Revenge: Meghan, Harry and the war between the Windsors. by Tom Bower

rustypilgrim

Old-Salt
@naffnickname is actually Tom Bower , not the DoC after all , and I claim a further £5 ........

I know this for sure , because like all good investigative authors he always holds material back for further books later on ......
With these pair, and the way they knock out headlines, drama and crisis, I really don't think there is any need to hold back anything for further volumes. Now people's patience and interest, that may get a bit scarce in future.

With these pair, and the way they knock out headlines, drama and crisis, I really don't think there is any need to hold back anything for further volumes. Now people's patience and interest, that may get a bit scarce in future.
Her multiple wardrobe changes when attending tragic events are getting noticed for the wrong reasons and you're right , they are becoming irrelevant .
Any political ambitions she may harbour are hampered by him , not enhanced .
The book will drown them in a legal mire , which will bring publicity , but for all the wrong reasons .

Well, here we go.

The end of first 3 chapters seemed a good place to take a breather, getting the first marriage, its break up and her subsequent overseas manhunt.

So far Bower has expertly and meticulously set the scene from before she was born. It's an easy, but not a fast read as GRB said, you have to keep go back and rereading bits to make sure you haven't imagined what you've just read.

It starts with Thomas Markle's unsuccessful first marriage which produced her half brother and sister, his relationship with Meghan's slightly flaky, rather self absorbed Mother and the highlight of his life, the day Rachel Meghan was born. Thomas Markle says mixed marriages were something of a novelty then and he was asked what colour the baby was likely to be - sounds familiar - although I daresay it's a common enough question.

Young Meghan, it seems, supported by her totally besotted father, learned to manipulate people into doing exactly what she wanted them to. Capable of acts of great kindness and empathy (whether genuinely or to gain favourable attention is not certain), she became increasingly adept as she grew older of sickly sweet wheedling and shows of affection, interspersed with meltdowns worthy of the attention of an expert exorcist.

She appears to have been popular and intelligent, if controlling at school, honing her craft for later years.

Those first couple of chapters filled a gap for me as I knew very little about her early life, other than her description, which has been blown out of the water. Thomas was totally aghast at some of the discrepancies between fact and 'her truth' when she described events.

Fair enough, ask someone to describe an event just after it happened, then again several years later and there will be small discrepancies as memory fades, but not something that bears no relation whatsoever to the original event. Recollections may vary indeed.

Frequent after school visits to the film studio where her Father worked as a lighting director gave her the idea (one her half sister Samantha had had previously) of becoming an actress.

In her second year of college, during a rare moment of self doubt, she asked her Uncle to arrange a 5 week internship for her. As has been reported elsewhere she failed the first exams and returned to college,

The next chapters are devoted to her single minded pursuit becoming with very little success as she remained herself and seemed unable to immerse herself in the character she was supposed to be portraying.

Thomas financed a rented apartment and bought her a second hand car while she pursued the actress dream, during this time she took various part time jobs

No mention of seafaring pursuits,

After several short relationships with the wrong type of man, or those unwilling to commit, she met Trevor, already on the fringes of the film business who set out to charm her, and she allowed herself to be charmed as she thought he could further her career.

Fairly soon afterwards, having shown him off to all her friends she moved in with him. According to 'her truth' they lived an idyllic if slightly unlikely life.

A brief summary of her time as a Deal or no Deal Briefcase wielder, the infamous BBQ ad and various small film appearances which were nothing special but at least gave her a history of work handy for auditions.

Than came 'the audition' for the role of Rachel in Suits, which she got. This was followed by the realisation that it was to be filmed in Toronto.

That seems as good a place as any to pause for now, more to follow, up to the break up of the marriage.

Well, here we go.

The end of first 3 chapters seemed a good place to take a breather, getting the first marriage, its break up and her subsequent overseas manhunt.

So far Bower has expertly and meticulously set the scene from before she was born. It's an easy, but not a fast read as GRB said, you have to keep go back and rereading bits to make sure you haven't imagined what you've just read.

It starts with Thomas Markle's unsuccessful first marriage which produced her half brother and sister, his relationship with Meghan's slightly flaky, rather self absorbed Mother and the highlight of his life, the day Rachel Meghan was born. Thomas Markle says mixed marriages were something of a novelty then and he was asked what colour the baby was likely to be - sounds familiar - although I daresay it's a common enough question.

Young Meghan, it seems, supported by her totally besotted father, learned to manipulate people into doing exactly what she wanted them to. Capable of acts of great kindness and empathy (whether genuinely or to gain favourable attention is not certain), she became increasingly adept as she grew older of sickly sweet wheedling and shows of affection, interspersed with meltdowns worthy of the attention of an expert exorcist.

She appears to have been popular and intelligent, if controlling at school, honing her craft for later years.

