Return of the Vulcan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Chalky, Aug 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ta-daaaa!

Never though I'd see the day.

Good job, chaps.

2. I had a look inside the cockpit of a vulcan at Bournemouth Airport Museum. Impressive for its time....

3. I thought from the title of the thread that the RAF were taking it back in to service!!!

4. No, that's in next years spending review for when they cancel JSF or whatever the hell we call it.

5. Hmmm A squadron on Vulcans armed with Storm Shadows and JADAMS would be pretty useful. If the USAF can do CAS with a 50 year old airframe in the B-52, I'm sure the old tin triangle could still cut the mustard.

6. Fantastic plane.... remember them flying regularly over our house on training runs before they paid a rather grand, indeed awe inspiring, non stop visit to Stanley...(without the usual couretsy of landing for a G & T) :)

7. Chalky wrote
    I heard that was getting replaced by Spitfires retrofitted with sparklers on the tail.

8. I'm sure they'll be a limit on how often said sparklers can be used though, just to keep the training budget in line.

9. I've heard it was actually quite stealthy, by pure chance - anyone know if it's true?

10. msr

msr LE

Which missed did it not?

msr

11. I think one bomb landed about a third of the way down the main runway - didn't put it out of action though. Impressive mission logistically, good PR, operationally ineffective...

12. I grew up with them at RAF Scampton. I got to climb all over them. When my old man got hacked off it was "Go and play on the runway".

13. As I understood it the mission did all that it set out to do:

http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/history/0,,1779024,00.html

(I have read the book by the way, not just the review).

As ever, happy to be proved wrong.

14. Can't we use it for........something? Just for being a damn sexy beast we must be able to find it a purpose!

15. Go here for a picture of the 'lone bomb on the runway':

Black Buck

The text confirms that the raids didn't close the runway, although it did make the Argies withdraw their jets.

(edit: the book you mention is fun, but anything but impartial...Bravo 20 for an earlier generation...)