Rhine Badge

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Tommy T, Jul 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone know where someone would go if they needed the history of a particular badge? I need to find out the history of the Rhine Garrison badge (blue Shield, red cross, single yellow sword) and not having much joy online. Who would/should know??Many thanks

2. There's a Contact Us link, contact them & ask:

Rhine - BFGnet

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I think it came from the 21st Army Group (Monty's lot) and when it became the BAOR symbol it changed to one sword instead of crossed swords.

4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I thought BAOR kept the 21st Army Group badge and guess that the Rhine Garrison had just the one sword on the same design to show its subordinate position.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. So far as I am aware, the 21st Army Group badge, (Two crossed yellow swords on a blue cross, red background), became the Badge for HQ BAOR after the disbandment of 21AG, and the creation of HQ BAOR, Summer 1945. It was subsequently passed on to HQ UKSC(G), HQ UKSC, and now HQ BFG, as the HQ moved through its iterations. It is still worn by HQ BFG and subordinate organisations.

The Rhine Garrison Badge (later Rhine and European Support Group and now European Support Group) - Single yellow sword on a red cross, blue background, was devised for BAOR troops, Not HQ,(specifically those not allocated to 1 (BR) Corps), or those without a formation HQ (certain RAOC units, LofC units etc.).

Looking at the post above, the background to the ESG badge is the same as the L of C troops badge from 21AG, which would make a link to the role of units given the badge post war (with an added sword to link to HQ BAOR)

I can't remember a definitive source for this info, but that is what I understood was the story. Quite happy to be corrected if anyone knows better.

6. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I don't know better for sure, but think the two swords version is the badge of all of BAOR (as witnessed on crests, documents, ties, tie pins and cuff-links) and the one sword badge is a Rhine Garrison affair.