RFA Largs Bay to "protect" Falkland-Islands

Copied from a thread in "Another Place", I occasionally frequent . . .

The frigate HMS Northumberland, which is armed with guided missiles, torpedoes and a Lynx helicopter, was due to be sent on patrol to the islands this month. But it will now be replaced by a Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) vessel not equipped for offensive combat operations.

The controversial decision was forced on senior naval commanders by the increasing problem of overstretch facing the Royal Navy.

In its place, RFA Largs Bay, a landing ship which is crewed by civilian sailors, will arrive in the South Atlantic this week to begin its mission of protecting the islands from the potential threat posed by Argentina, which still claims sovereignty of the islands.

Falkland Islands to be left without warship - Telegraph
Largs Bay protects the Falklands - Ships Nostalgia

Attachments

This has been done here twice. The gist of it: the APT(S) warship is often diverted away from the South Atlantic for all sorts of reasons, leaving the security of those waters to HMS Clyde, HMS Endurance and the RFA support ship. The only reason that this was considered newsworthy by the Telegraph is probably because Northumberland has been diverted to carry out anti-piracy duties as part of an EU task force.

They should have sent Largs Bay to Somalia. Any pirates climbing up the stern would be too knackered to fight by the time they walked to the forward end of the flight deck.

Either that or the OOW could just open the stern doors and swallow the buggers, boat and all.

Ancient_Mariner said:
Any pirates climbing up the stern would be too knackered to fight by the time they walked to the forward end of the flight deck.
Very true :D and if they get that far then there is about dozen flights of stairs to the bridge, so they will be on their knees by the time they ask to be let in. Until you have been on one of these you don't appreciate just how large and tall they are 8)

Defencemanagement.com said:
Australia buys RFA Largs Bay for £65m

06 April 2011

The Australian government has purchased RFA Largs Bay from the UK for £65m, it has been announced.

Australia beat competition from Brazil, Chile and India for the ship, which joined the Royal Fleet Auxiliary in December 2006 but was scrapped in the Strategic Defence and Security Review in late 2010.

The ship has already been inspected by an Australian contractor, and will undergo sea trials before entering service with the Royal Australian Navy in 2012.

Largs Bay will provide interim amphibious capability for the RAN before two new Canberra class ships come into service in 2014.

Of Australia's three existing amphibious transport ships, HMAS Manoora is to be taken out of service, HMAS Kanimbla is undergoing a refit until mid-2012 and HMAS Tobruk was said to be in a poor state of repair.

Largs Bay's cargo capacity is said to be equivalent to the entire of the Royal Australian Navy's existing amphibious fleet.
Australia buys RFA Largs Bay for £65m - Defence Management

Attachments

SeaWaves said:
NAMING OF EX RFA LARGS BAY - HMAS CHOULES

13 August 2011

Message from the Chief of Navy Chief of Navy, Vice Admiral Ray Griggs addresses the Choules family and media regarding the announcement of HMAS Choules.

Today at Fleet Base West the Prime Minister and the Minister for Defence announced that the ex Royal Fleet Auxilliary Landing Ship Dock Largs Bay is to commission into the Royal Australian Navy as HMAS Choules.
SeaWaves Magazine: NAMING OF EX RFA LARGS BAY - HMAS CHOULES

Attachments

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
why are they so fcuking dim up there - scrap a brand new ship for a fraction of the price. at least its going to a good home.

I take it they will lash a rapier battery and a few 155's to the decks to give it teeth? :)

It really is depressing how much the UK forces are being butchered :(

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
last man out the gate,give the keys to the eastern european security guard.
Young man... possibly I might be a Central European... and could we try to remember 310, 311, 312, 313 and several additional Polish squadrons that meant, imho, you could say what you said. Embankment is a good place to touch base with people who gave their future for you.

Truth is, I was BMH Hannover. Before wearing the best truly red beret in the world!

you seem to have missed the fact we went to war OVER the invasion of poland,so how about the all the british that gave for poland,in case it slipped your mind we only finnished paying for that war a few years back.
alas we are now paying the price of our EU membership,in benefits and cheap labour under cutting the labour market.
if you listern very carefully in stratford upon avon you can hear enoch muttering in his grave.

you seem to have missed the fact we went to war OVER the invasion of poland,so how about the all the british that gave for poland,in case it slipped your mind we only finnished paying for that war a few years back.
alas we are now paying the price of our EU membership,in benefits and cheap labour under cutting the labour market.
if you listern very carefully in stratford upon avon you can hear enoch muttering in his grave.
Did we really go to war?
Were we prepared?
Grumble Grunt is better at this than me
I could only ever suggest that we were incapable of going to war... simply the powers that be did not believe in it...
Except some notable exceptions, but they had no currency in the uk community.

As I understand, the UK was not able to go to war.

Paying the price for licking American arse... they weren.t always on side... Correct me if I am wrong, but America never forgot our debt unlike others. As for Enoch... The riots of blood had a lot true blues in them,,, but I could be wrong.

Take care

Kromeriz
Born in BMH Hanover
Born of Welsh and Cumberland stock
Brother to English and British stock
Son of a Brit Soldier

T

Tinman74

Good lord man, if the knackers in this country could be arssed to get out of their benefit riddled homes and do a honest days work, would there be this claim of cheap labour???

Tinman

German/Irish
Northerner
Infantryman

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Young man... possibly I might be a Central European... and could we try to remember 310, 311, 312, 313 and several additional Polish squadrons that meant, imho, you could say what you said. Embankment is a good place to touch base with people who gave their future for you.

Truth is, I was BMH Hannover. Before wearing the best truly red beret in the world!
Mein Gott - du bist Hugo chavez! hugo-chavez.jpg

Errr . . . . ships :)

Attachments

You missed out 303 Sqn RAF, highest scoring unit in the battle of Britain. I know this because an ex married Squadron Leader Kellett's son a while back.

A neighbour of ours in the 70s was ex Polish fighter pilot, he was a furrier when we knew him and still as mad as a box of frogs.

Top people all of them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rustygun Multinational HQ 5
jonwilly Current Affairs, News and Analysis 6
gallowglass Infantry 63