RGJ to Rifles: Sergeant to Serjeant?

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by Bravo_Bravo, Mar 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having seen the all-action pictures of the formal dress codes, I noted that the LI variant of the spelling appeared throughout.

Has it been decided that this will be the appropriate spelling in the future?

Not ticking, just curious.

2. How does the back badge look?
    Had to ask...

3. Bravo Bravo, it has been taken on throughout the Rifles. However I have not seen anything offically saying it should be spelt with a "J". But as an ex LI bloke I,m chuffed to bits. lol, seems I have to wear a bloody forage cap now.

4. we've been told to spell with a 'J' most still don't thought

5. I've been attached to 1& 2 LI and have yet to find out the tradition behind the use of the J spelling. Anything 5iron?

6. There's some good stuff at http://www.army.mod.uk/atr/hq_itg/information_pack/rank.htm, explaining the origins of our rank system and particularly each is named the way it is. But it doesn't say why light div uses the different spelling. The website does say that Sergeant was "originally in the senses servant and common soldier: from Old French sergent, from Latin servire ‘serve’.

7. Although I have never seen anything in writing in my 21 years so far, I have always been told that Serjearnt was spelt with a "J" because they are servants to no one. I was oringnal 1LI, and it was not until the first merger of 1, 2 and 3LI that the LI all took it on board. It was until then a 2LI tradition.

8. we are now Serjeants.