Returning a car back to the road. What about the environment?

Right,
I am currently trying to sort out my SAAB convertible back to the road. Simple yes?
Oh ******* no.

1. Not insured? Yes as I am not paying for anything I am not doing. Stored on my land and not the highway.
2. Not taxed- Currently SORN
3. No MOT.

Now it's in my mates (pukka) garage being repaired to the tune of too ******* much. Ready any day.
But I am not allowed to tax it or insure it until it has it's MOT?
You know when for once in your life you are trying your hardest to do shit by the book to make the wife happy etc???

How was I meant to get it to the garage in the first place? (a mile away) heli drop? FFS.

Could you ring the Cunstabulary and say "look mate, I am driving this motor that has been stood for a few year up to get fixed and tested"?

It almost seems like they want us to drive lecky stuff, new and spangled, all emissionney this and that and farts daisies.
Can I make it simple.
Ladies, Gentlemen, Members, Lord's and Ladies of this country.

The options are thus.

1. Lecky cars, expensive, fast as ****....for about fifty miles. Then limp about for a bit.

2. Hybrid cars, no real difference to normal engines in performance or economy (a bit, but showing an effort and getting subsidies)

3. Diesel, Fantastic, so good we will tax it to shit like we do anything else that is good.

4. Petrol/Gasoline, Yep same as the above, works just fine ta.

5. Hydrogen, now I am surprised government think tanks have not promoted hydrogen more????? **** me they blow everything else up. Why not do it to the consumer at base level.

Any thoughts?

I just think the cards are stacked against anyone wanting to run a classic car nowadays.
Also I am pretty sure that Mr Otto was on to something and I do not think it was anything to the rise and fall of oil rich economies and false energy crises??

DarkBrig

War Hero
I'm pretty sure if you inform the police ask their advice and follow it you will be ok, driving down the road playing some 80's rock will probably get you pulled.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Right,
I am currently trying to sort out my SAAB convertible back to the road. Simple yes?
Oh ******* no.

1. Not insured? Yes as I am not paying for anything I am not doing. Stored on my land and not the highway.
3. No MOT.

Now it's in my mates (pukka) garage being repaired to the tune of too ******* much. Ready any day.
You know when for once in your life you are trying your hardest to do shit by the book to make the wife happy etc???

How was I meant to get it to the garage in the first place? (a mile away) heli drop? FFS.

Could you ring the Cunstabulary and say "look mate, I am driving this motor that has been stood for a few year up to get fixed and tested"?

It almost seems like they want us to drive lecky stuff, new and spangled, all emissionney this and that and farts daisies.
Can I make it simple.

The options are thus.

1. Lecky cars, expensive, fast as ****....for about fifty miles. Then limp about for a bit.

2. Hybrid cars, no real difference to normal engines in performance or economy (a bit, but showing an effort and getting subsidies)

3. Diesel, Fantastic, so good we will tax it to shit like we do anything else that is good.

5. Hydrogen, now I am surprised government think tanks have not promoted hydrogen more????? **** me they blow everything else up. Why not do it to the consumer at base level.

Any thoughts?

I just think the cards are stacked against anyone wanting to run a classic car nowadays.
Also I am pretty sure that Mr Otto was on to something and I do not think it was anything to the rise and fall of oil rich economies and false energy crises??
One of these should keep everyone happy:-
1556330659153.png

Right,

Insure it - you dont need an MOT for that - although they will argue no MOT invalidates it - but IIRC you are still covered 3rd Party.

As for the MOT itself - you can drive directly to the test centre - that's directly - no stopping for fags fuel or fucks etc (red lights being an obvious exception**)

There isn't a limit on distance (So driving from Portsmouth to Bristol is legal but kicking the arse out of it)

**Stand fast those on the reaperbahn

Right,
Oh ******* no.

3. No MOT.

Can I make it simple.

The options are thus.

Any thoughts?

