RFA ARGUS replacement - what and when?

Argus is a vital asset to NAS for training in the SCEXAs as well as a R3 PCRF. Not only that she can house a Sqn of Merlins and operate CH47s, operationally advantageous. She is equipped with an ops room with advance radar and EW systems meaning the ship can operate on the front line where she can best be utilised in all capacities... Currently deployed to the Caribbean.

There was talk of replacement and it was scrapped, instead an extending life refit. Options for PCRF is to have a shakeon style capability that can be placed on the Bay Class of required for R3 medical.
PCRF = Primary Casualty Receiving Facility ?!

"shakeon style capability" . . . I reckon this means containerised facilities, that can/would be lifted onto the rear
(flight deck) of the Bay Class . . . or any other suitable ship.

But, to what does "shakeon style" refer ?!

"shakeon style capability" . . . I reckon this means containerised facilities, that can/would be lifted onto the rear

He means a Chacon (pronounced like shake-on) container which is a jackspeakism for containers which is derived from the old Chatham container. This was a large and strong wooden box structure, approximately 7 feet square by 8 feet high, fitted with lockable double doors on one side, a steel sheathed roof and four lifting lugs. I believe the are still in use in someplace's.

He means a Chacon (pronounced like shake-on) container which is a jackspeakism for containers which is derived from the old Chatham container. This was a large and strong wooden box structure, approximately 7 feet square by 8 feet high, fitted with lockable double doors on one side, a steel sheathed roof and four lifting lugs. I believe the are still in use in someplace's.
The predecessor of the ISO container, made in the Royal Dockyards at Chatham and used to ship goods around the world in WW2.

The used to be an display of and about Chacons at the dockyard museum. I doubt there are any left I use.

Bearing in mind it was invented in Chatham, there was probably a Sapper involved

Marc Levinson's book THE BOX gets to this point - containerisation is one of those things that kept getting invented without really taking off until it did. The LMS Railway had 10,000 of its own in use in the 30s. There was even an International Container Bureau in the interwar years that tried to develop global standard sizes and fittings and promote the idea.

But it wasn't until Malcolm McLean started Sea-Land in the 50s that it got going.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Chacon

In RLC speak - allee same-same as the box on a Mexe.

Or indeed what the fabulous Rollalong , based in Ringwood Hants provide to the Army all over UK

ETA - beaten to it by @instinct above /\

Ah! . . . "Chatham container" = Chatham container = Cha' con' . . . ;) .

I shall NOT loose sleep, wondering how/when the "Che" became a "Sha" !!

Presumably - hopefully - we are now talking about medical etc., "stuff" . . . fitted-out-within; and, lifted on-off deck; using standard measurement 2.5m / 8' 2.5" wide ISO containers ?!

1587042839988.png

1587043956509.png

Last edited:
The predecessor of the ISO container, made in the Royal Dockyards at Chatham and used to ship goods around the world in WW2.

The used to be an display of and about Chacons at the dockyard museum. I doubt there are any left I use.

Bearing in mind it was invented in Chatham, there was probably a Sapper involved
Still a few wooden Devcons floating about in Devonport and still in use by stores teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Options for PCRF is to have a shakeon style capability that can be placed on the Bay Class of required for R3 medical.
On a more serious note, the bun fight twixt PCRS and PCRC has been going on for at least fifteen years. There's a perfectly legit school of thought that a containerised facility (much as Argus was until 2009 (?) hosted in a Bay-class would do. There's another school of thought that says a semi-dedicated ship is required because :

a) The Bays are in heavy demand
b) A containerised facility would make escape and evacuation from the vehicle deck for stretcher cases etc e bit tricky (one reason for the current configuration in Argus)

While Argus OSD has been able to be kicked down the road every four years, no-one has had to make a decision. Now the extension is becoming ever ropier, someone's going to have to. In a climate where public spending (except the NHS) is going to have to meet real austerity.

As does getting rid of Fort George instead of Rosie or Austin. Still, that's what you do to keep the wolf from he door. Sadly, more to come I expect.
You saved alot more money by getting rid of a New Fort over an Old Fort, Ive been told that between George and Vic they both took up something like a third of the RFA's maintenance budget when we had more than 13 ships. Plus The old forts can carry alot more explosives than the new Forts.

On a more serious note, the bun fight twixt PCRS and PCRC has been going on for at least fifteen years. There's a perfectly legit school of thought that a containerised facility (much as Argus was until 2009 (?) hosted in a Bay-class would do. There's another school of thought that says a semi-dedicated ship is required because :

b) A containerised facility would make escape and evacuation from the vehicle deck for stretcher cases etc e bit tricky (one reason for the current configuration in Argus)

While Argus OSD has been able to be kicked down the road every four years, no-one has had to make a decision. Now the extension is becoming ever ropier, someone's going to have to. In a climate where public spending (except the NHS) is going to have to meet real austerity.
You could have the actual hospital sections on the container deck forward of the flight deck. No stairs for people to traverse then! unless they wanted to use the MES, bugger.....

You saved alot more money by getting rid of a New Fort over an Old Fort, Ive been told that between George and Vic they both took up something like a third of the RFA's maintenance budget when we had more than 13 ships. Plus The old forts can carry alot more explosives than the new Forts.
All true. If only they could RAS QEC.......

Sail Argus down the Thames and use her like USNS Mercy and Comfort.

Or anywhere else that she can get to and needs assistance.

Latest Threads