RFA Argus joins bicentennial celebrations in USA

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Jun 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

A pity the MoD doesn't have the balls (or perhaps the knowledge) to point out that we WON the war of 1812 after the RN bankrupted the uppity US and the US had to come crawling for a peace treaty.
  3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

That would be a bit laughable considering we've sent a civilian-manned training ship to a party hosted by the world's largest navy in the port where they dock of their aircraft carriers. For the first time in 100 years we've had a major event to mark a key anniversary of our sovereign without having a Fleet review and now we can't even muster a warship to turn up and show the Yanks that we're still world players.
  4. It's not laughable at all. You've failed to grasp the bigger picture !

Civilian manned perhaps, but none the less, the RFA remain completely integrated into the Royal Navy. In addition there is a large proportion of the ships company are matelots. In addition the majority of RFA are made up of ex-Army, and ex- Royal Navy personal.

The RFA have also have a disguised history of being involved in many Operations and have put themselves in harms way. Arctic Convoys of World War I!. RFA Fort Austin was the first ship to leave for the Falklands Conflict, other RFAs were used as platforms for the capture of South Georgia and RFA Sir Galahad was attacked by three A-4 Skyhawks and is now a War Grave. Many men have died under the service of the blue ensign.

RFA Argus isn't a training ship it's a Primary Casualty Receiving Facility (PCRF). She has a fully equipped 100-bed hospital onboard offering full services. This includes a four-bay Operating Theatre coupled with a 10-bed Critical Care Unit, a 20-bed High Dependency Unit and a CT scanner. She also has aviation facilities and she is also another veteran of the Falklands Conflict
  5. Bouillabaisse

I know all about the RFA and my comments were not intended to be derogatory about them. My understanding is that of the operation 13 RFA ships 11 are deployed. But Argus is nevertheless a support ship commanded and operated by civilians - it is a reflection of the sorry state of the fleet that she is representing the RN and the realities of the situation should be constantly pointed out in the face of the positive spin that MOD's PR people are trying to make. Argus is there because we don't have any proper warships available.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

We should, of course, be sending a re-enactment party to sack and burn the White House all over again.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. As long as the Yanks don't get to the tea stores...
  8. Doesn't matter what we send, this picture says it all… :-(

ETA: please disregard the aircraft on HMS Illustrious, now a not fitted for or with aircraft aircraft carrier.
  9. What's the problem? It's a ship, a big one and it's got some sailors on board. Everyone's a winner!

10. Seriously mate, the fact that half the RFA's predate the Falklands War is not something you'd want to shout from the rooftops.
  11. Commanded maybe, operated? Don't make me laugh- the sloping shoulders of the civies on there was a joke- got to the point where the RN element of the ship were responsible for the mainitaence, cleaning (actully twice daily mopping of the flats), ditching gash, storing ship, helmsmanship, running the flying serials, running the ships defence serials and anything else they didn't like doing, complained to their unions about and passed on to us lot.

Hope the WAFU's took their number 1's this time, last time Argus went anywhere we had to wear 3's as no one was prepaired and look like a right bunch of ***** compaired with other navies around the world that were present!
  12. Oh the Irony
  13. Bouillabaisse

Ravers, god rest his soul, used to say that the arse end of the Fort Vic class was gleaming whilst the pointy it was gash. Reason - the Rn lived and worked aft. Having said that, I've worked with a lot of RFA officers and they're a good professional bunch.
  14. I think an edit is in order, don't you?
  15. Bouillabaisse

Done. Thank you. That could have severely damaged what little credibility I have.