Rg8 mental health please advise

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Jadelouise1990, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there I am 22 f and have recently applied for rmc combat medic, I have just received my rg8 to fill out and have a question... I have had issues with mental health following a very troubled time in my life I was prescribed many different tablets by a doctor that wanted to fob me off rather then find out what was wrong I had bad side affects and this made my situation worse although I was NEVER diagnosed with any form of mental health problem they simple kept trying to medicate and if it didnt work change the medication, I have weened myself off of all these and come through the difficult events in my life , my doctor is happy with my mental state and is backing my application , it asked on the form if you have been diagnosed with mental health problems and I never have do I simply say no (although there are numerous meds on my record as I have never had a diagnosis and the only bad turns I have had and have happily been admitted to hospital to asses were due to being given medication I did not need and they agreed this as I have no diagnosis ) as technically this is not a lie and I know it would be dq'd if I sat and listed all the things they thought and then decided otherwise? I'm really fretting as so many people say they would not need to check with my doctors backing and so many say they would anyway but would it even get to selection if I stated the meds? I am stable and very much capable would just like some advice as this is my ambition and I am not sure what to do I do not want to let a doctors wrong decision to ruin my life please only advise if you have an insight into medical assessments or recruiting

2. I have put an answer to this on the other thread you left this question on. To add, my daughter was turned down for the australian navy due to a medical opinion we were given about an injury she had growing up. When we questioned it and got the medical documents there was nothing on her docs about the opinion we were given, as such we approached the navy again and they said as it was not actually diagnosed then it was not an issue, but by then my daughter had got pissed off with the issue and decided not to join. I would put no to the question if they do talk to your doctor he is aware of your worry and will talk to them as such. Don't worry about it. Good luck
    Bootneck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thankyou for your reply , even with extensive prescription notes and hospital admission without a diagnosis this means nothing ?? I am happy to say no with my doctors backing was just worried about if they checked loads and saw meds that was all

4. Even if they check loads and find out about the meds the question they ask is about any mental health you can safely say no as there is no actual diagnosis. The doctors being lazy actually helped you. The doctor is aware of your intentions and prepared to speak on your behalf. My past for your info is 5 yrs Royal Marines,15yrs Police with 20 yrs Australian Army Reserves(infantry and military police) I tell you my past so that it helps you decide if you wish to take my advice. Australian law is the same as English law. Remember the legal question is do you have a diagnosed mental condition not was there any speculation you may or may not have something that might be a mental condition. Don't read to much into the question. You can safely say you have never , to the best of your knowledge, been diagnosed. You are not misleading them.
    Regards
    Bootneck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Sadly for you if you are prescribed medicines for depression or other mental health problems you are going to have to state it. Your Doctor may be supportive but he will not lie for you. There are dodgy ways around this, but I am not going to list them on a forum.

If you have been on tablets more than a couple of times then you should consider another career maybe.

6. I agree with the post above - be up front and you might be OK. Tell them nothing and they'll see a bunch of meds that you have kept quiet about and just assume you've got something to hide.....

Mental health issues dont carry the stigma they did years ago, so better to just be honest from the outset......

7. Double posting makes me sad!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.