Retired US Gen Zinni Urges Decision on McChrystals Request

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Oct 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gen. Zinni weighs in on the decision to reinforce Afghanistan. Although reputed to have been a supporter of Obama, he was reportedly also treated rather badly when led to believe he would get the nod for ambassador to Iraq and Obama's political handlers apparently pulled the rug out from under him.

2. Doubtful I think. More likely internal State Department politics advised Clinton to appoint one of their own diplomats instead of Zinni. State is notorious for doing things like that.

Zinni was not her choice (it was Jones') and the offer made to him was without her input. He was offered Saudi Arabia but told them to screw off.

Whatever happened it was mishandled badly.

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/02/04/zinni_unloads

3. Thanks for the clarification. I was mainly trying to make that point of it being screwed up in terms of his possible biases etc.

4. JJH, thanks, interesting as always.

Just a question on a minor point from the article, Zinni was never a commander IN Afghanistan, he was rather COM CENTCOM ?
    That's by the by, my real question for you with your insight, where is King David in all this right now, it appears the present COM CENTCOM is out of the (public) loop on this one?

5. Correct-Zinni was CINC, CENTCOM. I puzzle a bit over the command relationships myself--from all I have seen, McChrystal was picked by the administration (no doubt with input from Sir David and others) but presumably reports through CENTCOM to the JCS and Natl Sec Council.