Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Returning to the UK - car insurance no claims discount...

Mr Happy

LE
Afternoon all,
Family Happy are returning to blighty, as such, we're going to need car insurance. Has anyone any insight as to successfully bringing a no-claims history from abroad (or re-using their no-claims history from the UK before they went overseas)? Have been overseas for 20 years so any guidance will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Gaz

Rab_C

LE
Afternoon all,
Family Happy are returning to blighty, as such, we're going to need car insurance. Has anyone any insight as to successfully bringing a no-claims history from abroad (or re-using their no-claims history from the UK before they went overseas)? Have been overseas for 20 years so any guidance will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Gaz
I was in the same situation and had no luck. I was told by a couple of insurers that had my policy abroad been with a big multinational then they may have been able to help.

I'd agree with @Rab_C
When I returned from Europe after 8 years in Europe, they palmed me off because I'd been driving on the wrong side of the road.
When I returned from the US after 2 years, they just laughed at the very idea.
I would say that after 20 years abroad, your chances are very. very slim.

It‘s all a marketing scam anyway. There’s no such thing as a “no claims discount” in the US. They just rate your premiums according to your driving history, age/risk profile and vehicle. One insurer even provides “accident forgiveness”, one at-fault accident doesn’t ding your premiums.

When I moved here, my driving history counted for shit. I had to do the laughably simple test, and my driving record was as though I was 18 again, albeit I was in my 30s. I imagine it’s much the same going the other way.

Driving/accident/speeding records don’t transfer internationally very well at all. Credit histories in the same boat too. It’ll be like starting from scratch again, but many years older.

When I returned from Cyprus and, later, from Belize, all the UK insurance company wanted was a copy of the policies I had in those countries and gave me the full NCD.

Mind you, in total, I'd only been out of the UK for 5 years. I think they just wanted proof I had continuous insurance.

4(T)

LE
I'm pretty sure UK insurers will give NCD just to land a policy sale - they don't seem too stringent about it. I've always had max UK NCD even with long periods abroad.

If you go via a human broker rather than online, its probably worth just claiming max NCD and then supplying the names of the foreign insurers. I'm sure the UK insurer would never spare the resource to follow up with johnny foreigner.

Latest Threads