Reversing Dr Beeching cuts

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by re-stilly, Nov 29, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It is - I presume they would either need to re-route that section of line or demolish the supermarket and shops to re-instate the station.

The A281 isn't too bad - in my case there is no way putting the rail link back would shorten my journey - it would take me about as long to get to Guildford (and then still have to do Guildford->Cranleigh) as it does to get all the way to Cranleigh by car.

2. What? Slam door stock are used on several lines... Open December Modern Railways, please.

3. No to the re-routing. The track is clear all the way down to where the old station was.
    6B74ADCD-CF64-4CC3-A18C-8268DAC76153.jpeg

The goods yard is where the car park is now, the land to the SW of the old station is still farmland (1940 OS map). Cranleigh got bigger, didn’t it.

I wouldn’t expect the line to extend beyond Cranleigh although it could be extended to Horsham if the will was there.

No point in extending it beyond Horsham as I doubt if there is any demand to get to Shoreham (which is why the track was closed in the first place).

All a bit of a pipe dream really.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The killer question on reopening lines has to be traction, in areas outside of the former southern region it is simpler, allow space for overhead line and await funding. The former southern region causes real problems, the TOC's are supposed to be supporting electrification, there are only a handful of lines served by diesel only stock but installing new 3rd rail systems is a big no no especially if the line could fringe an overhead line area!

5. @Tedsson - “who owns the huge network of disused/dismantled railways and associated property across Britain?” is a question I'd thought about. So I asked a family member. They think BRB Residual went a few years ago; BRB were managing the viaducts and bridges.Their old functions were split up between Highways Historical Railways (legacy bridges and tunnels), also London, the RSSB and the DfT.

The list of several heritage, private and preserved railways and museums in UK, is on Wiki List of British heritage and private railways - Wikipedia. Wiki will do for a start.

Councils inherited the track beds; landowners and heritage societies acquired them, and the DfT sold off surplus. Disused lines have gone to leisure and cycling, or disappeared under housing developments. Estate management companies rent and sell land, and deal with railway paths for cycling and walking. Sustrans promotes cycling and walking routes on the National Cycle Route, 'used by 5 million'.

A lot of work is being done on maintenance and restoration: Latest News | Railway Paths | public routes, roads and paths suitable for cycling, walking, horseriding and wheel-chair use .They love their "traffic-free paths, quiet on-road cycling and walking routes". They say they agree with reversing Beeching's axe in principle, I doubt they're much interested in rail transportation and jobs.

Sustrans has already responded to the Department for Transport’s announcement to re-open disused railway lines, Walking and cycling routes along disused railway lines must be maintained .

I know nothing whatsoever about the modern railways apart from a bit of Victorian history, but I'd guess there's as much chance of reversing Beeching's cuts as there is of restoring our navigation canals to their old purpose and glory. I did say that I know nothing about it though.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

7. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

There are many, many other publications which I'll open first.

As you like, however the presumption going forward is not to use slam-door carriages, no?

8. Well no. You never introduced the term 'presumption' did you?

You just delivered a sloppy piece of unfactual journo tour de force bollocks, right? However, interested in your many other publications on railways that you study so hard. Care to list any? And what you learnt from them over the last 30 plus years as well as your work with the Railways as some former Councillors have had. Really, all ears.

Let's leave it there please.

I missed a preposition out of something I said and you need to improve your knowledge of the railways.

I was actually trying to say something great about you. I failed. I apologise.

9. Cold_Collation

I’m just sad we’re arguing, frankly.

As you say, let’s park it.

10. Jack_Prior wrote:
    Ahem...Restoration of Lock 15 on the Grantham Canal is nearly complete, then work will move to Locks 14, 13 12 and so on until the canal link into the River Trent is restored. It's a big programme that will take a bit of time, but it's happening. Water will be added to this lock when the gates are installed in April 2018.

IMG_1580.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  11. Good news and I know that the IWA has done restorations with projects ongoing. I'm quite fond of the canals, growing up in the Midlands and around Locks I know the Grand Union well.

I wasn't running our canals or all the work and volunteers down. We've miles of canals with more boats, probably 40,000, than the Industrial revolution, serving as recreation. Different times and progress, the towpaths are used for electric and fibre-optic cables, and mobile phone masts as well as walking and cycling.

As for their old glory and purposes -- knowing full well they weren't efficient, clean or sustainable -- we won't turn the clock back on railways or the canals and barges, or reverse Beeching's cuts and reclaim a lot of land - which is what I meant. The damage is done. But the history and architecture on both networks are grand. I'm apolitical but British Rail I honestly think was broken up to satisfy Tory donors and the banks. Fracturing and botched privatisation, roads, sell offs, cars and developments inevitably took a lot away from the railways. And also crippled a few seaside resorts and urban areas with constantly declining and underfunded bus services. As things stand locally I haven't used the rail network for years. I'm glad I don't need to. Love a boating holiday though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Though not strictly to do with Dr Beeching's recommendations, here's a rather interesting video of London Transport during WWII. The scenes are brilliantly dubbed into Gustaf Holst sound track.

Though not a Londoner, this video gives me a sense of pride of what was.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Cold_Collation

I always marvel at how quickly back into service things were after bomb damage. Contrast today.

• Like Like x 1
  14. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Love the tinny tannoy soundtrack and the crisp enunciation of the commentator. And the signal arms.

15. It's a nice piece of wartime propaganda, but the truth is that it was during WW2 and the period after that LT suffered very badly indeed. Capital investment stopped, so did anything other than emergency repairs and maintenance - much of the LT depot and works capacity was given over to war work. A large proportion of the railway rolling stock was laid up in depots and out in the open for the duration - thereby falling into disrepair and dereliction and requiring it to be virtually completely rebuilt in order to bring it back into service. There were severe staff shortages (requiring a post war recruitment drive in the West Indies) and much of the 'new works' programme of the 1930s was abandoned entirely or held in abeyance until the 1960s.

TfL are still playing catch-up.

• Like Like x 2