Rhodes Must Fall Protester: Nasty Little Racist.

lecky

War Hero
Expect more self-righteous stupidity.

I hope the recipients sue the University for this derisory amount, which in no way compensates them for the injustices they didn't personally receive still suffer from
The utter jaw dropping shock for these youngsters, would be a powerful life lesson for their future.

I hope the recipients sue the University for this derisory amount, which in no way compensates them for the injustices they didn't personally receive still suffer from
The utter jaw dropping shock for these youngsters, would be a powerful life lesson for their future.
Are you saying $27.20 per term per student is derisory?

At one of the most expensive, and well heeled of pupils, universities in USofA?

Don't forget the 20 cents. It's almost like $2.72 was too little but $272 was too much :)

Of course, the 'stolen land' which man of these mongs 'demand' just happens to be the stuff which has been, during generations of farmers, fertilised, cleared of trees and rocks, irrigated, fenced, nurtured etc etc etc, not just open scrubland.
Which when they get their hands on, they leave to return to the open scrubland they long for.
Idiots.

Barbary slavers took plenty of Cornish and others from the south of England, IINM. Not to mention southern Europeans taken as slaves.
One of my ancestors was imprisoned by Barbary pirates for over 16 years back in the 1700s.

It was in this period, probably around 1680, that Thomas Rimmer was taken as a slave. Thomas was a Lancashire mariner who was most likely captured by the Barbary corsairs while aboard ship somewhere in the Irish Sea. In the churchyard of Saint Cuthbert’s church in Churchtown (Southport) there is a plaque which reads:

Here Lyeth the Body of Thomas Rimmer Mariner who was captive in Barbary sixteen years and six Months who departed this life the Sixth of January the Sixty first year of his age in the year of our Lord 1713

Last edited:
Coupled with the above ^ there are more historical statements concerning slavery, including our Muslim friends....

In his excellent book Christian Slaves, Muslim Masters (Palgrave Press) Robert Davis tells us: “There was no countervailing force to protect the slave from his master’s violence: no local anti-cruelty laws, no benign public opinion, and rarely any effective pressure from foreign states… All slaves who lived in the bagnos and survived to write of their experiences stressed the endemic cruelty and violence practiced there.”

The favourite punishment was the bastinado, in which a man was put on his back, and his ankles clamped together and held waist high for a sustained beating on the soles of the feet. A slave might get as many as 150 or 200 blows, which could leave him crippled. Systematic violence turned many men into automatons. Slaves were often so plentiful and so inexpensive, there was no point in caring for them; many owners worked them to death and bought replacements.

It has been estimated that just between 1530 and 1780 there were probably in excess of 1,250,000 white slaves taken from Europe to North Africa. While many Catholic countries tried to raise funds to secure the return of these slaves (occasionally with some success), the northern protestant countries (including Britain) generally left them to rot. One can only speculate how Thomas Rimmer was eventually able to return to his Lancashire home after sixteen and a half years as a slave in Barbary? It’s doubtful that his family had sufficient money to ransom him, if they even knew where he was. Perhaps if he had been a galley slave he was freed by the Royal Navy or another European navy when they captured a corsair ship? We don’t know. The story of the white slaves in North Africa needs to be better known, as indeed does the story of ‘white slaves’ at home (see here) or even the de facto white slaves taken in their thousand to toil alongside the unfortunate negro slaves in America. As I mentioned at the beginning, slavery and oppression have almost nothing to do with colour, race or religion and all to do with the naked exercise of power.

Slaves in Barbary could be black, brown or white, Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, Jewish or Muslim. Contemporaries were too aware of the sort of people enslaved in North Africa to believe, as many do today, that slavery, whether in Barbary or the Americas, was a matter of race. In the 1600s, no one’s racial background or religion automatically destined him or her for enslavement. Preachers in churches from Sicily to Boston spoke of the similar fates of black slaves on American plantations and white slaves in corsair galleys; early abolitionists used Barbary slavery as a way to attack the universal degradation of slavery in all its forms

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
You are, of course, entirely wrong. If we hadn't robbed Africa of its brightest and best, the dark continent would surely have developed into a technological and Iindustrial powerhouse, instead of the random collection of market-stall dominated shitholes that exist today. It just ain't fair.

Hmm. remember this is a continent, well sub Sahara anyway, hadn't even discovered the wheel until those nasty Europeans arrived.
In the part I was in, had only seem their first European "Livingstone" just about 100 years before I got there. Not forgetting the fact that my force was only started at the behest of the missionaries who had flocked in after Livingstone had returned home to tell of the benighted godless savages, to convert them. Only to find that those nasty Arabs, whose religion still allows slavery, were regularly raiding from Zanzibar to capture more slaves to sell in Arabia, thus reducing their flocks!

I don't know myself but the theory has been put forward that no slaves were involved in their building.
I myself find that difficult to believe.

Hmm.. I think Moses would disagree with you Let My People Go
snip "When Moses and Aaron told Pharaoh that the Lord wanted His people to stop being slaves and to leave Egypt, Pharaoh became angry and treated the Israelites even more harshly."

Ah yes.
The local Saffer folk always come up with this "take back the land stolen by whites" rhetoric.
In fact, the government is all for it.
Sadly, written records going back to the 1600s show that a lot of the land was either bartered for, treatied for (ie, we'll supply security with muskets etc against other tribes, you give us this bit of land), was unoccupied, due to there being insect borne diseases, or occasionally invaded in pitch battles.
Nope, that isn't true - because tribal folklore says differently.
Of course, the 'stolen land' which man of these mongs 'demand' just happens to be the stuff which has been, during generations of farmers, fertilised, cleared of trees and rocks, irrigated, fenced, nurtured etc etc etc, not just open scrubland.

My bold, not forgetting that much of the Southern part of Africa was NOT inhabited by the Bantu but the San (bushmen) & Hottentots (Khoikhoi). The Bantu started arriving in the North of S. Africa at about the same time as the Europeans landed in the South. The Bantu tribes hated these and eliminated them. Even the Bantu were fighting & raiding each other, the Zulu hated Xhosa, Tsana, Sotho and the others.
So are these going to say sorry & hand it all over to the original two groups, somehow I doubt it :)

Meanwhile this is what is happening in the less than wonderful "rainbow nation"

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
In the part I was in, had only seem their first European "Livingstone" just about 100 years before I got there. Not forgetting the fact that my force was only started at the behest of the missionaries who had flocked in after Livingstone had returned home to tell of the benighted godless savages, to convert them. Only to find that those nasty Arabs, whose religion still allows slavery, were regularly raiding from Zanzibar to capture more slaves to sell in Arabia, thus reducing their flocks!
Ah, but the slavery that the current Carnival of Cretins are bleating about was based on the W African coast and, although there were Muslims in the area from the Niger, most of the trading was with the local animist 'kings', who were all too keen to predate the current extinction cretins (and St Genghis) and flog off the surplus for short-term use.

Hmm.. I think Moses would disagree with you Let My People Go
snip "When Moses and Aaron told Pharaoh that the Lord wanted His people to stop being slaves and to leave Egypt, Pharaoh became angry and treated the Israelites even more harshly."
Current theory considers a mix of free workers and slaves. Seems fair.

My bold, not forgetting that much of the Southern part of Africa was NOT inhabited by the Bantu but the San (bushmen) & Hottentots (Khoikhoi). The Bantu started arriving in the North of S. Africa at about the same time as the Europeans landed in the South. The Bantu tribes hated these and eliminated them. Even the Bantu were fighting & raiding each other, the Zulu hated Xhosa, Tsana, Sotho and the others.
So are these going to say sorry & hand it all over to the original two groups, somehow I doubt it
As I recollect previous reading the clash was around the Fish River, whites from the west and Xhosa tribes from the east.

Closer to home, I spend quite some time in Venice (lucky me, Mrs Ancient is a Venetian ) where the trot out the standard line that Venice became rich due to all that trade they did coming down the Silk Roads and by sending ships and explorers such as Marco Polo to to bring back spices etc for resale at huge profit which paid for all that art.

The bit they don't mention is the colossal quantity of slaves that the Venetians traded in. Mainly from the Balkans and Slav countries sold off in huge quantities across the middle east.

There's no suggestion that Venice might like to reimburse or compensate the Ukraine and it's neighbours.

Chicken

Old-Salt
My family owns the farm next to the former Cecil Rhodes Estate.

Is the groundwater racist by process of perculation?

Quoting from another thread.
Before a great civilisation is destroyed from outside it is first destroyed from inside.
This is what the XLW is doing. The end result will be after my time.
if it is before it I will happily leave early.
Does this XLW stuff takes stains out of carpets?

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads