Rgj/rifles

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by hills, Nov 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I was just wondering are there are any good/accurate books on the rifles, or the regiments that merged to form the rifles? The RGJ are of particular interest to me.

I begin training with the rifles early next year and would like to learn some more about them before I start!

Cheers

2. The Sharpe series

3. Mark Urbans. " Rifles ". Just Reading at the moment it,s the early Wellington years cracking read so far almost had me wishing I'd joined the Green Jackets instead .

4. It must be a good book then, thanks, I'll get my arrse on amazon in a bit.

Princealbert, is the sharpe series fact or fiction, or a mish mash of both? I keep meaning to get the dvd boxset, but never get around to it!

5. Recollections of Rifleman Bowlby - Cracking book about Italian Campaign WW2, one of the finest accounts of Infantry soldiering too IMHO.

6. The British Army in Northern Ireland by Lieutenant Colonel Michael Dewar, RGJ
    Although it covers many other regiments it gives preference to the role of the RGJ.

Also this: Louise Jensen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia because someone is bound to mention it sometime.

7. Cheers for the input everyone, amazon are going to love me!

Troy, there's always one I suppose, or three in this case ;)

8. This is an excellent book and tells you just about everything you would want to know about the Green Jackets. I had it brought for me recently at the National Army Museum near Chelsea Hospital. There is a different regimental ethos in the Green Jackets compared to a lot of the Army. It's many years now since I was in but it's a bit like the Brigade of Guards have their thing, the Yorkshire Regiments have theirs and the Scots Regiments have theirs. This book explains the Green Jacket one pretty well. The only thing is, at about £35 it's a bit of a dear buy. Might be worth you trying a library?

Swift & Bold
    A Portrait of the Royal Green Jackets
    1966 - 2007

• Like Like x 1
  9. Just found it on amazon for 25 squids, only one left so I'll get it I think, I'll call it an early christmas gift! The armed forces section in my local library is a bit of a flop, I was in there recently and don't remember seeing any RGJ books.

That's what got me interested in the rifles, the ethos appeals to me and makes sense!

If the book is good enough for an ex RGJ, it's good enough me!

Cheers

10. £25 is a good buy. I think you will enjoy it. Good luck next year on your new Army career with the Rifles. It's not all fun, you will work very hard and may well end up in places that you would sooner not be in but on the up side, If you have as much fun as I did, you are in for some great times and you will make friends that will watch your back and will remain friends for the rest of your life. Have a good one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Try this one...
    Rifles
    (Six Years with Wellington's Legendary Sharpshooters)
    Mark Urban

Faber & Faber 2003
    IBSN 0-571-21680-3

Fiction based on fact and I think for your purposes you will learn a damn sight more from this book that you would from the Sharpe series, good though that is

aw s*it... beaten to it by sludge

12. My library is the same except that I know about 75% of it's stock is always out on loan! In Essex though we have an on-line search facility called ELAN that is easier to use than visiting the library. Worth seeing if you have something like that in your neck of the woods.

13. Thanks, I can't wait to get started, its been a long time coming, the rifles seem to be a popular choice for us hopefuls at the minute! I'll let you know how I get on with the book!

Think I'll be getting a few books, lots to choose from

14. Good shout, I'll look it up online! I live in hereford, you'd think the armed forces section would be at bursting point, what with all the authors we have here ;)

15. See if you can lay your hands on a copy of "Leadership the Green Jacket Way" by Dwin Bramall.