Returning from Injury

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Notos, Mar 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all.
    I'm after some help putting together a sensible and progressive routine to get me back to an acceptable level.
    I've been suffering from a relatively serious back injury for the past two years, and have recently been given the okay to crack on with more than just swimming and light jogging.
    I used to be able to complete a PFT in 9.20 and hold my own in the CFT, but as a result, struggling to get my press ups, sit up and run/tabs at even a basic level.
    I have asked the PTI for help, but the problem is that i need it to start easy and build up, and pay special attention to back/core with out putting too much stress on it, something he's not entirely accustomed or capable of doing. Ideally i need to be back in shape ASAP, and shift a few excess pounds at the same time. I have tried the search function, but would appreciate any advice related to back injuries etc.
    Many thanks in advance
  2. My *personal* advice (not that I'm medically qualified in ANY way, shape or form) would be to train using very very low impact, i.e cross training, exercise bike, recumbent bike, and potentially some float swimming (i.e holding the float out in front of you, trying to use the slight twisting motion of your swimming to strengthen your core muscles and try and build them up for future, more intensive, use).

Above all, don't train too far out (if at all) of your comfort zone, there's no sense in taking risks with a back injury. Build yourself back up.

Best of luck

3. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Do they not still have Sport and Training Injury Centres (STIC)
  4. im in exactly this position after spending much of the last 2 years recovering from an upper spinal injury.

ive a medical board next week where i'm expecting to get the nod to begin to build up my PT but as has been said you've got to be careful as you develop your back strength. you dont want to repeat the two years all over again.
  5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Having suffered for years with back trouble. I was told to remember to work on your stomach muscles as well as they are linked to the spine.

Please don't tell anyone I gave some usefull advice.
  6. Pilates...find a class or an instructor who will work with you one to one....excellent at building core strength and especially good for back issues