• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

RGJ light div depot 1984

Was anyone there when i was , joined April1st 1984

Was in Kohema plt, Plt Sgt was Colin Hitchcock & Section Commander was Cpl Mick Dalton who i here recently sadly passed away.

Just remembered OC training coy was Major Von Merdvelt (spelling ?)

Sprogs. :) I spent six weeks there in 1973. It was a short time because I had completed two years boy service. The only personality I remember now after all these years is Jamie Balfour who was the platoon commander at the time and retired as a Major General.

ugly

LE
Likeewise I did 8 weeks waiting to go to bn after a year at IJLB it was refreshingly relaxed! I was in the first draft out of Jnr Con Pln as I was 17 and a half first.

ugly

LE
I was in long block near RHQ and I went back to see the Mother In Law who ran the Gurkha Museum shop and its all been tastefully done but I wouldnt buy one of the flats. I wonder what happened to the Boards on the walls in the middle bit of Long Block, with all the fallen Riflemen on?

Sure was , there blocks of flats now.
I went down and visited the RGJ museum about two years ago. It's all the same buildings converted into luxury flats. I've never been in one so I don't know how luxurious they are? The square is now a large pond or two with some landscaping.

It mostly basically looks very similar to what it was though.

Just had a look on google for properties there.

A 3 bedroomed town house is up for nearly 1.4 million. A 2 bedroomed top floor flat is a snip at £500.000.

A bit beyond a Riflemans means but they do look really nice.

Oh, and the service charges, grounds maintenance charges and Council tax add up to over 6 grand a year or about £120 per week.

Was anyone there when i was , joined April1st 1984

Was in Kohema plt, Plt Sgt was Colin Hitchcock & Section Commander was Cpl Mick Dalton who i here recently sadly passed away.

Just remembered OC training coy was Major Von Merdvelt (spelling ?)
I was there in 84 in Cassino Plt under you lot in long block, yeah Von Merveldt was quite a character his dad was Waffen SS ( or so he told us ) and he joined the Brit Army to be on the winning side for once, always bumming ciggies of the nigs ......soft durch !!!

I was in Pegasus platoon in 1984-5, corporal Howe was our full screw, Londoner, think he was 3 rgj, nice bloke,. Spent a couple of weeks in the guardroom there, bloody nightmare, learnt a lot though.

ugly

LE
I did fire Piquet one night there, there was a Bandsman in the Nick, Vera D was his name, funny as ****! Not the sort of snake charmer I expected to meet!

Anyone recognise any of these ?

Was the training staff when i was there.

This was us at the start of training. i am in the back row on the right hand side.

Latest Threads