one Rhodesian, Ken Harvey, served with SAS during the war. The second is that I used a book written by a Walt, James Shortt, as a source. See his entry in the Walt section of the ARRSEpedia. In my groveling defense, this thesis was researched before the internet and ARRSE arose, like a phoenix from the ashes, like Britain during the Battle of Britain, to inspire, save and inform us about the true state of the world.
Ken Harvey was awarded the DSO as a 19 year old lieutenant.

I seem to recall there was another Rhodesian in the SAS - Mike Sadler, who last month was awarded the Legion of Honour in France.

He is the last surviving member of L Detachment at the age of 98.

France honours the last SAS Original

Colonel Blimp

War Hero
Ken Harvey was awarded the DSO as a 19 year old lieutenant.

I seem to recall there was another Rhodesian in the SAS - Mike Sadler, who last month was awarded the Legion of Honour in France.

He is the last surviving member of L Detachment at the age of 98.

France honours the last SAS Original
A number of SAS originals came, or went, to Southern Rhodesia, among them Reg Seeking and David Stirling. I am not aware that Mike Sadler went there or was from there.

I followed the African Infantryman of the Year series for a laugh. That's how I found ARRSE. I was in Spt CDO RLI and served with Col. Breytenbach in the Pathfinder Co, SADF. I have read some posts about both units and am willing to give my 2 cents about my time there. Some commenters have acted the ****** with their derisive comments--that's fine--but I am willing to give my account of what really happened to those interested in the truth. I don't claim knowledge of the meta-narrative, but I KNOW what I did and saw done. I took half of the pics in the 44 Philistine book and was there from the beginning. Col. Breytenbach and Capt. Bothes had a powerful vision for our unit and they executed it with great thought and precision. The Afrikkaner general staff hated them and us. They hated Breytenbach for 32 Batt. They hated him for his vision and foresight into the Recces and the Pathfinders. He is a true hero. We had Brit and Rhodie SAS, Selous Scouts, RLI and others who made the short-lived Pathfinder unit a tiny but effective force in the SADF. The current SADF and Recce units were built on the Col's success of the last 40 years.

I will attempt to follow and answer subsequent posts about Rhody/RSA for those who give a shit about history.

I post a Christmas pic of our esteemed figurehead from the Kwanzaa Police Files of yesteryear. He was an inspiration to all hands. Pomberi ne Hondo, Pomberi ne RLI
I
Border Patrol Mabalikwe small.JPG

Last edited:

Colonel Blimp

War Hero
I followed the African Infantryman of the Year series for a laugh. That's how I found ARRSE. I was in Spt CDO RLI and served with Col. Breytenbach in the Pathfinder Co, SADF. I have read some posts about both units and am willing to give my 2 cents about my time there. Some commenters have acted the ****** with their derisive comments--that's fine--but I am willing to give my account of what really happened to those interested in the truth. I don't claim knowledge of the meta-narrative, but I KNOW what I did and saw done. I took half of the pics in the 44 Philistine book and was there from the beginning. Col. Breytenbach and Capt. Bothes had a powerful vision for our unit and they executed it with great thought and precision. The Afrikkaner general staff hated them and us. They hated Breytenbach for 32 Batt. They hated him for his vision and foresight into the Recces and the Pathfinders. He is a true hero. We had Brit and Rhodie SAS, Selous Scouts, RLI and others who made the short-lived Pathfinder unit a tiny but effective force in the SADF. The current SADF and Recce units were built on the Col's success of the last 40 years.

I will attempt to follow and answer subsequent posts about Rhody/RSA for those who give a shit about history.

I post a Christmas pic of our esteemed figurehead from the Kwanzaa Police Files of yesteryear. He was an inspiration to all hands. Pomberi ne Hondo, Pomberi ne RLI
IView attachment 341791
I'm sure we have friends in common. Why did the SADF higher ups dislike 32 so much?

In the mean time, here is Chapter 11. It was the one I liked doing the least. It dealt, very superficially, with South Africa's relationship with Southern Rhodesia and Britain in the Second World War. Where Southern Rhodesia couldn't do enough, fast enough, to support Britain, the old antagonisms between "Boer and Briton" acted as a break, of sorts, to a wholehearted "love fest" between South Africa and the UK and Southern Rhodesia.

