Revolver by Guy Ritchie - can anyone explain it to me?

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by CRmeansCeilingReached, Aug 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i am going to post this in both the arty-farty section (for serious answers) and the naafi bar (for pisstakes and amusing jokes about explaining the workings of the pistol / history of the beatles album)

i have just watched Revolver, Guy Ritchie's offering from 2005. i was a big fan of lock stock, and snatch. fantastic films.

i got to the end of Revolver and my reaction was: "what the f*ck was that all about!??!"

i do not mind admitting that i have not got a clue what the story was "really" about. it seems to have stolen ideas from Usual Suspects (some mysterious Kayser Soze supercriminal, who you never see, called Mr Gold); Fight Club (schizophrenic character); and Memento (just being totally confused about what the f*ck is going on).

by the end of this, i am not clear on what the "ending" means. is Mr Green supposed to be somebody else too? is he even out of prison? did / do the two cellmates even exist? was Mr Green supposed to be all three of the central characters, and they are other parts of his personality? what the f*ck was it all about?!?!??!?

i mean, i am quite capable of understanding films usually. i even understood back to the future 2 :)

but this one has me totally baffled. i can understand simple things like the guy getting his hand nailed to a table, a nice trollop flashing her knickers and sucking a lollipop, and a balding, middle-aged, bespectacled assassin going around shooting bad guys through walls (and was he a sideways ripoff of the Hitman series of games...? or just a blatant attempt to produce a cult character by introducing the most uncool / geeky assassin ever? :))

i honestly do not have a clue about the reality. can someone give me a "spoiler" or idiots guide? i mean - crying game? chick is a bloke. fight club? he is both people all along. usual suspects? mong is kayser soze. memento? he really is a killer. they were good twists and made the films very watchable.

but you have to UNDERSTAND the twists to get any enjoyment out of the film, surely... :?

can anyone shed any light?

2. And whilst you're all explaining Revolver, please explain Miami Vice. I'm a big fan of Michael Mann, but last night I got up and walked out 45 minutes into his lastest offering. Pants.

3. OK, Revolver. Thats all about a rags to riches film maker who score a mainstream success with a low budget East London gangster flick. It was so successful and people liked it that much, he decided to do it again, but by this time East London gangster types where waaaaay cool so he managed to blag a Hollywood A lister as his lead man and the most successful female recording artist ever as his wife. A few years later however he noticed the tabloids didn't show the same warmth to him and mrs Richie, so he thought, 'feck it...lets make that EastEnd gagster flick again', and when he did no one liked it. The End.

Gutted to hear the poor revies of Miami Vice though.