Returning to Phase 1 after Injury

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Tomodachi, Jan 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've a query i was hoping you might be able to help me with.

A week after completing weekend 3 of phase 1 training in december i managed to injure myself in such a way that i am unlikely to be able to do any more training for three months (bone fracture).

My PSAO advised that i would have to repeat phase 1 from the beginning. Having looked at the ARRSEpedia entry for TA training it seems to suggest otherwise:

"d. If any SuT completes weekend 3 or beyond and returns to Ph1 Training after an 8 week period, he/she must re-attend the last completed weekend of training. "

Ideally i would like a pointer to something that i can take to my PSAO other than "Well, ARRSE says..."

2. Tomadachi mate, I am about to complete weekend 4 in Edinburgh. They are pretty explicit about missing a weekend between 1 and 4 which is you start the whole thing again. They mentioned a few instances where it may be at their discretion to allow you to continue from where you left off. 3 months off with an injury would be, from what I gather, back squad to weekend 1. We have 3 guys on our course this weekend in a position similar to you with one of them having been back squaded twice! Poor fcuker.
    It is a ball ache but use the time to get uber fit, practice your SAA and become really ahead of the game so you can help out yer oppo's who are shiny new. Course, the more expereinced guy's on here may have some sound advice to get you back on track but everything is at the discretion of the Training Wing not your unit. Good luck and hope all goes well.

3. Follow your PSAOs advice, get totally healed then start again, meanwhile if you can attend your unit and refresh your SAA regularly.

Tug who told you about redoing the whole 1-4 if you miss one? the OC, WSM or one of your two instructors? because it's news to me.

4. I wouldn't tell a PSAO ( do you mean PSI? ) that ARRSE says XYZ.

Just do what the RTC say - suck it up; ARRSE has its uses but should not be taken as Gospel.

5. I got this from my unit and several of the instructors. However, if I have confused the issue with failing one of the weekends or indeed am just speaking out of me hole I do apologise.

6. Its not down to your unit, its down to the RTC.

Give them a call.

7. Out of curiosity the instructors at the RTC?

8. The arrsepedia entry is direct from the CMS(TA)09 ispec as at amdt 3. Paragraph 33 of the introduction if your PSAO wants to look it up.

33. If an SuT is unable to succesfully complete or fails to attend any weekend of training, the
    following guidance is to be applied:
    a. Regardless of the stage of training, if the SuT does not return to Ph1 Training within a
    6 month period, he/she is to restart from weekend 1.
    b. If an SuT falls out of Ph1 Training before completion of weekend 3, he/she is to restart
    from weekend 1.
    c. If any SuT completes weekend 3 or beyond and returns to Ph1 Training within 8 weeks,
    he/she may continue training at the next sequential weekend of training.
    i.e. If the SuT completes weekend 3 and returns within an 8 week period, they can
    recommence training at weekend 4 etc..
    d. If any SuT completes weekend 3 or beyond and returns to Ph1 Training after an 8 week
    period, he/she must re-attend the last completed weekend of training.
    i.e. If the SuT completes weekend 4 and returns to training after an 8 week period,
    they can recommence training, however, must re-attend weekend 4 before continuing to
    weekend 5.

9. I'm so glad that someone knows.....

10. Boxy,
    have I screwed up the info given? I rather think I have and in fine style it seems. Sorry. The instructors were two not several and on asking what would happen if we couldnt turn up for whatever reason we got told it was back to week 1. Can I PM you the names to satisfy your curiosity cause I am realy keen that my mouth dont get me screwed up too quickly in my army career!?

11. Don't worry too much about that, as you can see it's quite complex and often loosely interpreted. I have replied...relax

12. All recevied and understood. A good lesson here for all new recriuts like me. Leave it to those who know!