Reversing Dr Beeching cuts

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by re-stilly, Nov 29, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The trackbed from Cranleign to Guildford is part of the Downs Link, and the local council has put a block on any development on it. There have been feasability studies into re-opening this line.

Cranleigh line - Wikipedia

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I never did understand the labour shortage given the numbers being demobbed. Totally different from the superficially similar situation after WW1.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Even when I started work (after leaving the Army) there were plenty of older men who could recall never being out of work up until the very late 70's.
    As a nation we did have a serious labour shortage, many lads would quit a job in the morning and be employed elsewhere by lunchtime. The town centre where I lived was mostly terraces but with courtyards at the rear filled with little garages and engineering firms. Many of the jobs taken by immigrants were fairly low paid public transport jobs. On the Southern region many P Way gangs were all former Italian PoWs or Polish emigrees.
    Their kids wouldn't follow Dad onto the railway and by the 60's there was serious labour shortages still.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The war interfered with transport planning. The line to Chessington South should have continued on to Epsom but the war intervened. Post war lack of investment cash and the Acts stopping building on green field sites put paid to it. There is a platform that's never seen a passenger and the track is original 1939 and only sees rail plant parked on it!

5. Sad to say that even if every serviceperson who was demobbed went back to their old job there were still 380,000+ vacancies.

• Like Like x 2
  6. 97% of steel used on the railway is produced in the UK....

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

apart from crossings, they seem to be austrian

8. On the subject of the Underground, the following may be of interest if you want to watch all 53 minutes of it,

• Like Like x 1
  9. There's a fair few bits of steel still in place at Spencer Road halt in South Croydon, together with a rather creaky footbridge. It is somewhat overgrown which presumably has put off any prowling knackers.

10. I reckon we'd be better off draining the canals and turning those into railways.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Oddly enough, whilst the canals were the superhighways of the first industrial revolution they are also one of the superhighways of the third one (railways being the second).

The canal network carries much of the broadband, fibre optics and communications service around the U.K. (easy to dig up, no effect on transport and run between pretty much all of the major cities in the U.K.).

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  12. One thing I can't recall being widely known is that, to a large extent, Beeching was Ernest Marples sock. Now Marples was a nasty piece of work, Conservative our of solid Labour roots. Wiki is somewhat deficient, but let it be known that Marples was involved in several large construction companies -- including quelle surprise -- road building [Marples Ridgeway & property company Ecclestone Enterprises to name but two].

He also did a tax evasion runner to Monaco in later life and was disgraced.

Despite have done quite a lot of good stuff, he appears to have been a right nasty piece of work.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Something needs to be done about rail transport in the UK.
    Having booked quite a few times with virgin west coast in the past I am on their mailing list.
    A couple of weeks ago I got an email declaring that they were having a sale and "Now is the time to book".
    Bearing in mind its the main link between London and Glasgow I refuse to go anything other than first class.
    The cheapest ticket of my choosing came up as £498.00 return.
    A nice week in Lanzarote or a few hours sitting on a train. You decide.

14. Try getting from Warrington to Plymouth first class.
    You won't want to go standard because you may well not get a seat.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Its not the lack of seating that bothers me I can happily do a Corbyn and sit outside the carsey. Its the pissed up Rab Nesbitt types puking and farting and chugging back cheap cans of lager that make me want to rip their eyeballs out.

• Like Like x 2