Reviving a dead(ish) laptop.

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Ravers, Feb 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

In summer 2009, I bought an HP laptop, running Windows Vista. It's one of those smallish ones with a 13" or 14" screen. It was the dog's bollox at the time and didn't come cheap.

Anyway, it's now been very much superseded by my iMac and iPhone, its been in a case unused for the past year or so.

I decided to fire it up today and immediately noticed that it's running exceptionally slowly. The battery also appears to have died and it only works when plugged in, this I can live with to be honest, but the slowness is a bore.

Any ideas to speed things up? It was never this slow before. All the files on it are backed up on the Mac, so I'm wondering if I can just do a factory reset on it and start from scratch?

Thoughts?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

2. Take the battery out, and see what it's like speed-wise.

If you don't need any of the data on it, a factory restore (as you suggest) is a good idea.

Someone on here was after a netbook a day or two ago ago, this might fit the bill.

3. Ravers

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ravers

5. I think that depends on the make of laptop. It's usually a kind of variation on the press CTRL & F2 keys on bootup. You'll find the right method on the web if you do a search

6. Wee bit of ram, but definitely get rid of Vista and stick something like ubuntu on it. Theres a very mac os like linux version called 'elementary os'. As you've got the files backed up its a pretty simple process, if its something your interested in give me a shout and i can run you through it. Give it a new battery too and itll run like new or better!

7. Go into settings and do a factory reset Making sure you have saved all important info as this will be lost on re format.

8. Start > All Programs > Recovery Manager , and then click Recovery Manager - if you don't see it immediately remember that Windows hides unused programs and that is why you have that double upside down chevron to access them.

It should give the option to restore back to a restore point or back to factory settings.
    p.s. you might be better just downloading a cleaner and de-fragmenter and running them to tweak the sytem.

Filehippo has loads of free stuff.

9. msr

msr LE

To be honest by the time you have bought and installed Windows 7, fitted a new battery, installed more RAM, wasted hours re-installing the software and then finding out it is still way slower than your Mac, I'd be minded to erase the HDD with this: Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing and bung it on freecycle.

10. Ravers,

Just curious but whats the laptop worth minus the hard drive? (Genuine question)

11. Ravers

**** know's, I've never bought or sold a second hand laptop before.

I just want to get it up and running again so I've got something I can take on holiday etc. for movies and stuff. Also handy for ******* about with while the missus has commandeered the mac.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

12. msr

msr LE

What model is it?

13. Isn't it just easier to get rid of the wife and replace her with someone who isn't computer literate?

14. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

format the drive, stick a copy of windows or linux on it and it will run way better even if you don't put more ram in there. batteries are about 30 quid.

vista is just crap when I replace vista with a pirate/cracked copy of a better windows version I feel zero guilt about it.

windows 8 was 25 quid up until the 31st of jan - not sure if its been extended or not.

15. Will it run on a antiquated poor mans 'doorstop' 2009 model..??