RGJ light div depot 1984

Was anyone there when i was , joined April1st 1984

Was in Kohema plt, Plt Sgt was Colin Hitchcock & Section Commander was Cpl Mick Dalton who i here recently sadly passed away.

Just remembered OC training coy was Major Von Merdvelt (spelling ?)

Sprogs. :) I spent six weeks there in 1973. It was a short time because I had completed two years boy service. The only personality I remember now after all these years is Jamie Balfour who was the platoon commander at the time and retired as a Major General.

ugly

LE
Likeewise I did 8 weeks waiting to go to bn after a year at IJLB it was refreshingly relaxed! I was in the first draft out of Jnr Con Pln as I was 17 and a half first.

'OC training coy was Major Von Merdvelt (spelling ?) '

Von Merveldt

ugly

LE
I was in long block near RHQ and I went back to see the Mother In Law who ran the Gurkha Museum shop and its all been tastefully done but I wouldnt buy one of the flats. I wonder what happened to the Boards on the walls in the middle bit of Long Block, with all the fallen Riflemen on?

Sprogs. :) The only personality I remember now after all these years is Jamie Balfour who was the platoon commander at the time and retired as a Major General.
Jamie Balfour is a great bloke....

I wonder what happened to the Boards on the walls in the middle bit of Long Block, with all the fallen Riflemen on?
I think that went to RHQ at Sir John Moore Barracks.

Sure was , there blocks of flats now.
I went down and visited the RGJ museum about two years ago. It's all the same buildings converted into luxury flats. I've never been in one so I don't know how luxurious they are? The square is now a large pond or two with some landscaping.

It mostly basically looks very similar to what it was though.

Just had a look on google for properties there.

A 3 bedroomed town house is up for nearly 1.4 million. A 2 bedroomed top floor flat is a snip at £500.000.

A bit beyond a Riflemans means but they do look really nice.

Oh, and the service charges, grounds maintenance charges and Council tax add up to over 6 grand a year or about £120 per week.

Was anyone there when i was , joined April1st 1984

Was in Kohema plt, Plt Sgt was Colin Hitchcock & Section Commander was Cpl Mick Dalton who i here recently sadly passed away.

Just remembered OC training coy was Major Von Merdvelt (spelling ?)
I was there in 84 in Cassino Plt under you lot in long block, yeah Von Merveldt was quite a character his dad was Waffen SS ( or so he told us ) and he joined the Brit Army to be on the winning side for once, always bumming ciggies of the nigs ......soft durch !!!

I was in Pegasus platoon in 1984-5, corporal Howe was our full screw, Londoner, think he was 3 rgj, nice bloke,. Spent a couple of weeks in the guardroom there, bloody nightmare, learnt a lot though.

ugly

LE
I did fire Piquet one night there, there was a Bandsman in the Nick, Vera D was his name, funny as ****! Not the sort of snake charmer I expected to meet!

Anyone recognise any of these ?

Was the training staff when i was there.

This was us at the start of training. i am in the back row on the right hand side.

ugly

LE
The LI cpl rear left looks familiar, Titch?

Anyone recognise any of these ?

Was the training staff when i was there.

Yes, that's Ginge Starkey second from the right in the rear and the Sergeant is the aforementioned Colin Hitchcock.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Infantry 20
B Officers 20
J Infantry 32