RFA Sir Galahad

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by jim4244, Jun 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I just thought that I would let you all know of my experience concerning trying to join the RFA Sir Galahad Association, which is run by the old ships Captain, Philip Roberts. First I will give you a little background.

Back in 82 I was a young 17 year old Royal Marine, who was selected to be part of the RM detachment for the Sir Galahad. I had passed out of Commando Training Centre RM on the 19th March 1982, so was "Fresh out of the box"

We joined the ship at Ascension Island around the 17th April and quickly settled into the ships routine of watch keeping, air defence, anti diver actions etc etc and any other duties that could be thought of for us.

After the initial landings we were bombed in San Carlos water and ended up with an unexploded bomb punching through the side of the ship and coming to rest in one of the mess decks on the port side. The ship was evacuated (to the Fort Austin?) and after soak period of a few hours to see if the bomb went off voulenteers were sought from the RM detachment to reboard the Sir Galahad and assist the EOD team whilst they defussed it. To cut a long story short I ended up physically carrying the UXB, along with a couple of other Booties and EOD guys, along the Tank Deck of the ship where we placed the bomb in a half inflated Gemini. The Gemini was then floated off the loading ramp, taken well away from other ships and then sunk.

Repairs were made, and the ship declared operation again.

I was onboard, below decks on the 8th June when we were hit whilst anchored in Bluff Cove. I won't go into details.

After Bluff Cove I was re equiped and sent ashore. I have little memory of this period.

I ended up serving for 9 years in the RM and left the Corps in 1990. In 1997 I was injured at work and was required to see an Occupational Therapist. By the end of my first visit I was diagnosed with PTSD relating to the Falklands and bombing of the RFA Sir Galahad! Up until then I had never considered that I had any problems, even though I had never had a full nights sleep since 1982, constantly remembered specific events, became tearful from no real reason, couldn't watch or listen to anything relating to the Falklands War etc etc. You see I thought that this was just "My lot in life" and didn't think that it affected my work or home life.

Anyway....enough dripping.

A couple of months ago I was surfing the net when I came across the details of one of the Sir Galahads old ships officers (first name Alistair). His e mail address was published, so I dropped him a line asking if anyone ever got together to commemorate those lost onboard the Sir Galahad and the ship its self. He replied and gave me details of the RFA Sir Galahad Association, which is run by Philip Roberts the old ships Captain.

In due course I e mailled Roberts and gave him my details and awaited a reply. No reply ever came.

I recontacted Alistair to check I had the correct e mail address, only for him to inform me that it was Officers only and those deemed worthy of belonging to the association. In fact Alistair had been so angry at this that he resigned from the association, something which I discouraged him from doing and which I think is a great shame.

Come 25 years tomorrow I can say with my hand on my heart that not one day has gone by without me thinking back to that fateful day. It has imprinted itself on my very being and I will live with the events for the rest of my life, as I am sure others will.

I am deeply afronted that as I was "only" an Other Rank on the day we were hit I, along with others, am deemed unworthy of joing an association which should be open to all who were onboard that day. In short the whole dismissive attitude just makes me bloody angry!

People sometimes forget that Simon Weston wasn't the only person onboard the Sir Galahad 25 years ago and, in my opinion, EVERYONE who was onboard when we were hit was wounded. Maybe not physically but definately mentally.

Anyway rant over. I will not be participating in any of the planned 25th aniversary events for my own personal reasons. However I would have attended an RFA Sir Galahad dinner, as it may have helped me lay some ghosts to rest by speaking to others who were onboard that day.

Jim

2. Unbelievable that this s*it still lives on. Officers and their Ladies,Sergeants and their Wives, Other Ranks and their women.

3. Jim mate, come and join The South Atlantic Medal Association where you will be welcome. Obviously you've applied to join an officers organisation when you weren't an officer. Apply to join an other ranks or all-ranks organisation and things would be different. Alternatively start an other ranks Sir Galahad Association....or apply to join in with the Royal Marines reception at Lancaster House...or with the London parade..or join SAMA Wales and meet up with dozens of your comrades who were on the Sir Galahad on that fateful day. There is no shortage of events going on all around the country this year and no shortage of opportunities to meet up with others.
    Obviously everything is now in place for all the formal events in London this weekend, however there'll be plenty of opportunity to meet some of the lads who were on the Sir Galahad this weekend if you are up in town and fancy meeting up for a jar after the parade.
    PM me if you are and I'll put you in touch with others who were on her and who have benefitted greatly from meeting up and staying in touch via SAMA. Some of the lads carry physical scars, some mental ones, others have both, some are fine. All benefit from remembering together and keeping in touch with each other and they'll be pleased to have you back in the fold.
    Also If you feel you would benefit from a pilgrimage down south there's one being arranged to coincide with Remembrance day this year. The closing date for applications is the end of this month. Finances will not be allowed to be an issue for those eligible.
    Please do join SAMA HERE and come and meet up with the lads. I'm confident it will be a positive experience for you.
    There's no reason to be negative about the officers of the Galahad who got off their arrses to organise themselves...come and join in with many of the other opportunities to meet up with your comrades-If that's what you are actually after.
    Cheers

4. Jim - you very are truly are a very courageous and brave man. I have a good friend whom is also a falklands vet. I not only admire your courage for those fateful days in your life but what you have had to deal with for the rest of your living days. I salute you sir, and I will raise a glass to you and your fellow comrades living or dead. I was but child of some years old and was too young to understand the complexities of war at the time and possibly still do not after 15 years in the mob myself, but what I do understand is your complete strength of character. I hope that you will finally lay all your demons to rest and get what you want. All the very best mate, you deserve more than a medal, regards and my deepest respect Bitterandtwisted. Are you listening Mr Bliar????

5. Jim, it's people like you and your comrades that gave me the kick I needed to do something with my life and because of it, I spent 9 happy years in the Forces. Thanks once again.

6. Jim,
    The memories won't go away, but getting together with others that were there will do you the world of good. I wish you all the very best mate.
    SkiBum.