RFA Support Vessels

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
On that note where were L&T proposing fabrication and build? Who has the space for final assembly with a suitable workforce not already bidding on this or fully committed with work. I wonder if Nigg will start doing the rounds again....I only partially jest! It is down the road from me so would be nice from a purely "something to watch" kind of way!

Or how about No.7 Dock in Southampton if they put the gates back in....

Kattupalli, Chennai.

And not ‘were’, are….

One hopes there are enough main engine spares on the market to keep her going. What usually happens is that the planners assume "a refit" based on the previous one will suffice, stick that in the mid term budget and move on. Let's hope no certification or major systems supportability issues emerge.

I'm decrepit enough to recall SDR98 with its two JCRS. Nigh-on a quarter of a century ago.

No one wants to fund a dedicated ship.

One hopes there are enough main engine spares on the market to keep her going. What usually happens is that the planners assume "a refit" based on the previous one will suffice, stick that in the mid term budget and move on. Let's hope no certification or major systems supportability issues emerge.

I'm decrepit enough to recall SDR98 with its two JCRS. Nigh-on a quarter of a century ago.

I think the SEMT Pielsticks are slightly more supportable than say the Sulzers on the old forts where. However its the rest of it that's falling apart!

jambosun

Old-Salt
Argus extension is a total cop out. In 17-19 I was very involved in the options for provision of an R3 capability replacement. Long story short, everything was delay, delay, delay and not make a decision. Considering she had an out of service date of 2024 and the required lead times to design and build a replacement capability, this outcome always going to happen. She is not just an RN asset but a Joint one and it'll be fingers crossed that she's actually available when needed. I shouldn't care now that I'm outside, but doing bugger all, hoping nothing goes wrong and try and keep the old thing going is not a sensible operational decision. As ever, it's down to available money trumping the actual requirement.

endure

GCM
Your thoughts on this development Gentleman

I used to work for the bloke (James Sherwood) who ordered the Contender class ships. (RFA Argus used to be Contender Bezant).

He started out by cornering the world market in leased containers then then thought that he might as well build ships to carry them.

At the time there weren't many ports that had container facilities so he built ships that had their own gantry cranes and ramps. They could pitch up anywhere that had a simple berth and a few artic tractors and trailers and do a full load/discharge.

We loaded/discharged in Limassol, Jeddah, Hodeida, Aqaba, Geelong, Fremantle, Sharjah, Bandar Shapour, and Colombo on Jimmy's ships.

See also: SCOTT's last LifEx/refit in disguise. Down to reducing the budget mid work package...

Aware she's not an RFA, but she does come under the same support mechanism and is so non-warry that she can actually be insured.

I used to work for the bloke (James Sherwood) who ordered the Contender class ships. (RFA Argus used to be Contender Bezant).

He started out by cornering the world market in leased containers then then thought that he might as well build ships to carry them.

At the time there weren't many ports that had container facilities so he built ships that had their own gantry cranes and ramps. They could pitch up anywhere that had a simple berth and a few artic tractors and trailers and do a full load/discharge.

We loaded/discharged in Limassol, Jeddah, Hodeida, Aqaba, Geelong, Fremantle, Sharjah, Bandar Shapour, and Colombo on Jimmy's ships.
Aaah, SeaCo. A long time ago, in an industry far far away.

endure

GCM
Aaah, SeaCo. A long time ago, in an industry far far away.
Apparently now owned indirectly by a Chinese public company.

"Seaco was formed in 1998 as a 50/50 joint venture between General Electric Capital Corporation and Sea Containers Ltd. Seaco is a wholly owned subsidiary of Global Sea Containers Ltd (GSCL), a Bermuda company. Bohai Leasing Co., Ltd indirectly owns 100% shares of GSCL, is a Chinese public company listed on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange (Abbreviation: Bohai Leasing, SZ Stock Code: 000415), an FTSE Russell index company, and is the first and largest listed leasing company on the Chinese A-Share stock market. Bohai Leasing has a wide range of leasing licenses, which have allowed for a balanced development of diverse leasing subsidiaries. Bohai Leasing’s subsidiaries provide domestic and global services in both financing and operating leases of aircraft, containers, equipment and infrastructure. It has established footprints in China’s main economic and free trade zones of Tianjin, Shanghai, Guangdong and the Yangtze River Delta, and major international offices in Hong Kong, Singapore, London and Miami."