Christ, what did the Army do to you radar techs, you sound just like @ExREME..TECH. Just leave it rotting on the drive and get a Tesla. You know it makes sense.
People like you will be targeted by the eco cnuts in the future. You might even wake up one morning to see that some fat cow has glued her tits to it and you won't be able to go to Sainsbury's.
Think about it!
I drive a 54 ford focus by the way.

You can insure without MOT
If its driven on the road it must be insured, no if's, no but's. You can get 24 hour insurance cover id you aren't confident it will pass.

It is perfectly legitimate to drive to the MOT without a valid MOT as long as it is booked in (and its in the MOT centre's diary. Also valid if going for pre-booked work in preparation for an MOT.

You cannot tax it until its MOT'd, going to a pre-booked MOT with no tax is fine.

It is only specified that the MOT must be a reasonable distance from you. No distance actually specified.

It’s a convertible- ie a hairdressers car. Do all the legal necessaries and then set fire to it and claim on the insurance, then sue your mate for dodgy workmanship during getting it ready for its mot

ugly

LE
You can insure without MOT
If its driven on the road it must be insured, no if's, no but's. You can get 24 hour insurance cover id you aren't confident it will pass.

It is perfectly legitimate to drive to the MOT without a valid MOT as long as it is booked in (and its in the MOT centre's diary. Also valid if going for pre-booked work in preparation for an MOT.

You cannot tax it until its MOT'd, going to a pre-booked MOT with no tax is fine.

It is only specified that the MOT must be a reasonable distance from you. No distance actually specified.

100% correct, been there and done that with an old Passat that was a gift.
The beauty of older cars isn't the cheapness but the fact that they have already been built, no harmful battery lithium mining to be shipped globally, converted into batteries and shipped to the car plant then disposed of after 10 years. The energy to build your old car is gone, paid for. The energy to build your new car will cause fluffy unicorns to die.
Your call but the more old cars running means car makers will have to sit up and pay attention, or not!

Any thoughts?

The environmental impact of a vehicle is mostly in it's construction, particularly if it's a hybrid model packed with rare earth magnets and battery components. Your car's eco-footprint is already sunk and the fuel it burns will never equal even a fraction of the additional impact of a new build. Fix the old motor and keep it serviced and tuned....

If only someone would invent something that can carry cars

1556349115595.jpeg

The beauty of older cars isn't the cheapness but the fact that they have already been built, no harmful battery lithium mining to be shipped globally, converted into batteries and shipped to the car plant then disposed of after 10 years. The energy to build your old car is gone, paid for. The energy to build your new car will cause fluffy unicorns to die.
Your call but the more old cars running means car makers will have to sit up and pay attention, or not!

You will struggle to find evidence of the carbon footprint of building a new hybrid car.
Nobody wants you to know that the carbon footprint of a hybrid is far, far greater than the carbon footprint of all the fuel my V6 diesel Jaguar will ever burn (and I do mean ever)

Truxx

LE
You will struggle to find evidence of the carbon footprint of building a new hybrid car.
Nobody wants you to know that the carbon footprint of a hybrid is far, far greater than the carbon footprint of all the fuel my V6 diesel Jaguar will ever burn (and I do mean ever)
Plus wtf is a "self charging hybrid"?

Answer its a petrol car with a hugely inefficient, heavy, electrical drive system (instead of simple spinny things)

Your SAAB has paid its dues environmentally a hundred times over as @jagman2 quite rightly says.

What the Clever People have not told anyone is that to produce fewer emissions then the best way is to move components round the globe less and provide an infrastructure and community environment that allows motorists to drive fewer miles.

Or at an individual basis drive fewer miles then bore everyone in the pub how you have reduced your environmental impact by 30% (by driving 30% fewer miles)

Last edited:

Blogg

LE
If only someone would invent something that can carry cars

View attachment 389733

It's a real swine especially as MoT data is shared so that ANPR cameras can pick up such evil doers and send out a £100 fine.

No reminder letters or emails on expired MoT of course.....

Having trade plates doesn't help either.

So unless going directly to MoT test station the driver (not registered owner) is liable although the owner can get stuffed as well for "permitting use".

