Revealed: The hero who wiped out Hitlers notorious tank ace

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by AlienFTM, Jun 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

From Daily Mail, 26 June 2006:

2. You just can't respect these guys enough can you.

No immodesty there, it was just a job to be done and done well. At the end of the war, back to day job.

Like I say, just can't give enough respect, and in some ways awe.

3. Good post.

There is an interview with one of the tank commanders in one of the cpommeorative"v D Day books. Its ion a CD.

You can read more about the unit in Ken Tout's bookm "Tank"

4. He seems to have taken that remarkably calmly.. 8O

5. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

I was down at Bovvy tank muesum just before christmas 2003 and the bloke as there some one spotted who he was and was talking away to him seemed very polite and willing to chat away about the subject and have his picture taken respect were it's due

6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Top post, and nice to see Bovvy putting a bit of a do on for him.

7. Finally revealed? It's been known for over a decade.

Couple of other things. AFAIK Wittmann was not a party member though he did join the SS in '36. From what i've read Adolph didn't attend his marriage either, he did meet him though in June '44 when he received his swords to his knight's cross.

8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Quite. It made a good story for Tankfest weekend. I had a few points but decided to quote the article verbatim for the benefit of the forum.

9. Hmm so what if it can't be proved he was aparty member, pre war SS membership says enough ;)

Wittman is the best known of the German Tank aces, because of Villers Bocage, but he isn't the only one. Here is a fan site. The tone is nauseously fawning, but it does provide some information - http://www.angelfire.com/goth/bobtank/panzer_ace.html

10. Not really, many went for the swanky uniforms, promise of quick advancement, better opportunities all that type of crap. The Heer was still, even to the end of the war very prussian in it's traditions, customs and outlook. You know how we've had that same kind of thing in the British army where you simply didn't get in to certain regiments if you didn't have the right name or connections. Same thing for the Germans and a great many saw the SS (we're talking the SS-VT, later known as the Waffen-SS) as an alternative.

FWIW i find the waffen-ss to be generally over rated not to mention blown out of all proportions. Look at how many English language books are written about them compared to Heer units. The best Heer divisions were in every way the equal if not better than the best SS units, in fact some of the SS divisions were mediocre at best and others quite appalling.

11. I was convinced until recently that 'Firefly Joe' Ekins did for Wittmann until I read a new Canadian book on the Normandy campaign. Can't find it at the mo, nor can I remember the title, but will post details as soon as. BTW, the Canadian historian Terry Copp says that Ekins' regt, the Northants Yeo, knocked out Wittmann ('Fields of Fire: The Canadians in Normandy')

12. I was convinced until recently that 'Firefly Joe' Ekins did for Wittmann until I read a new Canadian book on the Normandy campaign. Can't find it at the mo, nor can I remember the title, but will post details as soon as. BTW, the Canadian historian Terry Copp says that Ekins' regt, the Northants Yeo, knocked out Wittmann ('Fields of Fire: The Canadians in Normandy')

13. I think you mean ' A Fine Night for Tanks' by that author, detailing Op TOTALIZE 1 - an op including possibly the first known use of armoured personnel carriers by Gen Crerrar to break the defensive line on the Bourgebus ridge that had done for GOODWOOD. A good read, and a good spot to visit - you can match history to ground fairly well - including the relative spots of the Firefly & Wittman.

14. No, I've read 'A Fine Night for Tanks' by Ken Tout which included the story of Joe Ekins knocking out Wittmann. I'm still searching for the Canadian book. All that I can remember is that it's published by a company called Robin Brass Studio. Can anyone else help?