Return / Enter key AWOL

When writing a post in Arrse I have no return key or enter key. The only way I can start a new line is by using the key combination [alt]013.

It only happens in Arrse and only in IE10. In Chrome the problem doesn't exist which suggests that IE10 is the guilty party. Any one else had the problem or have any clues.

My knowledge of things IE is second only to my knowledge of large hadron collider software. I didn't even know that IE10 had been installed on my trusty Win 7 laptop until just now.... I thought I had IE9. Doh!

When writing a post in Arrse I have no return key or enter key. The only way I can start a new line is by using the key combination [alt]013.

It only happens in Arrse and only in IE10. In Chrome the problem doesn't exist which suggests that IE10 is the guilty party. Any one else had the problem or have any clues.

My knowledge of things IE is second only to my knowledge of large hadron collider software. I didn't even know that IE10 had been installed on my trusty Win 7 laptop until just now.... I thought I had IE9. Doh!
Check your keyboard is UK in regional options. I can't recall enter/return going missing before, but it's the first place I'd check for problems like this

Its IE, there is a thread about it on here.
That was a bit of a pointer in the right direction. Didn't find the thread but a wider www search gives it as a common and well known problem with IE10 and the editor(s) found in forum software. TinyMCE for example.

I have simply removed the IE10 update and the keys work as they should. No doubt Win-Update will put IE10 back a the first opportunity.

You have to change your arrse settings. Set Message Editor Interface: to basic editor and you will find that everything works again.

B

bokkatankie

As he said IE is gash, bin it & stop the auto updates too.
Not wishing to get into an IE the rest hissing fit, it all worked well until the new update that ARRSE has done.

We still have the problem of Quick links, we still have the problems in Last 50. It is not IE it is the update, if it worked before the update why not now?

Many of us for a range of reasons are limited to IE, that is life, we cannot just change our browser to suit a change on ARRSE.

As he said IE is gash, bin it & stop the auto updates too.
Another expert... Don't have anything useful to add so why not a bit of meaningless drivel instead?

For most purposes IE and auto update suits me. Why would I want to change it? Oh yes, you don't like it. Reason enough to bin it I suppose.

You have to change your arrse settings. Set Message Editor Interface: to basic editor and you will find that everything works again.
Thanks EB ... I will try that when IE10 resurfaces

[Snip] ...Many of us for a range of reasons are limited to IE, that is life, we cannot just change our browser to suit a change on ARRSE.
But you seem to be overlooking the pearl of wisdom from the technical expert Ches above...

If you have removed IE 10 (system restore to before IE 10 was installed) and you don't what IE 10 to keep installing (it installs by default in Windows update) change your settings in windows update to "check for updates but let me choose which ones to download and install" and uncheck the box for the IE 10 update.

Capture windows update.jpg

Or if you are happy with IE 10 then change your ARRSE settings from "full WYSIWYG editor" to one of the other 2 options and your "return" will work but you will have less options (more basic) for posting and editing.

Capture - editor.jpg

B

bokkatankie

If you have removed IE 10 (system restore to before IE 10 was installed) and you don't what IE 10 to keep installing (it installs by default in Windows update) change your settings in windows update to "check for updates but let me choose which ones to download and install" and uncheck the box for the IE 10 update.

View attachment 119607

Or if you are happy with IE 10 then change your ARRSE settings from "full WYSIWYG editor" to one of the other 2 options and your "return" will work but you will have less options (more basic) for posting and editing.

View attachment 119608

Just to really piss the geeks off, I updated to to IE10 today (at work) from IE9, did not work with IE9 (at home) and still does not work with IE10 (at work), whatever the ARRSE bandits have done is a **** up, much as I would like to say otherwise, they have taken a system that worked and, frankly, fucked it up.

Another expert... Don't have anything useful to add so why not a bit of meaningless drivel instead?

For most purposes IE and auto update suits me. Why would I want to change it? Oh yes, you don't like it. Reason enough to bin it I suppose.
Actually, IE is well known to be pish (not only that, but insecure as well), so he is not telling you to bin it because he dislikes it. At the end of the day its your choice, just like those who use avast and think they are well protected because they state that they have never had a virus since putting it on (thats because it didn't detect any, yet on putting a better antivirus program on his computer, my mate had loads), but my advice would be to move away from IE and go for something much more secure and better.

Having said that about IE, it may have improved a lot since, I have not really kept up with its progress as I never use it.

With the webdeveloper's nightmare browsers, IE6 and IE7 thankfully disappearing from even the most slow moving organisations' IT systems, IE is no longer a real problem for us. I don't think we've had any significant compatibility issues with IE8 or 9, and not many with IE10. As a result I was interested enough in the progress of IE to dig into how good or bad it is now. There is always a temptation to dismiss it as poor software based on its previous quirks.

This article from Tom's Hardware is a far more detailed review than I expected to find. The conclusion in a nutshell is that IE10 is pretty good. Not the best, and not good for developers or those that need lots of plugins, but quite fast and most importantly reasonably compliant with HTML and HTML5 standards (ie. it normally makes webpages look how they should - not a feature of previous versions).

Chrome was chosen as the best browser at the end of the review. Summary:

Upon adding the four non-performance metrics, Chrome takes the definitive lead in both operating systems. Firefox places second on both versions of Windows, ceding its performance lead and quite a bit more ground to Chrome in the areas of memory efficiency, security, and standards conformance. IE10 places third on its native Windows 8 platform. That's far from the show-stopping debut that bolstered IE9 just 18 months ago, but also a massive step forward from its predecessor's performance in Windows 7 today. Opera is sandwiched between the two versions of [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Internet [FONT=inherit !important]Explorer[/FONT][/FONT], finishing last under Windows 8, but outperforming IE9.[/FONT]
So there you have it: Chrome is still king under Windows, and Windows 8 trumps Windows 7. Internet Explorer 10 yields massive improvements in nearly every measure, but it's just not the clean sweep that IE9 was when it debuted.
Although Chrome steals the day, Firefox is seriously eroding Google's hallmark speed advantage. What's more, Mozilla's new [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]JavaScript[/FONT] engine is just right over the horizon. Can Firefox topple Chrome by virtue of its performance? When will Opera deliver the browser that version 12 was supposed to be? Stay tuned.[/FONT]
So there you have it. The most popular browser is no longer the utter rubbish it once was.

With the webdeveloper's nightmare browsers, IE6 and IE7 thankfully disappearing from even the most slow moving organisations' IT systems, IE is no longer a real problem for us. I don't think we've had any significant compatibility issues with IE8 or 9, and not many with IE10. As a result I was interested enough in the progress of IE to dig into how good or bad it is now. There is always a temptation to dismiss it as poor software based on its previous quirks.

This article from Tom's Hardware is a far more detailed review than I expected to find. The conclusion in a nutshell is that IE10 is pretty good. Not the best, and not good for developers or those that need lots of plugins, but quite fast and most importantly reasonably compliant with HTML and HTML5 standards (ie. it normally makes webpages look how they should - not a feature of previous versions).

Chrome was chosen as the best browser at the end of the review. Summary:

So there you have it. The most popular browser is no longer the utter rubbish it once was.

I use IE and have found that IE 8 & 9 (especially 9) is as good as any other browser but like everything it's down to personal preferences.
In my household at the moment the browsers being used by family are Chrome, Opera, IE and Firefox so I've used most of them but go back to IE !