Returning 14--18 Medal.

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by harry7134, Dec 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    Not really sure if this is the right forum, but if not could a mod please select correct one.

My daughter in law has given me a WW1 campaign medal that her mother found on a street in Bangor, NI, some forty years ago, and was wondering if there is any way it could be returned to the original recipient`s relatives, or even if there is a chance of contacting them.
    The medal is in a pretty poor state with the attachment bracket missing.However the name is clear, but is a bit strange in that it refers to a "Corporal" in the RA, where I thought the rank was "Bombardier".
    The name on the circumference reads -- "22750 CPL P. HURLEY. R. A."

I know there were millions of these medals issued, but I would like to return it to its rightful place if possible, so any help or advice will be gratefully received.

2. msr

msr LE

Royal Artillery Corporals are called Bombardiers, although until 1920 the Royal Artillery had Corporals and Bombardier was a lower rank. The rank of Second Corporal existed in the Royal Engineers and Army Ordnance Corps until 1920.

3. Thanks for that information,msr, but I`m not quite old enough to remember the change-over :D
  4. Go onto British Medal Forum, there is a NI Collector/Researcher on there who might be able to help

5. .......or this chap might help. Ashley Tinson is the medal consultant for RBL.
  6. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.

I will be following up the suggestions tomorrow.

Harry :eek: