Review: Type 45 Destroyer Haynes Owners’ Workshop Manual by Prof. Jonathan Gates

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
seaweed

Review: Type 45 Destroyer Haynes Owners’ Workshop Manual by Prof. Jonathan Gates

type-45-e1416783995932-132x150.jpg

Haynes here present a first class, and extraordinarily comprehensive, description of the Royal Navy’s Type 45 Destroyer, covering its genesis, design, development, building, construction, hull, machinery, weapons systems and operation. The author is ex-RCNC and BAE and was part of the T45 design team. This is the real thing, produced with the support of the RN, the MoD and BAE and with contributions from these and a galaxy of suppliers and contractors. These have also provided information for...
http://www.arrse.co.uk/reviews/revi...s-owners-workshop-manual-prof-jonathan-gates/

Excellent book review, thanks! I will now buy the book.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
My Type 45 has developed a new problem, pointed out by a Russian submarine about 100 miles away:

"IT SOUNDS LIKE A BAG OF SPANNERS" they shouted above the noise, in a Russian accent.

British warships are ‘so noisy’ Russian submarines can hear them 100 miles away
‘Noise suppression has been the biggest dirty secret since the end of the Cold War that people have been cheerfully ignoring,’ says Admiral

Britain’s Type 45 destroyers – which have been plagued by engine problems – are “as noisy as hell”, a former director of operational capability for the Ministry of Defence (MoD) Rear Admiral Chris Parry told The Sunday Times.

“We used to put little wooden wedges between the hatchclips and the hatches in my destroyer to stop them rattling so we could keep the noise down,” said Adm Parry.

Latest Threads