Returning to UK

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by oldarmr, Mar 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, has anyone any experiance of moving civilian firearm/shotguns from Germany to the UK. I am due posting in June, I was hoping to fly back with them but Ryanair wont take weapons. Can anyone recommend any of the ferry companies or other airlines?

Thanks in advance
  2. pm me
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Any national carrier will take them - BA, KLM, Lufthansa etc - all have their little anomalies regarding procedure.

My recommendation is to trawl the company website and print out their rules and regs, likewise for the customs/import. I always meet a muppet who is overly paranoid when I come to UK.
  4. DHL them to a registered firearms dealer , perhaps ? Assuming you have a UK permit and gun cupboard at your UK address you can then pick them up from him ? Just a thought
  5. Norfolk Lines Dunquerque to Dover will allow firearms. You will need a valid Country License (e.g a UK FAC) and a European Firearms Pass to carry them across France. Then you will need an FAC to land them at Dover.

BTW, I looked at shipping to the UK and the cost was prohibitive, unless someone knows of a good deal?
  6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I looked into it last year - very expensive and only a couple of options.
    EFP to have them in transit in France is correct, but you could bring them to UK on the EFP with the addition of a UK Visitors Permit which is valid for a year - this would in theory give you some time to sort out an FAC which I guess would be hard to get before arriving?

The BASC firearms regulations dept would be able to advise precisely on import rules and procedures.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

A visitors permit will require a UK sponsor. Not difficult unless you have pissed everyone off where you are moving to!
  8. Thanks to everyone who responded, the ferry will probably be my choice, a couple of companies will take them as long as I declare when booking and get written permission.
    My problem is now a sponsor near home for my visitors pass, I don't really know anyone. I have found a training provider who will do it providing I sign up for DSC and some stalking. Thats my only option at the moment.

Thanks again
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Let me know if you need a sponsor, I'm sure one can be arranged!
  10. You still never contacted me, are you aware of the new BFG requirements?If not I suggest you quickly PM me.

11. 2nd PM sent today, I will give you a call monday.
  12. Dunno what happened there, 2 pm's arrived today. Pm responded to, assume you are the Dulmen man!! Have sent contact details as to how to get me.