Those first couple of chapters filled a gap for me as I knew very little about her early life, other than her description, which has been blown out of the water. Thomas was totally aghast at some of the discrepancies between fact and 'her truth' when she described events.

Fair enough, ask someone to describe an event just after it happened, then again several years later and there will be small discrepancies as memory fades, but not something that bears no relation whatsoever to the original event. Recollections may vary indeed.

Frequent after school visits to the film studio where her Father worked as a lighting director gave her the idea (one her half sister Samantha had had previously) of becoming an actress.

In her second year of college, during a rare moment of self doubt, she asked her Uncle to arrange a 5 week internship for her. As has been reported elsewhere she failed the first exams and returned to college,

The next chapters are devoted to her single minded pursuit becoming with very little success as she remained herself and seemed unable to immerse herself in the character she was supposed to be portraying.

Thomas financed a rented apartment and bought her a second hand car while she pursued the actress dream, during this time she took various part time jobs

No mention of seafaring pursuits,

After several short relationships with the wrong type of man, or those unwilling to commit, she met Trevor, already on the fringes of the film business who set out to charm her, and she allowed herself to be charmed as she thought he could further her career.

Fairly soon afterwards, having shown him off to all her friends she moved in with him. According to 'her truth' they lived an idyllic if slightly unlikely life.

A brief summary of her time as a Deal or no Deal Briefcase wielder, the infamous BBQ ad and various small film appearances which were nothing special but at least gave her a history of work handy for auditions.

Than came 'the audition' for the role of Rachel in Suits, which she got. This was followed by the realisation that it was to be filmed in Toronto.

That seems as good a place as any to pause for now, more to follow, up to the break up of the marriage.
If there are any details of how Meghan met Jessica Mulroney and Sophie Grégoire Trudeau that may be interesting, as well as when Harry would use the Mulroney house in Toronto to visit Meghan.

Jessica and Sophie Grégoire both have connections with the highest levels of politics, business, and society in Canada, while Meghan was very much an unknown and a hanger-on.

The three women were supposedly very close at one time, but there were reports that Meghan dropped the other two like a hot potato once their usefulness had come to an end.

The story of how that friendship developed and, by some reports, came to an end would make for an interesting example of how Meghan can turn on the charm when it suits her and then turn 180 degrees once she has what she wants.

If there are any details of how Meghan met Jessica Mulroney and Sophie Grégoire Trudeau that may be interesting, as well as when Harry would use the Mulroney house in Toronto to visit Meghan.

Jessica and Sophie Grégoire both have connections with the highest levels of politics, business, and society in Canada, while Meghan was very much an unknown and a hanger-on.

The three women were supposedly very close at one time, but there were reports that Meghan dropped the other two like a hot potato once their usefulness had come to an end.

The story of how that friendship developed and, by some reports, came to an end would make for an interesting example of how Meghan can turn on the charm when it suits her and then turn 180 degrees once she has what she wants.
I expect it will come up, I'll see what I can find

The William affair rumour is just that. Maliciously put out. Rather like the ones that were put out about Edward and Edo's behaviour when their wives had had too much attention.

Bower did say that Markle had been liberal with NDAs and cleaning - but he had found enough people willing to speak and left an awful it out. And it will have been [enough to crash a narcissist if he only accurately covers timelines and known events to correct the 'officially' given record]

A straight account will do enough damage. He said in an interview he hoped it would take them down but also that now people were coming forward it would make more people feel safe enough to come forward.

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
In a tangentially-related coincidence, I was in the library today and found a copy of the Morton book on Meghan. You know, the one they didn't contribute to. Except they then admitted that they did.

It's now on my reading pile, for comparison purposes ;-)

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Dwarf

LE
Book Reviewer
Posted also on the Harry and Meghan thread.

Well I've finished the Bower book and I must say I felt it could have done so much more. I got the sensation that he was playing it safe by using material that is in the public domain and he could have got most of his book by reading this thread. Certain sea-faring days were not touched on, possibly because her lawyers had got there first and/or possibly because there was little back-up.
I got the impression that he didn't want someone to be able to contradict any contentious element and therefore be able to paint the whole effort as a lying stitch-up. He has said that there is much more material he hasn't published so far, and perhaps this will frighten the Mega-thing off suing. I have heard from Rumour Control that the paper-back will have further chapters so if true perhaps he is establishing the veracity of what he says by playing safe initially. Once established as either unchallengeable or having fought off the challenge he can then go further.
So what has he managed to do with this book? By putting all the material into one tome with a timeline he has established a narrative that runs contrary to that established by Megs. With the material in one block there is a complete story with an unflattering picture that allows the progression and plan to be seen. This way it is difficult for her to counter each story one by one and weave it into her narrative, one has to counter the whole which will not be easy. The main thing is that she has lost control of the narrative with an alternative out there that is both respected and has credence.
So he has done a good job, but one feels that it could have gone further. Let's see if the paperback does indeed go that extra mile.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The trailed copy I've seen has been - there's no other word for it - tepid.

