Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RFA Support Vessels

I'm wary of the term "punching above our weight" as though doing more with less is a wise thing.
It often equates to "gets murdered in the third round by the gorilla and dies "
"Best in class and wise enough to stay in it" is a better thing imho.

So as insignificant as the RFA then - A glorified club for boys who couldnt hack the real navy

And yet, the Officers, all professional and fully certified mariners, do stuff like the PWO’s course and all that other good military stuff.

endure

GCM
Is it recognised as civillian in the manner the RFA is in terms of port visits etc?

It employs 9,800 people 88% of whom are civilians. It's ships are designated USNS (United States Naval Ship) rather than USN as they are not commissioned into the USN.

Its ships occasionally carry military personnel in the same way that the RFA do.

And yet, the Officers, all professional and fully certified mariners, do stuff like the PWO’s course and all that other good military stuff.
Im well aware of the RFAs utility and I completely agree.

But isnt it irritating when you do have the knowledge experience and facts and yet some tedious feckwit refuses to listen and keeps pontificating - when its clear to all he knows nothing about what hes talking and pisses all over a perfectly good thread.

To everyone else I apologise for my afformentioned feckwittery

Theres a few posts i shall remove rather than cause offence to anyone.

But isnt it irritating when you do have the knowledge experience and facts and yet some tedious feckwit refuses to listen and keeps pontificating - when its clear to all he knows nothing about what hes talking and pisses all over a perfectly good thread.

I’d assumed you’d been drinking...

It employs 9,800 people 88% of whom are civilians. It's ships are designated USNS (United States Naval Ship) rather than USN as they are not commissioned into the USN.

Its ships occasionally carry military personnel in the same way that the RFA do.

one notable difference is their VERTREP helicopters are supplied and manned by a civilian firm.

I thought you had it at fast attack craft to be honest.......

RAS before Oil

The RN carried out some experiments of a rig like this in the during the period (1901). Although I think the French beat us to it in attempting it. But the concept was first mooted by a Lt Lowery RN in 1883.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The RN carried out some experiments of a rig like this in the during the period (1901). Although I think the French beat us to it in attempting it. But the concept was first mooted by a Lt Lowery RN in 1883.

Further down the thread someone recommends two books covering the process in detail

Tide at Sunrise
Short Victorious War

Apparently your average Russian matelot had an appalling existence

Further down the thread someone recommends two books covering the process in detail

Tide at Sunrise
Short Victorious War

Apparently your average Russian matelot had an appalling existence
Sounds like the general theme for all Russian lower ranks regardless of service! Por sods.

Cheers for the book suggestions.

Latest Threads