Reversing Dr Beeching cuts

but the actual usage of the track or road way, in terms of people passing per minute, has to be kept very low for safety reasons.
Is that actually true, you get a lot of people on one train. Some rough maths ~750 people on a full large passenger train. Typical car occupancy on a motoroway I'd suspect is ~ 2 so that's 375 cars, 2 lanes, assuming one full of lorries plus poor lane discipline in most drivers, ~ 50 m between vehicles = 9.4 Km of road. I have no idea how far apart trains run, but 9.4 Km seems a bit far to me.

Headway is measure in time, a four aspect signalling gives a maximum headway of four minutes!
Surely, time, breaking and accelerating time? A full freight length freight given the right of way may take a tad longer to get upto full line speed on the main and thus allow the following services to continue normally. Happy to be educated.

ugly

LE
Speed is critical hence moving block being better. The problem is every aspect other than green is a caution, you should be prepared to brake for the next signal. In cab moving block you just get sent the speed to be driven at, in the latest ECTS L3 you get an indication of what the traffic control has told your train to drive itself at!

ugly

LE
You can increase the potential linespeed with 2 or 3 aspects by having longer sections, this reduces the amount of trains to be run. Fast turnout control was aided by flashing yellow and double yellow aspects meaning a higher than usual speed was permitted through the points.

That would imply three sections at an average 60 mph with the fourth being stop. Am I correct?
ECML has sections capable of 140MPH, GWML - 125, WCML has varied speed sections - Pendies have a higher speed than ordinary stock...

This will make your head wobble... ;)

I would need some convincing that Harold MacMillan, his Tory Government, Marples and Beeching were engaged in liberalising Britain.
I don't think they knew it but personally I think they had a hand in it. Mac was head honcho in the first post war government with a few quid to spare even with the NHS (which didn't spend on anything but illness then) and knew we had never had it so good.

They also had Hancocks half hour, going to the pub at lunch time and decent chip shops. Life was sweet.

This topic and the contemporary shenanigans are much more interesting than railway closures or Dr Beeching the pantomime villain.

Yes Baron Beeching (to be) recommended railway cuts and 4,000 miles of line closures. True to his nature and previous track record he'd had the railways in his sights for a while, He just needed the official excuse and remit to do his thing. Luckily he was sacked after his first butcher's job on the railways and before he could do more damage.

But Baron Marples (to be) was something else. Allegedly a seedy crook and tax dodger living it up in Belgravia, he was MD of Marples Ridgeway construction or civil engineering, building roads while in public office.

Marples allegedly ran down the railways while he was Minister of Transport for a record five years under Harold Macmillan, who was definitely a fan after Ernest apparently made MacMillan's career by helping him out with his successful housing project, beating competition from Labour.

Is that actually true, you get a lot of people on one train. Some rough maths ~750 people on a full large passenger train. Typical car occupancy on a motoroway I'd suspect is ~ 2 so that's 375 cars, 2 lanes, assuming one full of lorries plus poor lane discipline in most drivers, ~ 50 m between vehicles = 9.4 Km of road. I have no idea how far apart trains run, but 9.4 Km seems a bit far to me.
True, but stand by a railway track, a train passes every 10 (?) minutes.
You'd need to compare it with buses, rather than cars. Once the driver is removed (already possible) you could theoretically have a continuous line of buses moving on the same road/track, with individual buses/coaches pulling out of the stream to set down or pick up passengers as required.
That's how they'll move more passengers and get the maximum use out of the roadway.

Last edited:
ECML has sections capable of 140MPH, GWML - 125, WCML has varied speed sections - Pendies have a higher speed than ordinary stock...

This will make your head wobble... ;)
This one is more realistic and the real line has changed somewhat from the vid.
Done both quite a number of times. In the end I cut the journey times by flying to Edinburgh from city, then catching a train to Pitlochry-some palaver that was but saved 12 hours on a bus. Done the overnighters too. I have also driven it and Bused it.
True, but stand by a railway track, a train passes every 10 (?) minutes.
AT Termini it can be one a minute-out in the sticks it's one every 20-30 or so minutes and more like a railcoach-never mind a train. The Problem is that cities and major towns give a flawed impression of the level of services available.

Done both quite a number of times. In the end I cut the journey times by flying to Edinburgh from city, then catching a train to Pitlochry-some palaver that was but saved 12 hours on a bus. Done the overnighters too. I have also driven it and Bused it.

AT Termini it can be one a minute-out in the sticks it's one every 20-30 or so minutes and more like a railcoach-never mind a train. The Problem is that cities and major towns give a flawed impression of the level of services available.
I still get depressed at the thought of navigating through Edinburgh Waverley.

I still get depressed at the thought of navigating through Edinburgh Waverley.
What depressed me there was the fact that I then had to catch a Perth/ inverness train that was a bit the Lowestoft Ipswich connection- slow drawn out. I mean picturesque yes, lovely but not when you have an ailing P to worry about. Even the last time I visited for the Tattoo back in the naughties with aged P the train took almost two hours from Pitlochry.

crustyrusty

On ROPS
On ROPs
This topic and the contemporary shenanigans are much more interesting than railway closures or Dr Beeching the pantomime villain.

Yes Baron Beeching (to be) recommended railway cuts and 4,000 miles of line closures. True to his nature and previous track record he'd had the railways in his sights for a while, He just needed the official excuse and remit to do his thing. Luckily he was sacked after his first butcher's job on the railways and before he could do more damage.

But Baron Marples (to be) was something else. Allegedly a seedy crook and tax dodger living it up in Belgravia, he was MD of Marples Ridgeway construction or civil engineering, building roads while in public office.

Marples allegedly ran down the railways while he was Minister of Transport for a record five years under Harold Macmillan, who was definitely a fan after Ernest apparently made MacMillan's career by helping him out with his successful housing project, beating competition from Labour.
Ripped through Somerset hence why nowadays the West Somerset Preservation Line doing a good service and job. Used to use it sometimes for the commute from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead on weekends.
Got a discount as a local & easier than the A358 to Minehead in the Summer with to/from Butlins traffic

ugly

LE

There was a tale that Macmillans family had been major shareholders in GWR and lost a lot financially on nationalisation.
Now whether that is true or not I cant confirm but oddly enough the BR regions (based on the old big four companies) actually did little to prevent closure of what had been other companies competition for a long time. Western Region actively encouraged the closure of the North Cornwall line a former LSWR/SR line. Some bits were retained against all common sense yet have risen from the edge of oblivion into major commuter routes.

What depressed me there was the fact that I then had to catch a Perth/ inverness train that was a bit the Lowestoft Ipswich connection- slow drawn out. I mean picturesque yes, lovely but not when you have an ailing P to worry about. Even the last time I visited for the Tattoo back in the naughties with aged P the train took almost two hours from Pitlochry.
The fastest train from Pitlochry to Waverley takes 1hr 50min, the majority of them are more than 2hrs.
Anyone travelling by train North of the Forth & Clyde needs to be not in a hurry.