Returning to Civvy life

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by beetroot4000, Jan 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I tried the search function, so I hope this hasn't been asked.

How do all you ex squadies find returning to civvy life?
    Do you find it hard to adjust back to the life style, and is it hard to find a job?

It seems as though if you have a trade (eg Mechanic, Engineer, Pilot) it shouldn't be to hard to find a job.
    But what about the likes of Infantry or Artillery, how hard is it for you to find a decent job, as you don't exactly gain any qualifications?

2. Would you recommend journalism as a career path for "ex squadies" returning to civvy life? What qualifications did you need? How long have you been working as a journalist and how did you get started? Do you enjoy it? What's the pay like?

• Like Like x 4
  3. It's imperative that you set your stall up early. In essence you get a year post sign off to start making waves towards your civilian employment, the funds are there and the support is available.

I never buy it when some ex squaddies pipe up about how difficult it is settling into civvy street, bollocks, it's a piece of piss, the problem is the individuals attitude and inability, or not having the desire to adjust accordingly.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Spot on.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Refraining from using forces terminology takes some getting used to at first. It produces a lot of blank civvie faces.

And speaking of applying Military skills to the civvie field doesn't matter too much. A lot of what the services do doesn't relate to civilian life, and I bet if you did a poll of what people did when in, even with an artisan trade, they don't do it now anyway.

6. I found the integration back to civvy life not too bad, but I was only in for about 8 years. I also went into the CP industry, so found myself working with a lot of ex forces, so the comraderie was still there etc...

I think Hector Chavez has hit the nail on the head when he says it's all about the attitude of the individual. I know plenty of blokes who have got out of the forces and made a good life for themelves. The trick is to prepare and get as much out of the forces as you can prior to getting out. Once you've walked out of the gates for the last time, there's not really any way of going back for help.

7. I had no difficulty in becoming a civvy after 18 years in the army. i am now a successful tattoo artist.
    I am even a single father with one teenage daughter......... thats a different story though.

8. Transition was easy. Skills out my arse. More money than I know what to do with.

9. If I was you, I'd wait until you actually get into the UK, then actually pass the documentation, fitness and medical, then actually get through basic training, then actually commit yourself whole heartedly to your chosen cap badge.

Then perhaps you'll get a better response from me.

So far, you (two posts) show a total lack of conviction towards serving in HM Forces, let alone leaving them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. You are aware that even for the likes of the Infantry they can gain proper qualifications like Degree's whilst serving,

Along with driving, IT, and other qualifications in preparation for returning to civvy life, it's all down to the individual 'Not' the area/branch of the Army.

11. I have to agree on all counts, I found it an absolute doddle and I joined up straight from school and was would generally be described as an 'institutionalised' squaddie.

12. Yeah. Doddle. I woke up one morning and realised there was no uniform hanging up, no MOD form 90 in the wallet and no need to get up. I was finally a civvy again.

It helped that I had been running my own small business on the side for two years before endex, of course.

And just like the army, there are good times and rough times. I almost said that one great thing is that there is never anyone shooting at me in civvy st, but that wouldn't be true as I have been the subject of two failed ambushes since I left the army, one in Somalia and one in Mozambique. Not keen for it to occur again though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I have a feeling, and it is only a feeling, that the majority of those who struggle on the outside (aside from those who left having sustained injuries) are those who struggled whilst in service life. They would probably have struggled had they not chosen to join in the first place.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Finding a job is the easy part, getting used to not stealing and stashing toilet paper on a Monday takes years....

• Like Like x 4
  15. OP, you have two posts. One post trying to get in and your second trying to get out.

Best stay at home big lad.

• Like Like x 2