Return to Victorian working standards?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dpcw, Nov 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Sick Cardiff council workers face no pay for three days Now reading this article is seems if the powers that be are starting to ignore Statitory Sick Pay, perhaps someone can clarify as I thought that was embodied in Law. Also, no pay rise for three years seems very harsh as well. Perhaps this is a test by the Accountants who seem to run this country as to how far they can push it. Now I know some people take the mick out of sick days, classing it as annual leave, but there will be people who are ill coming to work and, spreading their germs, spending all day on the pan with the squits and getting paid, or potentially not going to the Docs with a life threating condition as they cannot afford to lose the money. Seems like a return to Victorian working standards to me so 100 odd years of Unions has been a failure and am almost expecting workhouses to be opening soon.

I am just a little concerned that this is the thin end of the wedge.

Just like to add I am not, nor have ever been "Left Wing", but if this is worrying me then I am getting worried about what I have missed happening elsewhere.
  2. I think they've got it wrong on sick pay. I've always found that positive encouragement works better. It's also often a good thing to send sick people home as they don't spread infections around the office.

That said, it's hardly a return to Victorian working standards is it? Why are you 'worried' or 'concerned'?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. You're a worrywart. Also, it's spelled statutory.
  4. I know my spelling sucks :) I am worried as it came to my mind when reading the article about something I watched on TV years ago where a local football team was invited to play in Italy as the Italians thought they were Man Utd instead of the Man Coal mine team utd, their boss said they are allowed to take the time off but their was no gaurantee their jobs would be their when thay got back.

Just think that there is a slow erosion of workers rights in the name of saving money, as I said thin end of the wedge.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Eeeh, I'm off down 't pit tomorrow and 't wife is at Mill.

We're saving oop to have Turnip for Christmas Dinner!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Not automatically a bad thing. There does need to be some balance between worker's rights and the companies they work for making a profit.
  7. Personally, I go to work when I'm sick. Sick days are for long weekends on the piss.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. It does seem that the occurance of 'Mental Health Days' rises when the sun begins to shine a bit more and there's ale to be drunk. Shocking, eh? :wink:
  9. Much rather see a return to Victorian ideas on society, nationhood & international policy......
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Well we got ourselves involved in a disasterours war in afgahistan so thats a start:)
    • Like Like x 9
  11. A lot of private firms are the same: new joiners at Tesco, first three days are unpaid. It was only a matter of time before civil servants went same way.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Could have something to do with cardiff council workers seeing sick days as part of their holiday entitlement?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. All that will happen now is that people start going off for longer periods of time i.e. four days plus...
  14. Thought SSP was paid after three days of absence?

After googling (Google a very useful tool!) it appears that I was wrong, its four days.

So what I suspect this is, is the Council works have special terms that give them paid sick days, and the council has spotted a way to save some cash, plus as others have said people were probably using it as holiday entitlement.

Ok having now read the article it does in deed seem to be the case, with the sick pay benefit costing 15m a year. Oddly nowherei nthe article dose it mention "Statutory Sick Pay" either...