Retroactive British Awards

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
All,

I had always assumed (and posts passim here have appeared to buttress this assumption) that British gallantry awards were never awarded (as opposed to campaign medals) retroactively much beyond the standard award cycle. Whilst researching something else entirely, I came upon a Gazette entry from Sept 2006 awarding a Distinguished Conduct Medal for an action during Op Granby, 15.5 years after the conclusion of that conflict and 13 years after that medal was discontinued (link and copied text below). To that end, is there any process to this, or is it a case of the Sovereign's discretion?

The London Gazette Publication date: 8 September 2006 Supplement: 58092 Page: 12274

MINISTRY OF DEFENCE
Whitehall, London SW1
8th September 2006
The Queen has been graciously pleased to approve the award of Distinguished Conduct Medal to the undermentioned in recognition of gallant and distinguished services during operations in the Gulf in 1991:
(To be dated 29 June 1991)

ROYAL NAVY
Distinguished Conduct Medal
DCM
Sergeant Terence Powell, Royal Marines (P030902A) (now retired).

postiebear

Old-Salt
He may be ex special forces and his award is now being gazettes as now left the service

This has happened with other special forces gallantry medals

Regards

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All,

I had always assumed (and posts passim here have appeared to buttress this assumption) that British gallantry awards were never awarded (as opposed to campaign medals) retroactively much beyond the standard award cycle. Whilst researching something else entirely, I came upon a Gazette entry from Sept 2006 awarding a Distinguished Conduct Medal for an action during Op Granby, 15.5 years after the conclusion of that conflict and 13 years after that medal was discontinued (link and copied text below). To that end, is there any process to this, or is it a case of the Sovereign's discretion?

The London Gazette Publication date: 8 September 2006 Supplement: 58092 Page: 12274

MINISTRY OF DEFENCE
Whitehall, London SW1
8th September 2006
The Queen has been graciously pleased to approve the award of Distinguished Conduct Medal to the undermentioned in recognition of gallant and distinguished services during operations in the Gulf in 1991:

ROYAL NAVY
DCM

Possibly and only a gigantic guess, could he have been on mission that at the time had to be kept quiet?

Edit to add, Just read the wiki entry that says he was SBS

List of British gallantry awards for Operation Granby - Wikipedia

Edited again to further add there appears to be several awards made years after the conflict had ended.

All,

MINISTRY OF DEFENCE
Whitehall, London SW1
8th September 2006

ROYAL NAVY
DCM
Looks like he’s sold his gongs: VIDEO EXCLUSIVE: The Armourer at Bosleys Militaria Auction
....including a Distinguished Conduct Medal Group of Eight representing the military career of Warrant Officer Terrence Powell who joined the Royal Marines, Special Boat Service and Royal Navy, which sold for an astonishing £52,000.

ugly

LE
Its retrospective award, retroactive is completely different.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Its retrospective award, retroactive is completely different.
In what way is it retrospective as opposed to retroactive? The 2006 citation stated that the award was to be dated effective of 1991. This is by definition retroactive.

Or did you mean that the Gazette entry was retrospective? i.e. that the receipient was awarded the DCM in 1991, but it Gazetted retrospectively? This would I suppose make some sense given the Special Forces nature of the awardee, although certain other SF types were Gazetted for awards at the time.

ugly

LE
Retroactive is the wrong word

All,

It may have been true at some point, but I couldn't tell you when that was. It certainly wasn't the case prior to WW1: the VC was originally not awarded posthumously, when it finally was, there were a wave of retrospective awards to men who had undeniably qualified (the Gazette used to publish them as "would have been awarded the VC had he lived") but who had been killed in action.

What you say about the Sovereign's discretion has a ring of truth to it, however, as it eventually emerged that one of the families in that first wave of posthumous VCs *already had* a medal, which Queen Victoria had commissioned and issued on the quiet...

There's no real mystery, here: let me try and guide you through the murky mire of The London Gazette.

The original OP GRANBY awards supplement was LG Supplement No 52588 dated 29 June 1991. In that Supplement there were 3 unidentified Soldiers.

Subsequent Supplements in 1997 gazetted the 3 soldiers as Ratcliffe, Maguire and Woodrow after all had retired/discharged from Regular service. All were Gazetted to Parachute Regiment, their parent Regiment.

LG Supplement No 52601 dated 12 July 1991 included the award of a DCM to an unidentified Royal Marine-this was Powell.

His DCM was formally Gazetted in his own name in 2006, again after he had retired from Regular service.

The Gazette has quite a lot of these - for example, the Op Barras awards for those with SF connections were gazetted some time after the event, as were those for participants in the Balcony Display Team’s most famous appearance on TV. I think I’m right in saying that the Chinook pilot with 3 DFCs only had one of his awards gazetted at the ‘right’ time; the one with the CGC certainly didn't have it gazetted at the time other awards for the same action were; I forget if the same applies to his DFC.

Rather than the awards themselves being retrospective, it’s simply the announcement of the awards (or the names of recipients in the case of Granby) being delayed. I was working with one of those decorated for Barras - he went to the palace to receive his medal at the same time as members of 1 PARA who’d been decorated, but their names had appeared in the LG, whereas his didn’t for several years.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
There's no real mystery, here: let me try and guide you through the murky mire of The London Gazette.

The original OP GRANBY awards supplement was LG Supplement No 52588 dated 29 June 1991. In that Supplement there were 3 unidentified Soldiers.

Subsequent Supplements in 1997 gazetted the 3 soldiers as Ratcliffe, Maguire and Woodrow after all had retired/discharged from Regular service. All were Gazetted to Parachute Regiment, their parent Regiment.

LG Supplement No 52601 dated 12 July 1991 included the award of a DCM to an unidentified Royal Marine-this was Powell.

His DCM was formally Gazetted in his own name in 2006, again after he had retired from Regular service.
Well that makes sense. As @ugly posted above, this is a case of a retrospective entry rather than a retroactive award then.

Thanks for all the posts ladies and gents, as often ARRSE can be an education.

ugly

LE
Well that makes sense. As @ugly posted above, this is a case of a retrospective entry rather than a retroactive award then.

Thanks for all the posts ladies and gents, as often ARRSE can be an education.
I still feel even awards made after evidence comes to light is retrospective awarding rather than retroactive.

Latest Threads