Review of Cyprus LOA?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Mrs_Customs, Oct 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone,
    I'm a bit of a newbie here and found your website as the result of some frantic googling. I was hoping you could help me although I'm not technically MOD personnel.
    My husband currently works for Customs in the UK but has been offered the Customs post at the SBA in Akrotiri. Ever since the job was offered we've had no end of issues with whether or not we're going due to lost security forms, pay reviews, you name it.

The latest sticking point came from an e-mail from hubby's potential employer stating that the COLA or LOA is changing as of 01/10/06.
    Our background is that we are a family with two children under five, and my husband's post is the equivalent of flight lieutenant with the RAF.

We were originally advised that the COLA would be around £8.8K, but have now been quoted a figure of either £4649 or £4314, which is basically a 50% cut.

I don't know if anyone can help and am totally in the dark about whether Civilian staff attract a different rate, however if anybody could shed some light on this I would be incredibly grateful as this could affect whether or not we accept the post or not.

Mrs C
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

If money is the only issue - then don't go. Give it to someone who wants to do the job. It is not as if your hubby is going to be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan after all. It is an 'all paid' holiday for you FFS.
  3. Perhaps I should clarify before I am barracked further.
    At the moment, out of necessity both hubby and I work shifts, sharing childcare responsibilities. This worked well until our eldest started school and now I see less of her and a lot less of my husband.
    When this post was advertised it looked like the perfect opportunity to regain some quality of family life, as I planned to give up my £35K job in order to spend more time with my family in a place where it is less expensive to live (aka anywhere but Rip-Off Britain)
    The money is an issue as we will still have a mortgage and bills to pay with one less income coming in and there is only a certain margin before we end up in debt.
    We are prepared to make considerable sacrifices for this 'all paid holiday' but we have our limits!
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Keep it up - the tears are welling up in my eyes. I 'salute' your sacrifices. (Not)
  5. Although your husband's prospective job has the equivalent rank of Flt Lt this has no bearing on pay or allowances - you need to contact the uncivil service about rates of COLA etc - LOA is paid to military types only!!
  6. Having spent a few years at Akrotiri recently, i can state quite categorically that Cyprus is NOT cheap. It is often MORE expensive than the UK (petrol, alcohol and cigarettes excluded)!
  7. Fully concur - and that was a few years ago as well. Our chums from the SBA Customs actually helped to make the experience even more expensive as well, through some judicious taxation of so-called tax free parcels from abroad.

Don't go. No-one will talk to you Mrs "My husband is a Flt Lt equivelant". You're a civvie, no more, no less.
  8. Well a charming bunch you turned out to be! I was only asking a question.

Thanks, at least, to Solon_of_Athens and agoodgrouping who each sent me a private message that was informative, polite and didn't resort to insults or name-calling.
  9. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Pal of mine did that job some time ago. Had a great time but I think that was mainly for the sport!! He even extended.
    He is still with Customs & could no doubt give you a lot of info.