RFA personnel looking to strike over pay.

Not read the article but why should a civvy who can leave his job at the drop of a hat earn the same wages as someone who if required can stag on for 24/7/365 and is required to undertake extras like weapon training etc., Where did the RFA recruit these people? Liverpool? Wales?

Not read the article but why should a civvy who can leave his job at the drop of a hat earn the same wages as someone who if required can stag on for 24/7/365 and is required to undertake extras like weapon training etc., Where did the RFA recruit these people? Liverpool? Wales?

Precisely because RFA staff are civvies who can leave their job at the drop of a hat. Civilians aren't willing to be fucked about by shouty men who have no authority over them.

If you don't like it man the RFA with RN staff.

PS these staff are recruited from the same gang who could work for Maersk, BP or Shell and become a ship's Master after 20 years.

Yeah why should I receive the same pay rise, I'm not working 7 days a week in an operational environment, doing extras like weapon training, fire exercises, working over the legal hours of work and rest as laid down by the IMO, doing the work done by a SLt, a CPO, a PO, a couple of LH's and god knows how many AB's and have to do it until I'm 65. Oh wait I do!

And a large amount of them (and the biggest moaners I find) are ex Mil...

Yeah why should I receive the same pay rise, I'm not working 7 days a week in an operational environment, doing extras like weapon training, fire exercises, working over the legal hours of work and rest as laid down by the IMO, doing the work done by a SLt, a CPO, a PO, a couple of LH's and god knows how many AB's and have to do it until I'm 65. Oh wait I do!

I think the RFA is far removed from it's intended 'support' role. I take my hat off to you guys. I do a maximum of 2 weeks at sea at that's more than enough.

Rab_C

Old-Salt

What about the seaman’s tax breaks that you can get and jack can’t ? Swings and roundabouts

They are not asking for the same pay
They are asking for more than 1.5%

What about the seaman’s tax breaks that you can get and jack can’t ? Swings and roundabouts
Can I have LSA, housing, medical and so on? And I've had that tax back precisely once in 5 years. I could get alot more tax breaks working for Mearsk or Carnival with alot less bullshit.

I don't see how asking for the same percentage pay rise as the RN is a massive see off to anyone.

The strike will only affect ships alongside and not on operations, so not going to effect the sharp end anyway.

Can I have LSA, housing, medical and so on? And I've had that tax back precisely once in 5 years. I could get alot more tax breaks working for Mearsk or Carnival with alot less bullshit.

I don't see how asking for the same percentage pay rise as the RN is a massive see off to anyone.

The strike will only affect ships alongside and not on operations, so not going to effect the sharp end anyway.
My apologies, I gobbed off without reading the article. Unless it’s as an incentive for a particular trade then yes I believe it should be a parity pay rise.

"The office and appointers do need to restructure themselves and become more efficient, as well as need reminding that the employees are human and have lives outside of work. Often there have been clashes and head to heads over being given minimal notice over coming off leave so people have been unable to plan their lives. "

Not RFA related but I'd literally just got back from a trip with Fyffes and was offered a job with P&O provided I could get down to Heathrow the next day to fly out to Japan. One day's leave in nine months.

Precisely because RFA staff are civvies who can leave their job at the drop of a hat. Civilians aren't willing to be fucked about by shouty men who have no authority over them.

If you don't like it man the RFA with RN staff.

PS these staff are recruited from the same gang who could work for Maersk, BP or Shell and become a ship's Master after 20 years.
And a lot of the ones I had the pleasure of instructing over the past few years have been time-served ex-Matelots.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

"The office and appointers do need to restructure themselves and become more efficient, as well as need reminding that the employees are human and have lives outside of work. Often there have been clashes and head to heads over being given minimal notice over coming off leave so people have been unable to plan their lives. "

Not RFA related but I'd literally just got back from a trip with Fyffes and was offered a job with P&O provided I could get down to Heathrow the next day to fly out to Japan. One day's leave in nine months.
That sounds familiar. The head office is stuck in a world of civil service and NCHQ bureaucracy so is a mess. Pay peanuts get monkeys...

RFA go to sea for 3 or 4 month stints. A tanker operates with 40 to 60 crew as opposed to a Type 23 with 200 RN crew.
RFA get better accommodation and more leave but usually less downtime than RN at sea.
Cost wise the RFA ships are cheaper to run than RN and that's probably the main reason they are not military but in a war situation RFA crews become RN reservists and as you say, a great number are already ex Mil.
If you think the RFA get a better deal, join us.

crustyrusty

On ROPS
On ROPs
Im joining in September,
Get your placard ready for the strike & dirty protest, tell them your related to Red Ken/Arthur Scargill or Len McLusky and they will be very impressed more so if you say you related to Jeremy Corybn.

Oh and good luck as a great career, joining as an officer or rating?

RMT threatening a strike during NTG2000 was the reason the trip was called a World Anchorage Tour on RFA Fort Victoria.
If the ship went alongside the RMT could strike and refuse to sail.

As it was the only strike action that occurred was the refusing to make officers beds and the chefs refused to make hot duffs during the trip.