Bottom feeding car dealers will happily sell cars without an MoT ( oh yeah must have forgot mate....) because it's not illegal of itself, only the selling of an "unroadworthy" vehicle.

So trailer it is. Except my garage of choice won't do that themselves because it is a right PITA in terms of cost and use of resources so refer customers to people who will..

A local-ish pick up & drop off not hugely expensive.

Blogg

LE

https://amp.dw.com/en/ifo-study-cas...ehicles-climate-saving-credentials/a-48460328

There is no doubt: the "EV's are the Future" myth is vastly dangerous eco-political bullshit from ignorant politicians off the back of even greater wibble.

That aside, the ability to charge large numbers of such vehicles via domestic fast chargers in populated areas could easily soon go beyond the capacity of local electricity distribution substations, never mind the generation or grid capacity.

Truth is eco-Marxists want to restrict the ownership of private vehicles whilst the naive eco woke generation get warm cuddly feelings and virtue signal away.

Anyway my money is on hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. Big money been going into that for some time now with relatively little noise as car makers churn out dead end EV cars in order to tick those eco political boxes.

the naive eco woke generation get warm cuddly feelings and virtue signal away.
As I've written before, a lot of the appeal to the bunny huggers is the 'look at me!' factor of the fugliness of the Prius and various Honda models - CR-Z, Insight etc.
And the cnuts have probably got 5 kids, and a Harley for the weekend.

CC_TA

LE
Insure it - you dont need an MOT for that - although they will argue no MOT invalidates it - but IIRC you are still covered 3rd Party.

As for the MOT itself - you can drive directly to the test centre - that's directly - no stopping for fags fuel or fucks etc (red lights being an obvious exception**)

There isn't a limit on distance (So driving from Portsmouth to Bristol is legal but kicking the arse out of it)

**Stand fast those on the reaperbahn

Got pulled in Kent taking my motor to the nearest MOT garage to my address.
Copper asks: 'why it's not MOT'd'
Me: 'I'm driving there now.' Show's print out of booking of MOT and a similar print out to: Q360: My MOT has expired can I drive my car to the garage for the MOT test?
Copper: 'Where were you parked: Dover!?!'
Me: 'It Nah, Hohne; Germany.'
Copper: 'Off you ****!' :)

Blogg

LE
As I've written before, a lot of the appeal to the bunny huggers is the 'look at me!' factor of the fugliness of the Prius and various Honda models - CR-Z, Insight etc.
And the cnuts have probably got 5 kids, and a Harley for the weekend.

Tell me about it.

Friend of Mrs B and her husband are both eco lefties. And mind bogglingly ignorant.

They have a Nissan Leaf thing and he is not merely an EV bore but a sponging one. Last time they pitched up first thing was him producing a vast extension lead and demanding to plug in.

She has a "normal" Smart car.

Oh but taking the dogs out, moving bulky stuff, long distanced or going to their holiday home in France?

Clapped out Transit van

Then there are the Heat Pumps. And the PV and hot water panels on roof. And the contract with the "green" energy company All part of reducing their CO2 footprint.

And the vastly inefficient open fire and crappy old woodburner? Not worried about those? Oh no: "sustainable" and look I recovered all the timbers from the old roof when we had the dormer and extension done!

So you are burning old, treated roof timbers? " Yes, it's a really eco friendly process...."

Cretin

Idea - Not been mentioned but why not arrange to tow it to the MOT centre? (having arranged insurance beforehand as per #6).

ANPR en route? No problem providing original No. Plates obscured/removed and legit tow board shows Reg No of your towing vehicle).

(BTW my recent inquiries indicated "£600-ish"plus Vat would be the price to move a LWB minibus from Cornwall to Portsmouth on a nationwide Recovery outfit's transporter. Didn't use them, instead the kindly Cornish seller accepted £500 to remove the Engine and brought it here on his own trailer; he even brought along half a dozen genuine-that-day-fresh Cornish Pasties as part of the bargain.)

Latest Threads