Rewiring house with Cat 6

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by .338lapua_magnum, Aug 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick question. I am about to wire the house up with cat 6 prior to the arrival of 'superfast' broadband. Cable laying and terminating is no problem, however I am not so sure about which network switching equipment to go for. Looking at between 16 and 24 ports. Any advice from practical experience?

2. The BT home hub 5 coming out later this year has 4 gigabit ports.

3. HP Procurve switches do some fantastic value kit - you might look at somewhere towards the lower end of their range. Of course, Cisco is rock solid stuff if you can afford it and know how to configure it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Er, what is it you do in your house? Design rockets?

5. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

I think it's sharks with frikin lasers.....

Wordsmith

6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

And when you need to upgrade to Cat 7 or whatever, replace the plugs instead of ripping all the cabling out of the wall.

7. ...and it all stops working when there's a power cut. Ummm.....

8. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Surely Cat 5e allows much faster data transfer than necessary to deal with an internet connection, super fast or not? So the bottleneck between ARRSE and your PC is still the internet connection rather than the cabling or modern wi-fi. The only reason to upgrade to Cat 6 is for internal networking - so large data transfers between machines within your house, if the machines in question have gigabit network cards in the first place.

• Like Like x 3
  9. We use cat5e for BT vision installs combined with super fast broadband. If installed correctly it works up to 1 gig and is future proofed for quite some time.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  10. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Along with the router / hub and the PC and after a short while the laptop ...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Too easy, Sire, too easy. Take yourself off to a quiet corner and reflect on hasty replies.....

• Like Like x 2
  12. I have used them in the past but they are quite susceptible to cooking when there are power fluctuations and power cuts, an issue that we have every winter.
    Using cat6 rather than cat 5 is a small attempt to build in a little future proofing for little extra expense. It also allows me to link all my satellite equipment and computers between the house and big shed.