Review: Pegasus and Orne Bridges: Their Capture, Defence and Relief on D-Day by Neil Barber

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Auld-Yin submitted a new blog post:

Review: Pegasus and Orne Bridges: Their Capture, Defence and Relief on D-Day by Neil Barber

Review by Wordsmith.

The coup de main by the Major John Howard and his six platoons of the Ox and Bucks light infantry has rightly been regarded as an outstanding example of how a small, highly trained and highly motivated unit can achieve results out of all proportion to its size. ‘The Pegasus and Orne Bridges’ by Neil Barber covers not only the capture of the bridges, but the movement of the relief formations in considerable detail.

I believe it was John Keegan who referred to...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

lepidus

Clanker
A good read but my only main complaint is that unless you had a 1944 map of the area with the mil grid, some of the locations are obscure. A few specially drawn maps of Le Port, Benouville, the bridges and Ranville annotated with the locations mentioned would be a great help. Another point would be an explanation of the weapons carried by the 52nd, the Para's and the Commandos would assist younger readers (and me) in the limitations as regards anti armour defences in particular since this was their main role to keep the Panzers from getting west of the bridges.

Latest Threads