Revolut Visa Card

witsend

War Hero
Out of curiosity and just to say I owned part of one, I exchanged 101 Euros for 0.0025 Bitcoin yesterday. 2.5% charge because I have the free account, 1.5% if you have an premium account. I’m about 4 euros down if I sell this morning.

The only thing I’m not confident about yet is keeping lump sums in their vaults/saving account, and it being protected.

I have a metal account with Revolut (£12.99 pcm). I have found it really useful as I travel a lot. The fee equates to about 4 transactions for my Nat West current account so, even though I don't use it all the time, when I am away I reckon it pays for itself when you take into account the superior exchange rates. We were in France last week and I used it every day to pay for taxi, food, drinks, whatever, with no problems. I even topped it up remotely from my UK account. I have several airline pilot friends who swear by it.

FYI - Revolut are now matching any donation you make to the fund for Ukraine with the same amount - upto £1.5 Million, and I think that's damn decent of them:

1646385056850.png

Confirmed elsewhere -

The company is Finnish, not Russian, I have been with them for many years now and can happily recommend Revolut to anyone.

I have a metal account with Revolut (£12.99 pcm). I have found it really useful as I travel a lot. The fee equates to about 4 transactions for my Nat West current account so, even though I don't use it all the time, when I am away I reckon it pays for itself when you take into account the superior exchange rates. We were in France last week and I used it every day to pay for taxi, food, drinks, whatever, with no problems. I even topped it up remotely from my UK account. I have several airline pilot friends who swear by it.
That’s handy to know. I typically do 4 trips a month and even if I don’t set foot outside the hotel that’s 4 transactions as I’ll always have at least one meal that’s not covered by the accommodation contract.

I’m going to give the Basic account a go and only use it for work trips and take it from there. That said, some of the cash back / discounts look tempting as they seem to incorporate everyday vendors such as Boots rather than the obscure ones that, for example Lloyds offer.

Donny

ADC
I mentioned the Starling card upthread as a potential contender, because I’ve found it excellent when travelling. Coincidentally I’ve just come across a detailed head-to-head comparison between Starling and Revolut which might be worth a look. The conclusion para is below and the full article’s here: Revolut vs Starling | Which comes out on top?

Overall verdict: Is Revolut better than Starling?​

The free current accounts from Revolut and Starling are very similar. Both are managed via an app, both have spending analysis and budgeting features, and both accounts can be used to make international transfers.

This makes it hard to choose one above the other, but if we had to pick just one to open, it would probably be Starling. It’s a completely rounded current account, with the ability to deposit cash and cheques (which you can’t do with Revolut), plus it’s unbeatable when it comes to spending and withdrawing money overseas (whereas Revolut imposes limits on it’s free allowances for this). Starling’s UK banking licence means that its customers’ deposits are protected by the FSCS, and it doesn’t charge you for delivering your card.

That’s not to say that Revolut doesn’t have some distinct advantages of its own. It’s currently free to transfer money to any account in the SEPA (Single European Payments Area) region, plus if you’re interested in trading or buying cryptocurrencies then you can do it directly from your Revolut app.

Latest Threads