Returning Forces Parade, Winchester 23rd June

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by seaweed, Jun 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

2. As an addition to this: The 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards, who were the Babaji BG on Op Herrick 11, will march from Wellington Barracks to Horse Guards Parade, via Birdcage Walk, at 1030hrs on Thu 24 Jun 10. A wreath will be laid at The Guards Memorial on Horse Guards Parade to commemorate the 5 members of the Battalion who fell during the tour.
    Please come along and support the lads (along with the Japanese and American tourists).

3. All readers invited

4. TBH I can't see the point of homecoming parades for a six month operational tour. Tried like fuck to get out of 3 PARA's and succeeded. Each to their own though I suppose.

5. It's all about PR. The Army is more popular than it's been for a long time, and it's largely down to homecoming parades. It's a good thing, because it means charities like H4H are well funded, and cuts are harder to make.

6. Just proves what the gobment really think of soldiers when many have to rely on H4H.

7. It's a joke. There's pathetically little in the way of 'official' support for ex-squaddies - many of whom have served since they were kids and have no idea how to adapt to 'real life' when they leave. Stabs have even less support.

Would be great to see a large scale veteran's scheme to *fully* support those who need it - but it will never happen, particularly at the moment.

8. H4H is a government cop-out. I think it's a great charity, but it's just that CHARITY! All the blokes wanted was a £5million squid swimming pool, instead now having to rely on charity.

9. And just think on.

The Big Society means more relience on the voluntary sector so that government services can be cut. This means looking after ex/servicemen as much as public libraries.