I see no need for sensationalism - that actually only plays to two individuals' 'hurt' - but even so what I've see so far has left me wondering whether to read a book I've been eagerly anticipating.

I'm becoming less inclined.

I agree with @rustypilgrim, though, in that keeping a little powder dry at the moment makes sense. If at reported Harry's (apparently malicious) crayoning has now had sign-off, it may well be useful to have a few 'ah, buts...' left in the magazine.

One wonders how much official sanction Bower's book has had from the Royal Family.

I've decided to take a different tack, as the original idea would still have me here in a few weeks time.

In the interim, anyone expecting anything jaw droppingly sensational will not be happy.

The book's value for me is that it seems a truthful and unbiased, chronological account.

For me also, the real interest is that it fills many gaps in my knowledge of Meghan's early life and her single minded, obsessive development into what she is today.

I am looking forward to a similar and possibly more surprising journey of discovery into Harry's development. Another area of little knowledge for me, other than what I've read on ARRSE and the well publicised stuff.

This book also chums the waters and let's possible further complainants see they're not alone and perhaps they should step forward. It also has altered the public perception of them being the innocent parties...a change in the 'Overton Window', so to speak.

There doesn't appear to be a chapter on her sailing days. Is that important part of her career absent? or should I say. 'over the side'?
I'd imagine that's in the many bits Bower said he had to leave out. The lawyers will have crawled all over this before it was released.

Konstabel_Els

Old-Salt
I'd imagine that's in the many bits Bower said he had to leave out. The lawyers will have crawled all over this before it was released.

I don't expect many of her fellow sailors would like to admit to their families just what their 'team building' week away was and where. Shame, I would have enjoyed thumbing through that chapter.

I don't expect many of her fellow sailors would like to admit to their families just what their 'team building' week away was and where. Shame, I would have enjoyed thumbing through that chapter.
There are some pretty interesting dits out there on the web about the practice of yachting. Never sure how much to believe as some of it reads like it was written by a bad airport novelist.

Morning all. So far I am impressed with this volume. The chapters are laid out in a sequence, and are named
Thomas
School
College
Suits
Manhunt
Influencer
The Irishman
Hillary
Watershed
Rwanda
Reitmans - Take Two
Limbo

all about Meghan and her family, going back to grandparents. Like many modern families, it's complicated, but she does seem to have had the best of the deal and had an upbringing that I and many here would envy. She was loved by both parents, and rarely did anyone ever deny her what she wanted.

Of course her own version of this is different. For example her Friday after school treat of being taken to film sets by her father is portrayed as being made to be there after school every day.

The next two chapters, A Troubled Prince and The Catch, give an insight into Harry's upbringing, including the questions over his father. As @CrashTestDummy has requested no spoilers, I'll say that I learnt several things here, but can confirm that rumours about James Hewitt being The Daddy are indeed untrue.

Following Chapters
Exposed
Hiccups
Vanity Fair
Spotlight
Engagement
Aggravation
Tears

have been very informative about how the secret was leaked by Meghan and her people whilst still being embargoed by the Royal Family, how quickly she started to milk her 'soon to be Royal' status to publicise her political ambitions, and the start of the breakdown in relationships with the Duchess of Cambridge and other Royals.

Chapters to come
Humiliation
Wedding
Tremors
Suicide
Exposure
Baby Shower
wellness
Pitching
Vogue
Attack
Transit
Farewell
Paradise
The Trial
The Jigsaw
Netflix
The Interview
Backlash
Grandstanding
Victory
Revenge
Full-out

Remain to be read in quiet moments today, the chapter titles already causing wry smiles here.

Suffice to say that Bower holds nothing back about Meghans's now-known behaviour to those who can help her, those she considers should be her minions, and those of whom she is jealous.

It's written in an easy style, quick to read. Yet some pages I have to read twice because I just can't believe this stuff happened. For example her desire to be a UN Ambassador and how that panned out. Her trip to Rwanda where she took numerous outfits and did a long fashion shoot, spending a tiny amount of time with the poor children she was supposedly there to support, and then being photographed in many outfits whilst talking to them.

I cannot, from what is written here, believe that any self-respecting man would ever become involved with this woman. And that includes the previous husbands/long term boyfriends. The Irishman had a very lucky escape!

No more for now, back to the reading.....
does it state what her mothers very hazy history is? - the women in my family say that she was in jail for quite a few years and that she had a very shaky relationship with megain to the point it was pretty shocking that the only person who she invited to the wedding was her mum and lots of A listers who she never knew

Latest Threads