Reviving old ammo boots

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by RP578, Jul 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I bought a pair of used ammo boots on ebay and they arrived in pretty good condition. My problem is that they have been subjected to many years worth of polish much of which is now uneven and heavily pitted due to obvious wear and tear whilst in storage.

Question then, how best to give the boots a smooth finish instead of its present cratered moonscape; a) keep adding layers of polish or b) scrape off as much of the polish and start again?

Thanks in advance!

2. Stuff with damp paper. Do up the laces. Get a gas blowtorch and burn off the polish. Avoid stitching and laces.
    Enjoy!

3. Option 1. Scrape it all off and start again.

Option 2. Brasso the whole surface. It will burn the wax surface and smooth the pits and damage. Finger and bottle of Brasso should work but you could use cotton wool. Once you are "happy" with the result wash it off and then layer up etc.

Good luck.

4. yup. They work too!

5. Alternatively heat a spoon up till it is red hot and (holding the spoon with a pair of pliers) burn all the old gunge off untill you are down to virgin leather then good luck to you. (loadsa hard work follows :) )

6. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Bugger.

Oh well, might as well get cracking, I've got two weeks to get them tip-top. Cheers for the advice fellas.

7. Send them to the Butler :D

8. P_J

P_J Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Cheap vodka is rather good for removing old polish, as is saddle soap. For keeping them supple and giving a good shine, the inside of banana skins are really good and the natural oil feeds the leather.

9. Contrary to popular belief,you should never ever use a red hot anything on leather,all it does is fu*ks it up,dries it out and eventually cracks.

There are numerous ways of getting old polish of boots,the easiest way is to use a heat gun on its lowest setting,play it over the boot until you see the old polish start to melt,grab a wad of newspaper and quickly wipe of the old polish,alternatively you can use a candle flame to do the same thing,remember there is a vast difference between the leather on a new set of boots,and an old pair of Ammo boots.

10. If you want to do it properly?

1:- are they single soled, if so get them double or tripled, this makes them rigid and stops you making black glitter everytime you wear them.

2:- Dont go anywhere near them with a red hot spoon as previously mentioned, hot spoon for smoothing down the dimples in the leather, and smoothing over the beeswax.

3:- let the bulling commence.

11. As PRC states ask this fella,

The Butler

Excellent advice guaranteed. Examples of his work in the shiny boot thread see page 12 near bottom. Ooooh shiney

12. those are my boots!!! he done a quality job and the price was half what i was expecting!!! they have now done a number of events (involving me having a few beers) and afterwards they only taken a quick buff to get up to the same standard