Returning a car back to the road. What about the environment?

Reading the original post, I can't help but think of the words "mountain" & "molehill".

Arrange insurance, tax the vehicle (the 1st of the month gives best value), pre-book your MOT test and hope you've prepared the vehicle adequately. The problem with the MOT is whether you're legal to drive the old banger away from the MOT test location, should it fail the test. Good luck.

Pisseduppardre

Old-Salt
As others have said this can be a bit of a sticky one. In a previous life I ran an MOT station and garage. I had inherited a number of hippy/New Age Traveller customers from the previous owner (a hippy) who were a colossal pain in the bum. One trick that was often used by various crusty types was to book an MOT test at a garage somewhere near where they wanted to park up for a few months, often a long way from where they were currently parked up. Come for the test, invariably fail and then clear off into nearby woods owned or occupied by other crusty-types until it was time to move again and the process would be repeated. Most drove death trap, home made camper vans.

Get yourself a real classic car and you will no longer need an MOT or to pay road tax.

Historic (classic) vehicles: MOT and vehicle tax
Yerse. And the insurance is cheap as well. (But you don't get a N/C bonus!)
I've done that for years. Recently got a new car, rang up for insurance HOW feckin' much? Had to start off all over again with the N/C bit. Still, I've saved some serious moolah over the years.

Arrange insurance, tax the vehicle (the 1st of the month gives best value), pre-book your MOT test and hope you've prepared the vehicle adequately. The problem with the MOT is whether you're legal to drive the old banger away from the MOT test location, should it fail the test. Good luck.
Best of luck taxing the vehicle with no MoT cert.

Come here and drive one of these.............because apparently we don't have a global warming, or energy crisis in America.

Funnily enough, I'm going through exactly the same process.
Had this thing 16 years, two years ago put it in lock up to Rust in Peace when I hit 65. Not sure what to do with it back then but as a daily for 13 of these years, I wore it smooth.

2 months ago, when an historic company pension paid out, did the sums on a new Mx5 Mk4 ND. Bloody hell, dial in depreciation, 3 years payments + "balloon" end £ hit, or loss of lump-sum investment income to purchase, it got a bit scary.
Plus the fact by a few accounts...they are shitty build quality now. Might as well fill a oil can in the garden, chuck 24k into it, and set fire as far as my opinion went.
So, I dug it out, blew the tyres up, chucked in a battery, and booked it for a full resto chassis & body restoration all for the same as 18 months payments on a new one.
Should be good for another 26 years.....

So, next week....in order of what is apparently needed, MOT, Insurance-Tax.

I'll be replacing my filthy turbo diesel pick-up truck next year, with another filthy, polluting, turbo diesel pick-up truck.
Why?
Because I wants to & FTW as the Chinese are still building a new, coal fired power station every week.
Humanity as we know it is doomed due to far bigger stuff so fukkit.

Christ, what did the Army do to you radar techs, you sound just like @ExREME..TECH. Just leave it rotting on the drive and get a Tesla. You know it makes sense.
People like you will be targeted by the eco cnuts in the future. You might even wake up one morning to see that some fat cow has glued her tits to it and you won't be able to go to Sainsbury's.
Think about it!
I drive a 54 ford focus by the way.

He doesn't like having free weekend or hair....

TamH70

MIA
Funnily enough, I'm going through exactly the same process.
Had this thing 16 years, two years ago put it in lock up to Rust in Peace when I hit 65. Not sure what to do with it back then but as a daily for 13 of these years, I wore it smooth.

2 months ago, when an historic company pension paid out, did the sums on a new Mx5 Mk4 ND. Bloody hell, dial in depreciation, 3 years payments + "balloon" end £ hit, or loss of lump-sum investment income to purchase, it got a bit scary.
Plus the fact by a few accounts...they are shitty build quality now. Might as well fill a oil can in the garden, chuck 24k into it, and set fire as far as my opinion went.
So, I dug it out, blew the tyres up, chucked in a battery, and booked it for a full resto chassis & body restoration all for the same as 18 months payments on a new one.
Should be good for another 26 years.....

So, next week....in order of what is apparently needed, MOT, Insurance-Tax.
Can you sort me out with a short back and sides, No 3 on the top, cheers.

Update, still in garage for another week, I have paid the sum accrued.
But still no tax or insurance. Tried again today, so no, If your car is not tested you cannot tax it.
I know it has not passed test as it is still being sorted.
Therefore if it is insured or not the ANPR ******* will be on you like a flash.
Why pay insurance if it is in a garage and immobile?
Just pissing money away for no reason.

Update, still in garage for another week, I have paid the sum accrued.
But still no tax or insurance. Tried again today, so no, If your car is not tested you cannot tax it.
I know it has not passed test as it is still being sorted.
Therefore if it is insured or not the ANPR ******* will be on you like a flash.
Why pay insurance if it is in a garage and immobile?
Just pissing money away for no reason.

If its on the road, it must be insured. No two ways about it
There are circumstances where no tax or MOT are acceptable (going to or from test)

As to the ANPR, don't believe everything the telly tells you it isn't as good or as clever as you would be led to believe.

B42T

LE
Got pulled in Kent taking my motor to the nearest MOT garage to my address.
Copper asks: 'why it's not MOT'd'
Me: 'I'm driving there now.' Show's print out of booking of MOT and a similar print out to: Q360: My MOT has expired can I drive my car to the garage for the MOT test?
Copper: 'Where were you parked: Dover!?!'
Me: 'It Nah, Hohne; Germany.'
Copper: 'Off you ****!' :)

Except that is bollox, your car would have to be BFG'D
Why let the truth get in the way of a cack story.

@Rapierman. My Idea was offered at #20, repeated here: <<...Idea - Not been mentioned but why not arrange to tow it to the MOT centre? (having arranged insurance beforehand as per #6).
ANPR en route? No problem providing original No. Plates obscured/removed and legit tow board shows Reg No of your towing vehicle)...>>

Surely at least worth considering - if not, why not, pray tell??

Jesus, is this thread still running?

1556442525828.png

30 seconds to google Car Trailer Hire.
You're welcome.

All is sorted, all I was highlighting is the legalities of sorting a vehicle out and how it is impossible to have the magic three documents valid at the same time if you have SORN'd a motor. Unless you live in an MOT testing station that is.

Talking of "What about the environment" * MOT's....how crazy is this?

SWMBO's 2002 Mx5 Sport.
1840cc Twin Cam VVT, CAT in place as required. Always passes NOX test...as I pop in a bottle of Forte fuel cleaner the night before and and give it a bloody good ragging that night.

My '93 JDM Eunos Roadster
Same Hiroshima factory ( they always have been)
1840cc (same basic "bottom end" but with older school twin-cam HLA cylinder head, CAT delete, and "entitled" to be NOX tested under different criteria.

Compare the two, and my mill is legally filthy against the 2002 car, yet cheaper to tax!
So saying, any pre 73 classic with no tax liablity would be even "dirtier".
Madness.

Latest Threads