RFCC advice

Morning All!

I am currently in the process of joining the reserves and I am in training for the Reserve Fores Commando Course. I am 33 years old so I am aware its gonna be a hard task!! I was wondering if anyone who has passed or attempted the course has any advice on how best to train to give myself the best chance of passing. Any advice greatly would be appreciated!

Wired Bandit

Old-Salt
I done the 4PARA Cadre a while ago, i know its not the same but the standards wont vary to much, its really exactly what you would expect, be fit, listen and react instantly when told to do something, be fit, keep your head down and be the grey man until its the right time to get yourself noticed, be fit, buy a foam roller, be fit, make sure you put 100% into everything you do, be fit, buy a good iron, be fit, also being completely injury free will help no end when you start. I found the reality of joining the paras initially a anti-climax, showing up and expecting to be treated like a above average joe with top notch facilities to train in, which was honestly the opposite of what it was like, we got beasted into the ground and slept on the cold floor. Which now looking back, i wouldn't change one bit, its this combined with challenging training and hard phys that sets us apart. Whatever happens, just don't lose sight of what you want, when you're working 75 hours a week to fit in the weekends and drill nights, or you're on stag with only 8 other blokes in the platoon cos everyone else has jacked. Just keep going, no matter what. Oh, and be fit. Good luck,

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I'm joining 131 RE, but moving to Bristol so waiting to move before starting parades with the guys at bath, so haven't had chance to check out the facilities and what not yet, been to their depot in Birmingham and it seemed well set up to train you up for the course. Looking back is there anything you think helped you, or anything you wish you had have done training wise to help you along??
Thanks for the response.

Wired Bandit

Old-Salt
Hmm, more phys before i started that was a given, although i was already fit, look to have your standards way above the minimum. Buying little things that make your life easier, good trainers, 80l canoe bags, snap seal bags ect, i can write my kit list if you want through private mail. I would recommend a following a good fitness programme, i followed the para fitness guide and this did help, alot, good nutrition is a must, sleep and hydration. But basically, train 5x a week, to a high level and you shouldnt encounter many problems. However, there was a RMR dropout in my platoon and he said the hardest part was the admin, like they are really shit hot on making sure they dick you for being untidy ect, try and self discipline yourself to being tidy, presentalble ect, i think they even make you take a ironing board to weekends

Yeah I have already been told that on the training weekends the first thing they do is check the waterproofing of your kit!! it has to be waterproof all the time, or its a beasting!! yeah kit list would be great as i want to get some time in on the hills with kit, ready for the 30 miler. my fitness is good but i know beeds to be better but I think the next course I can attend is next may, so plenty of time. My mate is a PT and he has given me lots of pointers regarding nutrition and hydration so working on all that. Was the effort worth it in the end for you?

Wired Bandit

Old-Salt
Thats good mate, take on any constructive advice no matter where it comes from i.e if its not a commando/para still listen, some of the more switched on blokes iv met are from outside airborne forces. Il make a kit list and send it to you, and yes totally, the effort and hard work faded instantly after it was over and turned into 100% happiness,

Latest Threads