RGJ light div depot 1984

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by mrsimmers, May 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was anyone there when i was , joined April1st 1984

Was in Kohema plt, Plt Sgt was Colin Hitchcock & Section Commander was Cpl Mick Dalton who i here recently sadly passed away.

Just remembered OC training coy was Major Von Merdvelt (spelling ?)
  2. Check your PM's.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I assume that was Peninsula Bks?
  4. Sprogs. :) I spent six weeks there in 1973. It was a short time because I had completed two years boy service. The only personality I remember now after all these years is Jamie Balfour who was the platoon commander at the time and retired as a Major General.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Likeewise I did 8 weeks waiting to go to bn after a year at IJLB it was refreshingly relaxed! I was in the first draft out of Jnr Con Pln as I was 17 and a half first.

6. Sure was , there blocks of flats now.
  7. 'OC training coy was Major Von Merdvelt (spelling ?) '

Von Merveldt
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was in long block near RHQ and I went back to see the Mother In Law who ran the Gurkha Museum shop and its all been tastefully done but I wouldnt buy one of the flats. I wonder what happened to the Boards on the walls in the middle bit of Long Block, with all the fallen Riflemen on?
  9. Also known as Von Murderball
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jamie Balfour is a great bloke....
  11. I think that went to RHQ at Sir John Moore Barracks.
  12. I went down and visited the RGJ museum about two years ago. It's all the same buildings converted into luxury flats. I've never been in one so I don't know how luxurious they are? The square is now a large pond or two with some landscaping.

It mostly basically looks very similar to what it was though.
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  13. Just had a look on google for properties there.

A 3 bedroomed town house is up for nearly 1.4 million. A 2 bedroomed top floor flat is a snip at £500.000.

A bit beyond a Riflemans means but they do look really nice.

Oh, and the service charges, grounds maintenance charges and Council tax add up to over 6 grand a year or about £120 per week.
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  14. ...aka 'The Pink Helmet'. Never liked the fella myself..he seemed to believe that he lived in a world where he could do no wrong.
  15. I was there in 84 in Cassino Plt under you lot in long block, yeah Von Merveldt was quite a character his dad was Waffen SS ( or so he told us ) and he joined the Brit Army to be on the winning side for once, always bumming ciggies of the nigs ......soft durch !!!