Attachments

The SADF general staff didn't like Col. B or anything he did. 32 was his baby from the Angolan civil war in the 70's and was mostly Pork speaking Africans with a euro leadership cadre. Like the US Mil, the SADF abandoned 32 after the ANC took over. They hated the Pathfinders a lot and treated us like crap when we were between ops and living in the filth of Ondangwa Base. Some of our ouens went to 32 after our unit was broken up. They kept the Pathfinder Co going and filled it with crunchies. It's still going on today and there is a 44 Pathfinder FB page.

The SADF general staff didn't like Col. B or anything he did. 32 was his baby from the Angolan civil war in the 70's and was mostly Pork speaking Africans with a euro leadership cadre. Like the US Mil, the SADF abandoned 32 after the ANC took over. They hated the Pathfinders a lot and treated us like crap when we were between ops and living in the filth of Ondangwa Base. Some of our ouens went to 32 after our unit was broken up. They kept the Pathfinder Co going and filled it with crunchies. It's still going on today and there is a 44 Pathfinder FB page.
Crunchie ?

IView attachment 341791
Brother of Breyten!
Christmas must have been interesting!
Jan Breytenbach - Wikipedia

Crunchie = clutch plate, the blokes who impressed Kipling IIRC.

Bruinman is a nails bugger. No idea how he got on with his brother.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru

I recall reading somewhere (ARRSE?) that Jan Breytenbach was viewed with some suspicion as he had served a term as a Royal Navy officer (FAA Engineer & Op MUSKETEER veteran) after resigning his South African Army commission.

Maybe he was just more forward thinking and innovative than the establishment was comfortable with? "Too clever by half"?

Ps. You are G****m G******e and I claim my 5 billion Zimbabwean dollars.

Colonel Blimp

War Hero
Last, but not least, Chapter 12. It rounds things up and ends with the formation of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland.

Feedback is welcome. Zakanaka Chaisu!

Attachments

What?

Cheers,
Dan.
Thought the pre-“democracy”govt shoved the remnants of 32 into an old asbestos mine site in N Cape?

Don't know of US military involvement in the border (and cross border) war but I'd heard the CIA were in Luanda during the SADF advance towards the capital. Also heard they were instrumental in advising SA to recall the DF from their little adventure.

Could be wrong but the rumours endure.

Last edited:

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Not sure if this has got a mention, but it's an interesting book by a very interesting chap. In the interest of personal disclosure, I was briefly acquainted with Mike Borlace (friend of friend), which is what made me pick the book up in the first place. Well worth a browse:
Spider Seven Zero - Mike Borlace

4(T)

LE
Not sure if this has got a mention, but it's an interesting book by a very interesting chap. In the interest of personal disclosure, I was briefly acquainted with Mike Borlace (friend of friend), which is what made me pick the book up in the first place. Well worth a browse:

I worked with Mike for a while. I think there are a few here on Arrse who also know him. Glad he he finally put pen to paper to record his adventures (or had someone do it for him!).

Last edited:

Colonel Blimp

War Hero

I may have told my Mike Borlace story, so stop me if you've heard this before. I only met the guy once, at a gathering in a hotel lobby/dining area after a Remembrance Sunday observation at Westminster Abby a number of years ago. I don't remember how we got to talking, but he told me that he was at Foyles bookstore (great place, by the way) and he was looking through the various Rhodesian offerings and a guy came up and struck up a conversation. Borlace said that this guy claimed he was in Selous Scouts and rattled off names, places and events with great authority and confidence. Borlace said that he couldn't place him, couldn't remember his face, then this guy mispronounced a name and Borlace, after a moment of confusion, corrected him. The guy burst into tears, so the story goes, saying that he was never there, but wished he had gone. Mike said that it would be as if he, Mike, walked into a transport cafe and started bragging about what a great lorry driver he was to whomever he met.

And that is my only Mike Borlace story.

Latest Threads